or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

Alas,the product wasn't named for you... not for Americans, It's named for the Apple employees.   This is about them making stuff _THEY_ like and THEY want to make for us. (If I remember the keynote right, it won't be 'USA' places... it will be CALIFORNIA places) Hence the "Designed by Apple in California' Ad.   (one could argue that Apple is trying to avoid the USA relationship, because everyone loves California;-)   Yes, it may be conceitful to consider the chosen few...
me thinks too much overlapp with the next iMac.   skating to where the puck will be, I do think your 'good' mac won't exist, or if it does, it will be at $2299 (and the current TOL iMac will drop to $1799).   They have to maintain that $500 differential.   One can only assume that PCIe SSDs will be across all mac products by fall,  with a PCIe Fusion drive as well (save for the Mac Pro).     The xMac concept is really counter to the direction Apple has gone the last 4...
all of you... There could be 8 or 9 configurations in the Apple HW shop at this point...  A bootleg benchmark of a non-verified SKU ready machine  running a just past alpha version of OS is not proof of market reality.
Except that this rumor has been weakened by the retraction of retina displays on the iPad Mini...   http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/19/analyst-recants-claim-that-apple-will-add-retina-display-to-ipad-mini-before-2014   all in all, this is just the rumor mill working on half baked claims and needing to churn the muck to get attention to particular equity positions.
  If the CTO/CIO of LAPS didn't demand a NDA covered discussion of iOS7 in the last week prior to greenlighting the decision, then it's their fault.  Apple would have been happy to discuss that  AFTER the keynote to a potential customer of this size.   And iOS6 will be supported for a year or 2, and the transition will be faster for the kids than the teachers. time marches on... most kids are able to teach their parents the iPad, because there is no prior knowledge to...
pretty much all the complaints here can be put under "don't kill the messenger."   Apple TV et al is the delivery medium.  A franchise for these content _OWNERS_.  The owners say where and when and how much things are gonna cost, and what hoops you must jump through to get them.   The fact that HBO cannot separate it's licensing from cable providers (because if they did, then all heck would break loose...  much like Microsoft building and selling Surface directly),...
Why?   does "Skate to where the puck will be...." mean anything to you...   if the 'real world' is moving away from file systems and legacy windows...  why should a 4th grader or a English major even care?  By the time they 'buy' their device, they'll be thrust into a world of 'app based storage' and cloud computing, and they'll have no skills to operate in the real world.   File systems are out the door.  As are Floppy disks, and PS/2 keyboards (or do you still have...
for me... it's the memory issue.  I typically have 20+ tabs and 4+ windows running on my 8GB 2008MBP (yeah yeah, it's sometimes a curse to buy such damn fine hardware;-)).   Safari and it's helper apps will eat up a whole bunch of memory (especially if you have some privacy extensions added... e.g. adBlock, CookieStumbler, DisConnect), and you have some auto-updating webpages (I'm looking at you google News!), it's not unusual for the safari suite to take up 2+GB of...
It's just business.  Few companies can deliver the volume Apple needs, and fewer still have the quality and the specs Apple needs to build it's iPads.      Apple isn't asking Samsung to build chips Apple has designed... or custom ASICs... this (if true) would be stock glass.   The big issue in the past was Samsung effectively 'learning' how Apple was optimizing ARM for iOS/touch devices for it's mobile product line, and the chinese wall (pardon the pun) between the chip...