or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

I think if you're driving 4K  high quality video, the TB ports become a premium real quick (1 per display).  3 is the working minimum.  Yes you can put your data on the same wire... but... I'll bet you dollars to donuts that there will be a lot of high end drive enclosures out there that don't 'share well'.  And if you are data intense, building out a TB SSD farm is a good way to go (I can see people building multi TB SSD farms to get the random access throughput). The 2nd...
in the end…  a low end Amazon offering is what Apple wants IT's a long game play. Apple is staking a high function portable tablet computer… that can do everything 'okay' and most things 'well' and some things 'best in class' The key is Apple is selling 'the one' tablet. Amazon is selling 'a single function tablet'   You read a book, you get some amazon music… you're a Amazon prime addict.   You pop down $150… get it in a couple days… and you do your thing…. and then you...
no Touch ID on any iPad... that was my original 'latter' point.
The original iProduct:   Apple raised the price of the iMac G4  over the original iMac.
http://store.apple.com/us/ipad/compare
my guess is that the .99 4s99 5c 199 5c /5s299 Mini /5s 32Gb399 iPad 2/Mini Retina499 16gb iPadAir599 32gb iPadAir 699  64gb iPadAir hit's all the price points apple sees as 'attractive' (in their multi-equation problem... maximize profit, minimize product defects, maximize sales, customer satisfaction, and potential customer desire [It's worth it, I just can't afford it yet ]) I am surprise they haven't compressed a bit at the low end.   Me thinks that the next tick of...
as noted, the latter is not true and the former is a different beast altogether from a power consumption perspective.  I'm talking about cubic millimeters of battery space, and assuming that it doesn't take too many of those to be noticed missing.... with  that, and if the corresponding use of the touchID interface pushed the battery life negative (it's gotta be more than just a home button press... lots of power to scan the finger) to the current ipad, it was likely a...
 The only reason I can think of is:   A major corp(carrier?)/gov't procurement contract requiring the exact same device dimensions and connections (30-pin) be available for retail for 3-4 years and supported by the OS/security upgrades and  parts for 5-7 years. It's why I think the 3GS and 4S have survived as long as they have.    the 3 is dead.  it would only be the 4, with the new lightning   If it's 3 years.. my guess there will be a iPad Air 'C' release next spring...
I'm also assuming that the button geometry will change (thinner)... and that will make a difference in a device that is way too thin as it is for the battery life it needs to drive
this. but my guess is they aren't committed to this button form factor yet.  especially if you're now down to micrometers of space tolerance in the chassis.   But it pushes back the 'iPad is for business'  marketing... any serious about privacy/security Business requires all mobile devices to authenticate every 15 (or less) minutes with 'strong passwords' (8+ chars).   TouchID would make that painless.