or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

We'll find out in 17 days how Apple feels. But realize, people waiting to buy a new iPhone weren't waiting for a iPhone 5 'repackage' they were waiting for the 5s. Now... the 5c is less expensive to make, and has slightly higher (we think) margins than the 5s (and 4s, again, speculation). The more and more I think about it, the 'c' stands for 'Carrier' or 'Commercial'  as it's the one that Carriers want to sell. I think you'll see the 'c' prominently displayed with...
and almost all of my iOS7 on my 4s crashes are in Safari as well... 
Vitals are critical path for a $100+ device.   And getting it FDA approved for stuff like heart rate, BP, and ideally, Blood Sugar. The really cool thing would be thermic and/or motion charging.   I know that the latter is a thing that breaks… but a little flywheel that has generates mW of power would be doable.  Exothermic would be nice too…. If the Swedish Army has developed this... I'm sure someone at Apple can do better!!!!!
 err.  define competitive?  Apple's price point has always been along the lines of... you get a great computer for the price, and a great user experience with the OS and apps.   But... if all you're looking at is pure price or price/performance, and the OS is a slight negative (for most PC users... it is... purely from 'better the devil you know' aspect), Apple will lose every time. Apple's plan, and their sticking to it, is annual major updates, and maybe a market tweak...
There are a couple other reasons why Apple's Share is shrinking   1) Win8... to run win8 most people buy new PCs... it's usually the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade. 2) OSX Lion/Mavericks.... to run the latest version of Mac's OS most people... upgrade their current device to the current OS on their current machine.   3) Average useful lifespan of an Mac product is arguably 1.5-2X the length of a PC product (ARGUABLY - Mac laptops are typically more sturdy, and...
 worse… announcing your launch day 6 weeks in advance is history repeating itself.   2009 5 weeks prior to release microsoft leaks prices of new zune HD (http://gizmodo.com/5334331/zune-hd-prices-leaked-16gb-for-220-32gb-for-290) 2009 Week before Zune HD release… Apple iPod Touch undercuts all Zune HD prices… http://techcrunch.com/2009/09/09/the-incredible-shrinking-ipod-prices-undercut-the-zune-hd/)- Jobs returns from sabbatical to deliver keynote- Major Nano upgrade-...
No, it's not a tease... it's an over the bow shot at Intel. Intel is driving power demands down as quickly as Apple is driving AxX speeds up.  my guess is that Intel will maintain a slight lead with the x86 line for a while.   Any posturing will only be for price and functionality concessions (ie, optimizing parts of the chip to better handle OSX unique and high use instruction pipelining). It will be 4-5 years before Apple can evolve the A series into a significant...
Easier... nope.    In fact, the 64bit solution is amazingly elegant from a hardware and compiler level. and the dual 32/64 bit SoC made the upgrade 'less major.'  The major issue is purely in the OS, and apple has solved that a few times already...  In short, this solved a problem now.  I don't see this chip or the next turn of it being 'workstation worthy.'  But a MacBook Air is probably sporting an A7 as we speak, and being shown to Intel as a 'We expect you to keep your...
the iPad 4 announcement last year didn't count as a surprise? and name me one 'one more thing' that was not incremental?   A cpu upgrade, a new shape for a same function, etc.   Nothing ground breaking, just unexpected amazing value. If anything, a 'one more thing' is where something like a 'mac Pro' is announced, and then they say… 'we could have stopped there… but we had some free cycles, so we came up with this… (and they role out a Mini Mac Pro (haswell based mini but...
You're reading way too much into this date.     In fact, I would argue the opposite.  This event is more important (to Apple) than reporting earnings, they pushed earnings back to make sure they focused on this event.     And if the customer sales date is before the 28th, then that makes for a nice store ['X00,000 iPads sold over the weekend in XX countries!] in addition to the numbers (which are supposed to be great).  Doing a 'one more thing' that impact analysts (in the...