or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

Hmmm, where?  In a jar on his desk?  In his briefcase?   Did Laureen approve this?     Tim Cook... ABC
welcome to the plutocracy... thems with the gold makes the rules.   Icahn is self aggrandizing.   But that said,  If he were an 'institution' he'd be number 5, edging out Northern Trust. It's significant.      and if you think the top institutional investors don't call Tim/BoD members and discuss ways to make their investment more lucrative, you are living a fool's folly.  They just don't make it public (they 'leak it' ;-) ).   And most of the first...
no.  That comparison is like saying "The Predator is an alien Dutch."     We all know they are very different (one hunts for fun, one hunts because that's what he's paid to do).   to run with that, I would say "Amazon is to Walmart as The Predator is to Dutch"      And the amazon ecosystem is not selling at a loss (at least not much of one).  In fact until 2011, it was operating at the same margins as Walmart.   In the battle of highly integrated systems, Amazon and Apple...
  Your Dad was lucky to have a slide rule.  My dad had stone tablets with all mathematical calculations carved into it by the babylonians to plot the path of the stars in heavens.  And his dad had to approximate long division using sticks and bundles of sticks...   (apologies and ob. reference to Monty Python... the mother of all 'we had it toof  in my day' riffs)   http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/jokes/monty-python-four-yorkshiremen.html  
Why?  Do you have inside poop on their infrastructure?     No matter what a chrome book would have put more wifi demands on the internal infrastructure, and likely more demands on the Internet Uplink.  That said, everything I read about Ames' infrastructure tells me it's primarily in the cloud.   It's interesting that they are more concerned about providing 'student friendly' WIFI outside of school.   And creating iOS and android apps for parents to 'tap into' school...
wow.  wow.  (NB  I was in Ames yesterday... for a coffee break).   MBAs.... in HS.   How much you wanna guess iPads will end up in 6-7-8 grade eventually (bookless classes).   I do agree, if I'm tasking students to create 5 10 page papers every semesters, I'm gonna hate to read what comes off of an iPad keyboard.   My curiousity is the classroom ergometrics with laptops vs pads...     It also normalizes the low income kids who don't have parents who invest...
  Yes, as consumer computing becomes closer to the human, it will be form, function and fashion.   The fact that they hired a fitness person away from Nike also blends into this...    Nike, YSL, Levis.  All product a 'brand' that can carry a higher sticker price, yet have high repeat customers, a high perceived quality score, and push fashion design (well, maybe not Levi's), and are all international brands.   Makes sense that Tim is forming a brain trust for the next big...
And it took 5 years of losses for xBox to make a profit, and another 3 years to recoup the previous losses.   8 years to break even?  Only Amazon can make that sell to Wall Street;-)
true...   You make em at 300, and write them off at 799.   The tax benefit still won't shelter the whole loss.   "Yeah, we give 'em away, but we make it up on the volume"  
    That's a long view attitude.  And works when you have a quality product compared to the market (I get Better?... for FREE?) and a 5 year plan for recovery.     MS stockholders won't buy it.