or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

silly title.    I think it's less a 'Challenge' than a 'homage'?     I don't think Apple's sales will be 'challenged' by the introduction of  a flippable USB cable.  In fact it will align with Apple's keep it simple cabling mode (something that they've been doing since the NeXT, where all cables inserted with the label side up).   And I don't see USB designers going 'Dammit Jim, We're losing the connection war... We got to make our plugs flippable! or Apple will take...
Why? Breaks the Apple iDevice metaphor, for very little upside for Apple. I (and Apple) don't want an iPad inside of each 'thing' I have... I want my singular iPad to 'talk to everything' I have.   
Why years away... if they can do it about things on the ground in mapping software, then I see them doing it with a face.  pretty quickly. as for both face and fingerprint, look at the 'shared device' use case. User A picks up device... device 'sees' who it is...  That maps to a data set of authenticators, including finger printsDisplays missed notifications to you based on your identity.User A logs in does stuff, locks phoneUser B (Mrs A) picks up device... devices 'sees'...
Again,   the main(probabilistically) threat vectors are someone you know anyway (Wives, husbands, mothersFathers, sisters and brothers), with apologies to Alabama 3*).  Then people you let near your phone (waiters, co-workers, etc.)   If they can get the 3D portion of it down (or verify analog movement), this makes for a nice 'notification shield'.  e.g. I'd love to show my messages on my phone when the lock screen is on, but corporate policy [and client sensitivity]...
Build quality, and attention to long view details.  MB builds cars to serve it's owner for a long time.  If you focus on selling a car every 2(lease)-5(loan) years, you build them differently. You see that in the race to the bottom markets of Android, Windows XP.    And when you buy a MB, they retain value, and are 'reused' in the non-retail market (hand down to child, or sold on the private market). The iPad 2 is like the G5 iMac.   Quite limited in terms of current...
everywhere.   For a long time.   And this story has no AI legs.  Agree with Tallest Skil
At $199 a camera and the requirement of a high speed uplink internet connection that is always on... well, it's obvious that other on premise camera surveillance systems start to become more realistic in value ($300-$1300), once you get to 3 or more cameras. While HD is nice for detail, new 700p cams are now pretty inexpensive, and come with better IR, and getting on premise storage eliminates the uplink bottleneck (which most people don't have more than a MB of upstream...
 OR...  every analyst is wrong. The bottom line is the 5c is the 'wheeler-dealer' phone.  It allows deeper discounts and bundling without affecting profits as much.   It has the iPhone '5' cachet, at a lower price.  It's not meant to be the highest volume selling phone... it's meant to be the 'next phone' you'd think about if you don't have he money or the need for a 5s
Or the data was right for a brief moment in time.... it's the hyperbole that everyone else puts around it.  A supply chain bottleneck could be on a customs hold on a part, or container ship being routed 4 days out of harms way prior to a cyclone hitting the phillipines,  or a DHL truck got hijacked with 2 cajillion itty bitty diodes used in displays, or... maybe it was a yield issue due to bad batch/line, that got fixed ("Set the Dial to 10lbs/in^2, NOT 10KG/m^2!  This...
No... just current or recent past.   Never mind... I sort of answered my own question.... apparently you could not.