or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

comparing sales (US) to usage (china).   The data, while interesting, doesn't support the premise that that 5s/5c launch 'drove' iPhone 5 sales.   If they simply showed the delta in usage patterns pre 5s to post 5s release in January, the data would have been much more compelling, as it is, there may be several reasons why the 5s is lagging in usage (like, people who bought it for bling, and not to really do anything with it).   also the first mixpanel piechart is...
Sorry it's more like you own two houses and you want to avoid the minimum meter charge on the 2nd house, so you connect the water and sewer lines between the two.And if the company wrote their financial model to include selling as many direct connects,mifi devices and USB wireless dongles, why shouldn't they seek contractual protection of that revenue stream.And should Apple risk the deep pocket penalty for not doing right by the contracts they sign with carrier? ...
As soon as you say 'blacks in general', you are stereotyping.   stereotyping is the basis of racist arguments. Your number start to fail when you stop grouping by skin color, and start grouping by family unit net assets.  When those are equal, then black families perform as well (or white family's as poorly) as their counterpart.  Whites in America... got free land and free labor for over 400 years, and then spent another 100 years legislating Jim Crowe laws pay off the...
people have to worry less about equality or fairness (everyone's a winner), and opt to fighting for justice. as i pointed out bvgk's comment is stupid in that shows that people of color can perform at a level of excellence sought by the sporting public, if given a fair shake. Jesse isn't arguing for a headcount, Jesse is arguing that it's a biased selection process, and a biased development process.  and Bias based purely (or indirectly inferring racial differences) on the...
actually problem decomposition and rote tool understanding  is 'programming' Knowing  how to 'use' the tools of algebra to solve problems is programming.Knowing how music works (what is harmonic, discordant, rhythmic ,etc) and 'making music 's programming. The key is getting from 'knowing the tool'  to 'knowing how to use the tools to solve problems' (algorithms) and getting them excited that they can 'model' solutions based on their knowledge... and the more they know......
bias takes many forms... and American Racism at the elite level is highly refined, because, it's the root of it [racism is a variation on 'devine right'... the powers of the universe ordain me and 'people like me' to control everything I want to control.   The trick is, to convince others they have a chance to 'be like me' and use whatever form of bigotry that works for them to align with my goals.  Again, the key item is discrimination.   A lot of white guys are...
sigh. what he's saying is people of color are people, and given the same education, experience, and opportunities, succeed at the same rate Western European people do.  But they are not given the same education, experience, or opportunities. India is one of the most racist/discriminatory/misogynist cultures in the world.   Should I infer the head of Microsoft is Racist.  No.  My point being, you didn't make a point... you provided data.  It's like saying we're post-racial...
not to his stats, and out of work means still means in the workforce pool.... just drowning.
Racism is more refined that that.    "He didn't go to Harvard.... like this guy""His net worth makes us queasy he can't dedicate the time to the position""She has a 14 yo child" You don't have to say it... you just have to have enough people to 'think it'.
Racism/discrimination is a cumulative effect.  What happened to people of color 20-40 years ago (and their parents and grandparents before them) basically eliminated them as potential candidates [didn't go to the right school, haven't worked up the corporate ladder, not economically self sufficient because no generational wealth accumulation].  Jesse is saying effectively that the bastion of white maledom needs affirmative action. And... check your stats.  US Bureau of...