or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

and what phone does Sir Mix a Lot use?
 In the future the 'belts and suspenders' will be there for those who need it.  If nothing else now the 4 digit pin (and a lowered lockout - 5 tries) becomes useful again.   A thumbprint and a pattern (that's my password…. I really can't even tell you what the characters are unless I look at the keyboard).   3 factor authentication  agreed.  The use case for this is the stolen/lost/unattended phone/ipad… and 'stealing passwords' via social engineering, or just good optics...
 It is however, the bellwether iPhone.    and in the stock market 'bellwether >> flagship' the 5s charts the future course, but the 5c is the 'financial workhorse'   (alliteration not intended).    Sales of the 5c, (whether ever reported directly, or how they contribute to 'total iPhone sales' and ASP) for the next quarter will be the primary worry of wall street, because the it's the $100 and $1 phones that sell the most, and in the past drag down the ASP.   If you read...
Agreed.  Not only do they not control the IDE,  the IDE doesn't have a clue on what architectures are coming out next week (in theory), and if they did, they'd have to compromise across the 20 odd HW variations to make them all work. The key on making binary architectures work, is to control the software, and design the hardware to exploit it.  And then Visa Versa.  Apple is doing that in spades.   Microsoft… maybe in 20 years.  
 well my electrical engineering glasses were on when I read this and the referenced articles and the fact that the a7 chip has both 64bit and 32bit cores makes 'compatibility mode' somewhat spurious.  Obviously you need better glasses, as you don't see the basic architecture of the a7.   Out of the box,  if it was compiled in 32bit, you run in 32bit.  and obtw, the next run through Xcode, create a universal binary, send to AppStore, and you're running 64 bit.   Apple's...
 4s... yep... it will go to that $299 level... or lowerRemember a lot of carrier/gov't contracts have 'minimum number of production/replacement years'  My guess is we have at least 2 full years to cover a 4 year iPhone 4 coverage [gotta to have the same formfactor... specifically the cable support] the 5c... my guess is it will:be updated every 6-9  months Will incrementally add 5s capabilities first A7 Chip/M7 (the May 14 5c) Then camera (the October 5c... oh then the 5s...
  'requiring a quota' can or can't be illegal... but 'stipulating a quota for discounts' is not. Typically quotas are for a discount rate.  Apple wants a defined production rate, and Docomo wants to get as much 'profit' as possible per iphone sale, and therefore will commit to receiving X devices per month at a net discount on a 24 month schedule.    Perfect for Apple in reducing production variance risk, and good for docomo, as it can lower it's short term risk (more...
 Apple by nature (since it's NeXT days) has fully supported universal development [at one point RS6000,HP-RISC, Intel, 68K, and rumors of MIPS binaries for OpenSTEP existed as 'fat' binaries].   That's now over 20 years of experience.   It's the reason why moving OSX  to Intel went relatively smoothly.  And once off Carbon , moving to 64bit was even easier. The closer you are to the iron the harder the port.  with iOS, it's REALLY hard to get down to the silicon, so...
 And who has better control of their operating system?
 64 bit _is_ the obvious progression... However the timing of their announcement reeks of FUDishment.    And really... how many people buy a phone because of its internal datapath bandwidth?    eventually, all phones will have a fingerprint reader... just like [almost] every keyboard is QWERTY [or Kanji or whatever]... It's an expected interface standard. Natural selection in the consumer marketplace.