or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

It's the classic,  OEM vs OS battlefront.... Same song different verse of:  "Apple is the 3rd leading PC maker, but Microsoft sells 92% of the PC OS licenses...' (2005). The problem with Android is that it's not an 'ecosystem' like Windows was (welcome to the fact that most of your 'computing' is done at the other end of an HTTP/HTTPS  pipe.)  Apple even more than MS back in the day, sells a consumer solution.   Android... well it sells an embedded OS that you may or may...
 Microsoft... no.   Samsung... yes.  Google has no allies, only sources for eyeballs. While this is a copy of Microsoft's play,  they are going against 2 different installed bases. This is google realizing that you _may_ buy a chrome book, but it's likely you'll have an iPad or an iPhone,  and if they have to compete with iWork they will eventually lose (single ecosystem).   Better to keep a toe hold on users across browsers and platforms, until they figure out a winning...
<10%.   significant but not huge (consider that means they move from 10% of the market to 11%).  YoY growth wise, this is pretty yawn... esp from the days of 25-50% YoY growth.   pretty much stay the course. The 2nd sentence is more foretelling.   Cutting Samsung high end by 5-7.5Million phones (assume HTC et al get hit by the rest) , where they make real money ('all their money'), is a serious blow. And... this is where Apple's long game is always strong.   Let Samsung et...
I'm still certain there is a a7 MBA that get's exposed to Intel's CSuite every few months to remind Intel that Apple has long term options. But, there is little for Apple to build yet another chip class for their laptops.  As others have identified, Intel is still a generation ahead of everyone in general purpose CPU manufacturing, in terms of sub 20nm etches, clock speed, and energy consumption.  Apple is ahead on a very OS specific chip design, but they would have to...
opinions vary.   I think for the MBA target audience... 4GB is fine with 64bit Mavericks.   VM on an SSD with memory compression isn't like Jaguar with 4gb and a 5400 rpm HD, running 32 bit apps. Little of iTunes would be in VM.   Numbers would be the VM culprit, and with compression and caching, the impact is nominal (my wife's normal operating mode is either netflix/silverligh or safari/flash running (both killer apps for leaking memory), and Pages.   She's very happy...
I'd be worried if Samsung represented a compelling ecosystem. Amazon taking a loss or lower profits... but gaining CC# and amazon prime subscription memberships... capturing eyeballs and wallets. Samsung is a purchase cycle or 2 away from irrelevance. 1.5,3,7 years (phones, tablets/laptops, TVs/monitors). Their only compelling mass market (less tech geek) value is screen size vs price as far as I can tell... Profits in this model become a race to the bottom. Apple...
dunno... I was at BBY yesterday, and picked up one of those 15"  (sucky 16:9 screen)... gad, they felt like a plastic encased lead.  cheaper, yes. I agree the MBA is likely a major update, potentially coupled with an iPad update.   You infer a 12" screen in a later posting...  what do you think about a 14" MBA (11, 13, 14), and a 12" iPad (with less bezel?)? My looking at the market for 'mobile computers' (vs mobile computing.... phones), is that the selling point is the...
and my guess it would be 899 (11)/999(13)/1099(11rd)/1199(13rd)which would butt up against 1299 13"MBPrd price  (and the 1199 MBPreg  is the crossover point... which I think will disappear). and I would think there would be another cpu refresh at that time and/or memory (more)
I think the keys are 1) fractional sell-offs for those who have 20 (140) or less shares 2) the cost of Options goes up, ROI on Options based speculation [and the need to feed it] goes down (sog35... good point) 3) less institutional investing, more personal investing - primarily because of the lower cost of entry for a std purchase (100 shares) - but also individuals look at the stock price, and less Price/Earning or forward earnings estimates, when they determine if a...
I'm holding all my money in reserve (living on an iPad2 as my portable computer now) for that to happen.