or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

I used to (back in the day)... MTV was on the first tier above basic cable.   But in the day of YouTube in particular, and the social media 'maze' (or craze), where outlets are either free for pushing videos out and/or the 'artists' are paid by the facespace, iTunes, Googleplexs of the world to drive eyeballs to their channel on the internet..   It will be the distributors that pay... and then our eyeballs (and those of our children and grandchildren) are purchased in...
This...   The rest of the world's gov'ts, media rights owners hate 'the Internet'  (as opposed to 'THEIR internet').   Apple's method of 'taking 30%' off the top means that that's 30% less to the plutocracy, in markets that are much less lucrative.   Who knows how apple monetizes these channels (obviously less than 30%), but it's not free, and like Google, it gives apple distinct analytics on their customers content consumption, which in the end, gives Apple strategic...
One step at a time.      Me... I live with AppleTV radio;-)   I flip between Classical during work hours, news during dinner, and Reggae/Ska most of the rest of the time.  If I'm staring at the screen, I'd prefer a plot;-)
there is no such thing as 'non-standard' in apple parlance   Apple 'makes' the standard;-)     I never heard of 'Bondi' before I chose my  Lime iMac in '99.   And note... looking back, you can see that Apple seriously... SERIOUSLY catered to consumer marketing on that release. (and look at any commercial with a laptop displayed... do you see anything other than white or silver/aluminum in  those ads)   And for me... my Black NeXTstation was the envy of all who entered my...
key point...    SKU (more configuration) compressing is always something to consider in Apple's world.  Every language and memory config drives a SKU, but if there are only 3 colors wrapping around 2 phones (x 3 mem configs)[18], that's better than 2 colors wrapping 4(x 3mem configs) phones[24].  Less testing variance, less government/carrier certification, smaller supply chain, bigger volume discounts.    also a reason for them to consider retiring the 5 for the 5c...
Honda's 'gold' was called 'Champagne Metallic' in the 90's.   I had a 94 Accord wagon, and loved the color.  Subtle, yet a beautiful hue.    That said, I'm not fond of Apple selling anything other than 'white/silver' or black/slate, especially on a their flagship device (too many choices).   I'm hoping this shade is just one of the 5c colors.  But the '(Red)' brand served them well, with the underlying message, so I'll defer to their marketing mavens.   Just make...
are you speaking of an increase in masturbation while high on weed?   Cannabalizaton... The obvious response here is that a) the lower price will drive into previously uncompetitive markets        better to sell 3 million more units at $400/25% margin in china/india and other prepaid markets, than none. b) better to make 25% of $400 than 0% of $625 (Apple would prefer to self cannabalize, than be eaten from the outside).
ascii: I concur. Unless they keep the iPad 2, it makes no sense to have a 4s in the lineup. My thought is that they drop both the 5 and the 4s, and they move to a extended 2 tier lineup, or a 2.5 tier lineup, where the 'top device' has a now lower entry in price by $100 for lower storage (8gb?), as iCloud becomes more of a staging space for music through Match (dynamic cloud storage), and is extended to books, video and even apps. That way Apple makes up the lower...
Again, I posit that it won't sell enough to justify the a HW product management team... therefore it's a non-starter.     Also, you're not thinking power supply.  Makes no sense to make a 'stick' where the wall wart is bigger than the device. 
  a $99 box makes for a tighter upgrade cycle than a $900 TV...  people will spend $99 every couple years to get new 'STB' and pair with my 5 year old $900 TV, than spend $900 every 2 years to get a compliant system.   With Optical and HDMI 1.4, you're able to drive speakers in multiple modalities.   HDMI1.4a can run upstream signaling, and should allow poweron and controls.   Again, 'iOS on the TV(Receiver') logic is probably the best solution, where you control the...