or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

Apple's usually pretty good on their battery life predictions...     9 hours for me is good enough.  I need to get up and do other stuff a couple hours a day...
effectively this.   There is no more macbook.  the MacBook Air is the center of the Mac Portable line now.   It's the all day everyday computer. The iPads are below it, the Pros are above it.      The thing about portability is not how much you can put into it, but how much you can leave out.  the MBA is minimalist, yet, faster, more storage, and assuming the same weight, almost a full day battery life.   Retina is a great option, but it cause too much compromise. a 15"...
I really do think  that 256GB is overkill in the new cloud data model... If for nothing else... put your old laptop over in a corner, and build a VPN so you can tunnel in and mount the drive as your 'offline' data.  Otherwise, most of your 'nearline' working set can live in dropbox/icloud.     Again, for most non-power users, 128 should be plenty.   That said, I can't see anyone buying a 4gb model;-) All the OS improvements in the world can't replace the need for the...
my guess is will be the density of Video Airplay going on in your home, coupled with end device antennas.  If you got only one antenna, and you're blasting out 60fps of 1080p from a internet source, you're probably taxing an 'n' network.  Now add 2 more active devices, (like that new MBA Airplaying to an AppleTV connected monitor), Time Machine backups, etc., more antennas would be a very good thing, if for nothing else to split the bandwidth across multiple spectra.
I think for the vast majority, if you a recent AirportExtreme/TimeCapsule, most won't need to upgrade given the current functions of the box or of the other participants.   My guess is that I'll upgrade next year (I just got a new TC last year... it fixed all my coverage problems in the house)... by that time, i'll probably have at least 3 AC devices in the house, and a 40Mbps link to the house.  if all 6 antenna are 'ac' in the new AE/TC, that's a 2-4Gbps of...
  iCloud smart Caching I think is key...  Google Fiber is getting onpremise equipment, Cable does...  Samsung isn't positioned for it.  Apple is ideally positioned to 'smarten' it's Airport Extremes and Time capsules to cache purchased and rented content.   Then you can start caching downstream... and upstream ('local icloud'). Make Time Machine available via the iCloud.   I bet it would even be NSA approved;-)
The other retailers may buy you out.  See Apple and BestBuy decide to offer upgrades for this...    I note this as Apple was really pushing me hard to upgrade my 4s 2 weeks ago when I was in store just for the conversion fee.   I'm at 15 months.   at the time I was thinking it was about driving people to the 5 format (I'm of the theory that the 3.5" form factor will be unsupported early, at the end of 2014 (iOS 7 or 8  will be the last supporting that real estate,...
  When you're competing with Verizon, you have to wait until your competition sets the terms and then you decide if you want to advertise against it, or meet their level.  Given that the 'trade-up' date is a silent date (the 2 year agreement is the same), it makes zero sense to advertise against it, because you actually 'lose' money, as most people don't even know the trade-up date exists.     20 months 625-200=425/20 = 21/month more like billions  (4x20 = 80*80M [80% of...
Apple is up on the rumors 20 minutes into the trading day... my guess it will dive this afternoon....   and then... trickle up the rest of the month.   last year it dropped 1% WWDC week, then went up 5% the next month.   Same for the 2011.   Same for 2010   Same for 2009.  For those whose long term memory is faltering Apple was at 144 June 5, 136 June 12 (WWDC keynote June 7), By the end of July it was 163 (+20% in 6 weeks).
buy 2... you'll need them.   luckily I got 2 (guest room and main theater).  My wife can still watch her stuff (I won't say the source, but let's just say Transmission is my friend) Airplaying from her iPad into the the 5.1... I guess I'm off to the guest room for lunch today;-)