or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

where is 'here' and what flavor?  It could be a particular model and packaging combination.  (a CDMA/LTE phone sent to lower Elbonia waiting for the Elbonic translated box).
based on reports like above, I would think the fact that iPhone Inventory flies through a warehouse (literally for the 'accepted' scan and waiting for the outbound truck to the retailer)... sucking the dust off all the Samsung and Nexus phones in it's vortex.
guidance will likely show up once the deal is a) final b) China Mobile launched, and c) CM orders their first restocking shipment, and no later than Dec 24 (I'm assuming... anything later, and you're just into the middle of the holidays, and Oppenheimer will just have to be locked that soundproof and cell phone proof iPhone testing room for a week to keep the information secret from the rest of the company, thus they are blissfully ignorant of the 'real numbers.'   Once...
err, welcome to publicly traded companies.if they don't announce once they see a substantial (+/- 10%) factual and confirmed change in earnings, then all the 'insiders' can't buy or sell stocks, until it's publicly announced. I'm sure some on the Board  and the CSuite may like to realize profits (or buy more shares) based on stuff like this*.  Also, it allows them to tell their suppliers about increased demand without setting off rumor alarms. * it's year end... if not...
I would expect an updated and upward guidance sometime after the 18th.     Much like they updated their guidance a week after they announced the 5s and 5c (I really think they hedged on the release date assuming it was gonna release in October, given all the hints about supply constraints, and setting up new lines for the 5c)   Given that Apple had little control over China Mobile's LTE roll-out, I would assume they assumed the worst.  Don't book revenue until it's...
I think the 'competition' is at the other end in the component manufacturing.   If you build a disk or a monitor, what interfaces are you going to support?  In the death spiral of low margins, avoiding low market demand (firewire, displayport, even DVI in the beginning, and now Thunderbolt), high cost components is design de jur.
silly title.    I think it's less a 'Challenge' than a 'homage'?     I don't think Apple's sales will be 'challenged' by the introduction of  a flippable USB cable.  In fact it will align with Apple's keep it simple cabling mode (something that they've been doing since the NeXT, where all cables inserted with the label side up).   And I don't see USB designers going 'Dammit Jim, We're losing the connection war... We got to make our plugs flippable! or Apple will take...
Why? Breaks the Apple iDevice metaphor, for very little upside for Apple. I (and Apple) don't want an iPad inside of each 'thing' I have... I want my singular iPad to 'talk to everything' I have.   
Why years away... if they can do it about things on the ground in mapping software, then I see them doing it with a face.  pretty quickly. as for both face and fingerprint, look at the 'shared device' use case. User A picks up device... device 'sees' who it is...  That maps to a data set of authenticators, including finger printsDisplays missed notifications to you based on your identity.User A logs in does stuff, locks phoneUser B (Mrs A) picks up device... devices 'sees'...
Again,   the main(probabilistically) threat vectors are someone you know anyway (Wives, husbands, mothersFathers, sisters and brothers), with apologies to Alabama 3*).  Then people you let near your phone (waiters, co-workers, etc.)   If they can get the 3D portion of it down (or verify analog movement), this makes for a nice 'notification shield'.  e.g. I'd love to show my messages on my phone when the lock screen is on, but corporate policy [and client sensitivity]...