or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

Or it was their greatest accomplishment.   They basically broke the mold  of carrier-handset support Today... - you get your updates directly from Apple...  my iPhone 4s got iOS7.1... how many carrier managed 2.5 year old android phones got 4.4 delivered to them? - The carrier does not control the content or function of the phone at anypoint.      - VM, Email, Text were Apple apps- Apple sets the price across all carriers. These were nonexistent in 2006 for carriers AND...
Simple math assuming the average 100GB purchaser _uses_ 10GB (and median user is 2GB...pretty much what I see in my disk management Life). And retail for 4TB internal drives is ~$150. Google's price is wholesale.... your price is off by a factor of 3+. Figuring in 4TB RAID 5 and a Mirror... and likely a decent amount of compression to balance any anomalous usage spikes Let's say you want to service a BILLION users.That's 10GB per user  RAIDED/Mirrored out at 24GB.24GB*1B...
"keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" Contrary to many, Amazon is Apple's real competitor.    Many people may hate Samsung, but they are a distant 4th place.  It's all down to 'owning' the sales channel to the consumer.   Amazon Prime vs AppleID.  Kindle vs iOS. Amazon is taking the low [no] margin big box warehouse store route... Apple is taking the curated Nieman Marcus catalog approach...  Both working towards frictionless purchacing.  And they are working...
I really do think they loss led this for a while.  Looking at online pricing, it was hard to beat their pricing and shipping if you factored in the convenience of getting it in 2 days.  I figured that almost every shipment (i have 3 subscriptions a month, and spot buy a lot of things), is worth the $11 a month in convenience fees.   I often won't go to Target, Home Depot, or even Albertsons and instead just have amazon ship it to me.   But now at an extra $3 a month...
I don't.   my mac and its time capsule are fine... thank you.     My wife however... she's on icloud.   just because she has no itunes discipline.
The difference between and Ecosystem and a hardware vendor.
you agree with my second point.   The Software world is leaving charging for OSes, and moving to selling compelling solutions to people's problems. until those people die.   What does free Windows do?  Sell other people's hardware?   Keep people updating their windows versions of Office?  Again, not a growth market,  especially if their children, who haven't developed a requirement for VBA macros embedded in their recipe card word documents to generate grocery lists, go...
Curious as to the timing. It really does appear that MS is targetting to 'Get back the Mac' for one reason or another: One Reason:to try to get people to move back to Windows by making all their software 'pretty good' on non MS OS systems, and GREAT on MS OSes and HW (the WinPhone/Surface/Windows triad... vs the iPhone/iPad/Mac)... hook them on the function... reel them back in with advanced capabilities only available on the whole MS stack (Azure, Office365, Windows,...
brand new may be a bit hyperbole, but my 4s is snappier.  Haven't put it through it's paces. I have noted that google mail downloads are slow today... however, I think that's on google's (or some MiTM) side.