or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

Your guess pretty much answers itself and contradicts your initial premise.   The original iPod was just music.  So there was no 'reduction,' just refinement. The shuffle served a job that Apple wanted to fill for its consumers [highly mobile set and forget music player for highly active people].   If anything, the iPod Touch was the outlier [an iPhone without the phone].  The shuffle is mainstream, distilled back to the core. With the iPhone, and iPad,  Apple is building...
 While I agree being CEO of a company INVESTED in by Google is much different than being CEO OF GOOGLE and sitting on Apple's Board, (the former has no reason to bring up Apple business in the context of Calico… the latter, there was no way to separate the roles in your brain… and your primary job is to maximize GOOG value) the conflict (to me) is less about confidential business plans... ...and more about being a full time CEO of a serious startup (everything about...
 Siri is hands free… my guess is iPad's still are considered more visual. TouchID… I have a strong feeling that the Big iPad(s?) will get TouchID.   More often than not, as a professional mobile workstation, the stuff on my iPad is more sensitive than my iPhone (well, basically, in iCloud, it's on both;-)
 quite possibly the A6x… just to make it align with the performance window of the current iPad 4. the Mini is the 'low cost consumer iPad'   Consider the 'iPad' the 'useful professional' mobility device. The bigger question is M7 to me… The Mini is more likely to be useful 'out of the box' with M7  and as it would be with a larger 'professional' platform'  and can the M7 offload the A6x processor. ("Dr Jones is leaving  the W14 conference room walking with Dr Smith and...
 maybe… but I doubt it… if anything, I would think it be smaller (that said,bezels are required for a thumb pinch and/or a stand, and allow for more battery). The iPad Retina aspect ratio is pretty locked down… unless they are going to a new technology that is significantly better in visual presentation at the same or less price  (amoLED… doubtful given the state of the shelf), I don't see them either adding pixels or making them bigger [as that reduces the RD resolution]....
This is the interesting tech thought… typically open/free/competitively-multi-sourced are considered the baseline for commodity business stuff, such as cash registers and the whatnot. I do think that 'secure,' 'supported,' and 'solid' (reputation, construction, architecture etc). are key words now.   The price point for support of an iPad is a lot lower than an OEM (or integrator) building a device out of Windows and 'a reasonable set of motherboards, power supplies, and...
2. The nice thing about NeXTSTEP kernel was that it DID run on most of those platforms you listed;-), and was pretty full functioned as a microkernel.   It moved up to OSX nicely, but it's still there.  Moving to ARM and then building a new UI on top of that (not using OSX's APIs and forcing it into a small 1/2GB RAM footprint.  It may have not been designed for smartphones, but it was a microkernel from the CMU days, and therefore wasn't like an NT based solution (or a...
 Think bigger.  PadBookAir (13" retina touchscreen, SSD,  Thunderbolt, LTE, 'ac',  iPad and integrated keyboard/trackpad, TouchID). I agree the AppleTV is a platform that can use more power… but… an ARM iOS laptop… no Intel (and that $100+ tax on their chipset), and no Samsung. Sell it with either Mac OSX or iOS on it.    ...and everything Surface wanted to be but couldn't  (you want desktop or mobile OS… Or even dual boot/emulation… yeah, we got it.)
The C is being targeted as a more flexible mid range device… maintains apple's target margin, and allows the carriers to make money on the sale of the device (about 30% of the subscriber fee… before data/usage fees)… And Apple users use more bandwidth (I've got 4 phones on my  plan, running a 6gb plan (and we had overages last month… a lot of time on the road)… which again is more profit (if you don't want that overage… you overbuy… and there are no 'rolloverg GBs'...
 In a month, AS THE ARTICLE STATES, the developer has the choice to support iOS6 32bit AND/OR iOS 7 32/64 bit from the same xCode kit.    In other words, don't blame Apple, blame the developer.   This would be no different from a change in an API/SDK that is not in iOS6.  The developer could decide not support those not upgrading, or they fork the code and build 2 apps… one for the left behinds, and one for the current state. Technology marches onward.  Every once and a...