or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

The nice thing about Apple's solution is that it's battle hardened.  Apple Pay is effectively built upon the same technology as signed apps, so the underlying stuff is solid.   This isn't new tech.  It's 10 year old tech that has gone through 3 major revisions. The beauty of PKI is that it works.  The hassle is to build an end to end solution with enough network value (Metcalf's Law) to attract commerce.   Apple has built one.  Apple built the underpinnings of this for DRM...
err..  that info is given to every recipient of a check.   Has been for almost for over 60 years.
I think the issue is that Apple is not offering a different payment option... the issuing banks that are partnering with Apple are the competitors to MCX.   This is the opposite of Apple suing Samsung instead of Google about Android features.  Apple is providing a technology that the banks are choosing to use.    This is more like Amex vs Visa.  Not TouchID vs a sharp stick in the eye (as much as the latter is more appropriate). What galls me is that CVS already has their...
When they throw one in with a TV purchase, that's the bottom.
Well, If you look at the true technical reviews, they are very long as well.  However, I don't think this has quite the signal:noise ratio than say a John Siracusa review.   And DED will always spend a paragraph reviewing the competition when a footnote will do.   The Org iPad Mini is an excellent tool, but I think as Apps march on, it's just a little under capable.   the iPad 2 (which I have), under 8.1 is showing signs of overload.   It will likely be relegated as the...
That's closer to the truth now.  iTunes, iphoto, Contacts, Mail, reminders, iMessage, Pages/Numbers/Keynote etc etc. all have different syncing control methods.     iTunes Sync was a good idea when you had an iPod Classic.  As soon as the the iPhone arrived, a new sync tool was needed. If you look at syncing 2-to-many devices, I think the metaphor of managing printer devices is the better model. take the Sync windows from iTunes, change the view to show all devices...
We are in violent agreement.The apps can link where appropriate and there's no reason why I can't buy a DVD in the Movies app, that doesn't include a link to the ebook  that automatically opens in the iBooks app.  And there's no reason what a 'spotlight' capabilility couldn't be built into every app to show 'things related to your search intent' and let people cross link if they want.(we should only assume it's a drag because of the current HW... in a couple years, context...
What I responded to was where s/He hammered home it was all about security and convenience.  or maybe I misunderstand the statement "There is no added security" ... or maybe you did. context.
Less bloated is like saying 'The Titanic is now taking on water at a slower rate' eBooks is one of the few.  (iTunes University drove this). and it's still in the way in the iTunes App on the Mac. unmitigated is a valid term (really, what have they done to fix it... UI is 'skin deep' (beauty is only skin deep, but ugly runs clear to the bone)).  And disaster is also true if you look at how Apple has arguably a great ecosystem, but is getting outflanked on it's own hardware...
To this I agree.   Although I was thinking IBM/Lotus Notes as the unmitigated disaster (the app everyone has to use and everyone hates now that a real internet model has come to fruition). Apple needs to decouple and build an 'app family' Books Movies Music stuff I've bought/uploaded/downloaded... stuff I desire/could-desire to listen to... curated/genned streams of music [pseudo radio] Real Radio (streams of OTA/Satellite radio) TV Shows Pod casts   audio  ...