or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

Extending this out to the full personal device landscape...   Apple  - Sell great hardware for $$ with nearly free great software, as a platform for an immersive ecosystem... eventually invert the model and make the ecosystem the primary profit source.   Samsung - Sell Hardware for $$, with whatever SW seems to sell it best, add ecosystem(s) because people want it, but focus on building HW and selling it at maximum margin   Amazon - Sell hardware/SW at a loss, but make...
typically (first 3 years), yes, by several  months. Last year... by about 30 minutes.   we can assume that Apple is now strictly on a consumer (sept/oct),  professional(May/June... to align with what appears to be a Aug/Sept OS release) calendar schedule, with  no corporate  (spring) release anymore.  Make sense.  Most corps want a to 'try' before they buy... so trying to align with spring budget releases is fruitless... as it would take 6 months to vet a new piece of...
Just another argument for 1) turning cable into a big dumb pipe 2) bypassing both cable and network companies and go straight to the content producers on a per show basis   Netflix, iTunes, Amazon seem to be the likely players here, with Netflix being the rogue outsider.   I'm moving up to F.O. 25mbps next month (and 25mpbs upstream... may have to move to network backups;-) ),   at 20mbps, other than some skitchy sites, NetFlix, AppleTV and OTA... I'm doing...
I'm in that need all three: a laptop;  iPad;  and an iPhone by October...  decisions, decisions.
yes, but that doesn't mean everything apple is doing in the industry is about making said watch.   Charlituna hits it on the head... it's performance X powerthriftiness X size, for just about EVERYTHING Apple makes, from the MBA, iPad, iPod, iPhone, and arguably, Apple TV, Mac Mini, and even the iMac.   this acquisition can support all of them.   Apple has made particularly interesting acquisitions along those lines.  Apple is playing a long game. They don't buy a company...
my guess is this will evolve to a cap of devices (the rough estimate would be  3 (phone/pad, PC, TV/STB)  per profile entry, or 15 per account).     The best way to do that is have the base fee (single person, single profile, 5 devices), family (5 profiles, 15), and PLAN plus X (2.99 per month for above add'l profiles and 3 more devices for that profile, or $1.99 for more devices  for a single or family plan).    Netflix will need to  show more profits eventually.   To...
which is to say they have a large inventory and they want to drop them all   why...   They have enough for repair/replace any that come in before they come out with a new model in 2 months.   whats in a new version?... I can assume an 'ac' version of the device, beyond that, anybody's guess.  4K?  maybe.  don't care, really.   I've got 2 current version ones... I'm holding out for a couple months...  I have a feeling that the 3 new ones I need will be better with 'ac'...
Microsoft has developed one good 1.0 product. One. In 1985. And it didn't run on a PC. Everything else they bought or stole or it took them 3 tries to get right. There is no internal creativity within Microsoft, and definitely no ability to develop a consumer desired device.
This.   Apple wants the iPhone to be the best camera phone in the world.  Theirs is  a world of full range dSLRs for professionals, 4/3rds dSLRs for prosumers, iPhones, and crap cameras.   As phone components become less expensive and ARM chips more computationally powerful, camera technology will be critical for 3 reasons. 1) replace HDR with instant technology 2) improve low light pictures 3) better recognition of objects, places and faces  (visual Siri... "That picture...
  This.   The AppleTV app store will be a 'channel' purchaser.  you go to the store, select your 'channels', and put them up on your screen.   The app store, curated by Apple will effectively be the imprimatur that it's content that Apple wants you to see on your Apple TV.   HOWEVER. the 'iTV'  secret sauce  will be the ability for Apple to search for content within these channels.      I want a search  button on the Apple TV that allows me the following intelligence    ...