or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

There is the card issuer, the underlying bank account, and the payment card processor (retailer->PCP -> Card Issuer -> Holders bank account)Apple can be all 4 of those... and my reckoning is aiming for at least 3. $153Billion can spin up a few nice banks someplace where banking laws align well to Apple's clientele. Or they could buy a couple banks (US, China) and get past the regulatory hurdles of creating one and then become a card issuer.   The next thing then is just...
That and $2.95 will buy you a medium coffee at starbucks. Market Cap means very little...  I think if Paypal were to partner... Apple's reach out is that the paypal account becomes a card in the wallet.But I strongly believe Apple would rather partner directly with big banks and EMVCO and become a card payment processor directly.Reason:  Apple already has 1/2Billion CCs in their ITMS store...  driving that to a Billion or more by partnerships, and then providing a...
is that the products fault?  or the analysts. When apple had multiple product streams... truly multiple... in the 90's... they lost focus. They need to be innovative in the consumer space.   smart phones and portable computing (always on) is the future now.  the iPod was that first inkling of it from apple... the iPhone is a pocket  computer that makes calls.  The iPad will effectively lead to the elimination of the desktop computer.   My guess is Apple is working to...
the 150K a year household income consumer and the -20K a year consumer (college student) is a different market and you know it. The enterprise server market is Premier league Football... Totally different game;-)  And the Bronco's didn't try to win that league either. I understand your passion, and I do understand your  underlying logic.   I just feel it's flawed.   I spent dinner with a person who told me I was arrogant in saying Apple  didn't need to do NFC (after he...
 Or, you target the 10% of the world population that control 70% of the gross domestic product.    Tim Cook needs to ask himself if he wants _Apple_ to be like Sotheby's.. a 270 year old company.  Sotheby's does quite well NOT trying to be everyone's auctioneer.
 you equate market share with winning.   in a capital market, profit share is winning. To your take weak sauce analogy and twist it correctly and prove your logic wrong..... Why didn't the broncos play in the RoseBowl, the cotton bowl, the pro bowl, the iron bowl, the toilet bowl... because they didn't have to win _EVERY_ game, and in fact, in playing every game you weaken your self for the the important game.    The broncos don't have a minor league team, a junior high...
3% with a minimum $.30 charge makes sense;-).   To me the marketing is if Apple can significantly lower fraud.  If your loss rate for CC fraud is 5% and Apple drives it under 1% (80% reduction), the on a million dollar business thats 40K a year.  If retail is a $200 Billion a year in the US (Comscore has 2012 at 186B), and the G10 effectively add 3X that.   800B, Apple aims for 10%... 3.5% of that... 2.8B in revenues.  50% margins.   1.4B in profits.  Nice little side...
iPhones have a 2 year half life in the G20 world, and the tech-engaged buy top of the line.  by 2017, 75% of the iphones will have TouchID, 50% could have NFC.   I'm not advocating for NFC nor think it's a winner, but iPhones are not G5 iMacs....  The turn over, especially in the 'spenders' space' [those that would most use a phone based mobile payment system a lot], will drive adoption quickly. For me, the key is that first step... TouchID enablement.  Once that is done,...
  I've been saying once TouchID is enabled on all iPad Minis, iPad Airs, and top of the line iPhones...  you've just 1) created a smart credit card that never actually uses CC info on the wire [just encrypted tokens], that2) identifies the 'card device' and the 'device holder' as well as the 'vendor' establishing bidirectional, one time trust, and3) with simple timestamps, eliminated replay events... thus 4) if you trust 'iOS' and 'Apple' for encryptions and PKI, there  is...
It's not in its infancy... more like it hasn't had it's great convergence yet.   And Nest while a compelling simple interface, doesn't scale well to 'real' automation problems, which unlike heating and cooling, are less about 'learning' and more about integrating several systems and their rules into a cohesive set of expected outcomes, and also a whole much of real mechanical issues (integrating with blinds, windows, pumps, etc)  My guess is that Apple doesn't want to be a...