or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

be on the watch for a new Safari, faster and encorporating some Mavericks style stuff in Mountain Lion.   Developers got a Beta last week for testing against extensions
This is pretty straightforward.  and 31% seems reasonable.   But no on Quad Cores for the phone and no on 64bit registers.  One or both of those make sense for next year, and no sense in the iPhone.  Maybe Quad Core in a "one more thing" on a new iPad, but given it's compute profile, more/better GPUs make more sense.    64 bit... makes no sense until you build an OS and a development set to take advantage of it, and retiring HW that doesn't support it*, and a reference...
A variation on this theme:   Since: Design Secrecy is a key factor for Apple.  You can submit to the US FCC your plans in confidence.   In China, it is assumed that it's not the case (anything you provide to the Chinese gov't is the 'peoples property' and is provided/leaked to chinese manufacturers.   Could it be that this is a byproduct of  Apple's keeping manufacturing methods and designs secret until product release?  Don't submit it to Chinese certification until the...
greasing palms not withstanding, when it comes to building phones,  it's radio frequency testing that requires the biggest and latest stage time delay... if you change your radios out, you need retesting.     So, if Apple is moving to  - 802.11ac(draft) on all devices (requiring a new WiFi Radio and ideally multi antenna configuration) - a single chip to support CDMA (and China Mobile TD-SCDMA), GSM, and LTE flavors from around the world    ...
agreed.   OTOH, the US(western Europe/JudeoXian) holiday Sales Season (Oct-Jan) is critical for apple and its retail partners.  You gotta prioritize your opportunities.     Chinese New Year chronologically after this, And Int'l Labor day (may 1) is sort of a personal shopping day...  That said, Xmas is becoming more prevalent in younger chinese society, again more of a childrens gifting day from parents. 
great... Now we have a farewell tour to look forward to.
 I used the Paper Tape (DECTape) to actually store programs... I used a KSR33 with tape reader to bootstrap my 6502 based robot via an RS232 line, and then upload any handpatched code while we debugged the robot.   This allowed me to boot my robot away from it's RS232 nipple to my RSX system. (the KSR was nominally more portable;-).  EPROM was too expensive to load from, and I didn't want to have a floppy drive (this was before 5 1/4"  8" drives were heavy and power...
  as a competitor.  No, not right away, but introducing a set of national competitor (scale) against cable cos who have never had to compete to survive... It will be like a pack of wolves descending on a kennel show.  Verizon and ATT and Sprint and TMobile... remember almost all give away phone minutes... the only things they can compete on are price per GB, GBs/month, and quality.  If for nothing else, PPV and low end internet contracts will dry up quickly (and expanded...
Pretty soon the cable monopoly will be looked at like the phone monopoly.    And the tipping point will be LTE/MiFi (and/or FIOS services), coupled with internet content,   I'm moving to a city of <50,000, and they have community based FIOS built out in their Electrical grid, with upto 100mbps service now.   In the end, All of this will expose the fact that the content distribution rights holders (studios, production holding companies, networks) and not cable...
Hmmm, where?  In a jar on his desk?  In his briefcase?   Did Laureen approve this?     Tim Cook... ABC