or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

because Apple is caught be tween a old school manufacturer, and a new school 'e-commerce'  potential, and is being seen as the worst of the former (expensive in eventual commodity markets (PCs, Phones, Tablets), thus a governor on long term profits) , and none of the latter (ITMS, App Store, iBooks, in App purchases, iAds, iCloud).  Why, because no business has spanned that before, and the law of large numbers block analysts from seeing past the leverage this technology...
 figure 2 copies per plane. you're correct… the trees airlines kill is rainforest shrinking.    Airlines know that every pound is worth so many gallons per mile.  pound.   while I can't help when 340lb Uncle Louie flies to Amsterdam, I can control the number of pillows, blankets, types of pop, and yes, maps, nav charts, airport layouts, and weather updates.   50 lbs is a lot, and can be replaced with revenue generating cargo (mail, lobster, whatever… now that planes are...
 If it's Delta's inventory, it will be Surface2 for the entire duration, unless there is an 'incident' that the FAA/NTSB called out the tablet as a contributing factor.    SOPs require Standard Operating Parts.
Ignorance is borne of considering yourself and/or immediate cohort as defining the facts of the matter, and ignoring the rest.    The argument is not the app devs (and most of them don't use styluses… so you just call all those developers ignorant?), but apple must support Stylus as part of the UI  experience, and build it into OS.   There is a huge set of reasons not to, but suffice it to say, your financial situation allows you to ignore those reasons.    Carry on. btw,...
   I would argue that for most people, 'learning to write' on an iPad is a massive luxury.  a 10 cent pencil or crayon and a 2 cent piece of recyclable paper is the right tool for that 5-10%.   If you can buy the app, great, but from apple's perspective, adding stylus into the OS doesn't solve this problem better, and will raise the cost of entry to exclude people from using it. Really,  A stylus inserts a machine between you and the computer.  And as alluded, 'which...
 you've identified 0.1% of the iPad target market.  the other 99.9% don't want it or don't know what it would do for them.  Building into the OS  tablet/stylus support is a waste of time for the great majority and counter to primary iPad design goals ('all you need is a finger or a voice') Niche to Apple is irrelevant from a retail/wholesale perspective.  It's not like Apple is Anti Stylus, just not wasting time building it into every nook and cranny of the UI. Your...
The better analogy is Ctrl-Alt-Del.  Why after 30 years is that the standard secret handshake with a tool?    We got rid of chokes on cars (on some we got rid of keys), eliminated operators for dialing phone calls, but in 'rapidly advancing technology'  we still require the most non-intutive clumsy way of literally acknowledging we need to start using this semi-prescient device? Yet, you're going to tell me it's essential to the job of computing… almost EVERY job?  it's...
 The right tool for the right job.     I don't want a phillips head on my hammer, just because other people fasten with screws.   But I have no problem with buying an electric driver when the job calls for it. And it may require Torx bits, or a #3 driver.   And I certainly don't want to go to the store only to find that to get a replacement hammer, I have to spend $20 more for a electric driver bundled in, and it isn't better than what's on the open market, and doesn't...
 and looking at the 5c announcement… I think the security around that release was very good.  Yes, colors and dimensions came out… but parts, capabilities, product placement in the line… were all pretty much kept quiet until the 11:50 time check.   This for a product that was going to ship in the 10's of millions just 2 weeks later. Remember, Every Carrier, Every retailer, Every supplier, Every regulatory agency had to be told 'something' prior to release.  10s of...
 Especially dimensions… too many 3rd parties need to get these, especially within (purportedly) a month of product release. All that said, It's not beyond apple to 'distribute' 2 or 3 different dimensions to see where the leaks are...Or have a separate document that says 'multiply all X dimensions by X.XX, Y, by Y.YY, and Z by Z.ZZ.'