or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

we did read it.  2 days ago.   You're  It's bad in a macro sense. but that horse left via the open gate a long time ago.  Update when you can, but it's not like your system will be taken over in the next 15 minutes if you don't (well, unless you're in some really bad part of the Internet at the moment). And you're advice is really short sighted. The patch is the first step... in practice now every password has to be changed whereever you thought it  passed directly to a...
around me (a Blackberry shop) most people already say the iphone is dead (and quoting numbers as apple's reported to the SEC numbers are lies).  I'm now just biting my lip, and giggling, as they sound like Thurott/Dvorak smurfs
BYOD will drive the business purchases in general down. The growth market for Macs is home and education (all those cheap 10 year old pcs are dying, and and edu discount mac Mini and/or macbook air make huge sense for an iPad leading market). Most businesses that have 'We only allow PCs in our corporate fiefdom' are moving to 'Our apps are in the cloud' in either a true web app, or in a Virtual Desktop Instance (VDI). As Business move understand the cost of...
good catch.     didn't look at the column totals equalling 100%, therefore making that transitory analysis possible (I glanced and thought the rows would total to 100%... presentation sneakiness to drive a false point). One must remember that this is only 'smart phones'  Samsung still sells 'feature phones,' where Apple does not.  But every 2 years, the decisions comes into play of when does a person convert to a smartphone. Apple is competitive in all $$ demographics in...
 Today carrier's don't... in the apple smartphone model.   If you consider your phone OS 'content', Carriers controlled that... they controlled voice mail.  The controlled texting... they controlled your contact lists...  They controlled your games... Funny how Apple is collecting the rent for the music labels, who build, market, promote and carry the risk of the 'apartment'... and then gives the labels 70%.  I think you need to pick your examples better. Where cable vs...
Saw your post, and disagree heartily.    Apple's definition of success and yours are different.  You need to accept that. Google's market value ($404B USD) aligns with Wall Street's total domination principles.  Google wants to be inside every home, every computer, every phone, every car, every bed, every neuron... because we are thinking about the technology that can make it happen.   And it costs... NOTHING.  " We sell Ads (Wall Street is just down from Madison avenue......
One would argue that iOS is becoming the 'search engine major domo' picking the best source of info based on what you are 'looking for' Both Apple and Google are driving context awareness into their mobile devices and OSes. As for 'new product every year or it will lose [Wall Street defined] shareholder value....' I think your definition of 'success' is different than Apple's.To Apple, success is the creation of a long term impact on the human experience that transcends...
I agree in general.. but it's about 'experience' which Apple believes starts with the handset/tablet/laptop/appliance.  It's still about 'phones' (pocket communications computers), in that Apple wants to make the net experience a quantum above everyone else... and that starts with the phone/pad/pod. As for phone profits, they do care, only in the fact that they want to project/extract maximum value at the entrance to the ecosystem, and make the rest of it painless (the...
My gut feel is :-Very little, especially at the high end.  Samsung's current high end devices are not under any legal or tariff limits... those phones would by these counts be in the bargain basement sales bin (were Samsung is leading anyway) -Very little (most racists I know [and I know a few... I live in the south, and work with a militarist crew] hate apple because of foxconn... almost none can explain where the Samsung or LG they use is made [it ain't made in...
In other words, Samsung has to do everything it can to win this market [read: lower prices even more, - less profit equals WIN!] while Analysts will consider Apple  a failure if it doesn't gain market share in the lower incomes without losing share at the high end profit end- [Less profits per unit equal LOSE!]. In the end.  It's not even about phones.   it's about ecosystem.   The key balance that Apple has to maintain is that they need to capture the people who are...