or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

Great.  the 1% of the world that develops gets great tools to create crappy apps (really, the problem with MS isn't their dev environment, it's that they had no Dev STYLE).   Apple for all it's limitations... drives developers to a really decent first level UI.   Now there are some magicians who make even Apple's UX stodgy, but at least Apple makes them aim high, and THINK about how the user uses the app. 
Again, it's a fine line.   choice is good.  but minimum standards to protect the stupid, and their contacts. The fact that a kill switch can also be used to disable a subset populace makes me cringe... That's why I choose apple vs carrier sponsored phones.   But in general... there are a lot bigger problems I wish my congress would be working on.
Phones and Wireless spectrum are a regulated industry.   Unfortunately this is way outside of making sure the spectrum is used for the public good. But at the same token it's a 'social good' thing, sort of like driving, and requiring you wear seat belts and have insurance.   If you lose your smart phone, _I'M_ at risk - of personal data theft, of being socially engineered for malicious intent, or even physical harm ('find friends'... your crazy ex steals my phone and...
Opinions vary.    you connect to wires when you don't move.   TVs don't move.   100Mbps is a minimum requirement for a good HD movie.  There will still be a hard line Internet into the house, and likely it will be coax.  or fiber. The content deals may be fragile, and if you play devils advocate, Cable companies have to plan for the future without lock in... and the future will be becoming 100Mb pipes to homes.... and if they don't partner with Apple, then Google and Apple...
Change will come, but it will come slow.   Blame your municipalities [selling your right to choose content providers to the highest bidder], not the content creators or the cable companies, and the FCC.
why did apple partner with ATT?Think about it.  Think hard.   What is an iPhone but a device that sells Data Plans?  What is a cable box but a box that sells cable content. Then think about the content that a cable co has  That's there value...  They've locked up delivery of content... often with exclusive rights to geopgraphies.   Apple couldn't get the content now think about and how bad the cable box interface is.   Most of the interface is a bad remote.   How do you...
iPads can't make coffee or sort the magazines in a business sense either.  90% of what a company does on computers is not Photoshop or AutoCad.  (I will admit there are some companies where VBA is used in a large percentage of their business process flows).   Reading and writing documents is what most decision makers do anyway.  Business Flow grade (VBAs) Excel is the outlier app.  Just about everything else can be easily created on an iPad, and created on an iPhone. iPads...
You'd swear that you guys see the words BluRay and Apple in a sentence,and you go Pavlovianlngly direct to "Never gonna happen?" Sigh...  you don't see the beauty of using HDMI control channels to build out a 'entertainment center' the size of an AirportExtreme? Not an Apple bluRay SKU, but an internal framework to allowing an app to control it.  Again, Apple isn't selling it, they are just creating an intelligent HDMI-IN port on their box.   It's the HDMI IN with...
this?  this?  This is likely a completely new set of Hardware... a 75ohm connector, hdmi 1.4 controls (for stuff like turning the TV on/off, changing the channel with your apple remote), connectivity for inbound blu-ray (never say never), communications to a cable box.... etc. an api already exists.... sheesh.