or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

err, Mac OS was never renamed Mac OSX. Mac OS was retired, and replaced with NeXTSTEP which was renamed Mac OSX.
"Keep your friends close, and keep your enemies closer." Samsung seeing that less and less of a cash cow is theirs... yet keeping them in the loop for a taste of what they could have if they played well with others.... I'm still amazed that it's the A7/M7 that they allow Samsung to make... although it's the critical component and therefore Apple is pretty much tied to someone who can deliver strategic components on time, in quantity, and with quality.   That said, it could...
I see laptops as potentially causing a lot of ruckus, especially netbooks and macbook airs.What's the difference between an iPad and wireless keyboard and a macbook Pro Rd with SSD? Number 10 will the cause of many of inflight outbursts by passengers.   WHY ME?  WHY NOT HER?  WHY THIS FLIGHT?  I WAS ALLOWED THE LAST FLIGHT?    Oh, and what is FaceTime over WiFi (I did that on Delta last spring)... is that "voice communications" and therefore banned on iPhones, but allowed...
exactly... however, Apple still has to see Intel prove that they aren't gonna steal IP that gives MS a catch-up capability.
I think your use of the term 'production of' should be replaced with 'designed'   Apple hasn't produced a single chip. And Intel isn't hedging ARM vs x86... their manufacturing fab division is hedging that Intel chip production can't drive 100% capacity. And Microsoft's schizo aspect isn't the fact that Win8 is running on multiple architectures (isn't the first... NT was developed on 3 distinct archs, and was released on Alpha as well as X86)... it's the fact they are a...
The IoT world (Internet of Things) is moving towards making 'smart home' an 'TCP/IP' problem, which will drive the costs (most of the cost is the installer and the proprietary nature of signalling stds) way down. Locks are high on my list... not so much the locking and unlocking, but for making sure they are locked (and doors closed).  period.  I've got 6 doors that must be locked 99% of the time, but I want them open when I need them open.   (arms full, no need to fumble...
I'm using morning industries key fob locks that also support 3rd party signals... I'm using insteon  so I can unlock the lock from my back office when someone approaches my front door (motion detection Video on with an audio link).  Also allows me to global lock my 3 doors.  And unlock them with my iPhone (I'd rather have people call me than hand out digital keys... I like the idea, just not th e Fobs are on the same keychain as the key... so the fishing for the key is...
the doors aren't glued shut... however, you'll need an AppleID and a fingerprint to drive the thing.
this.   Note that traders have to be holding the stock at the close of markets to be of record  (lots of people trade AAPL stock, few people hold it long enough to matter to Apple).  And of those that do hold it, most hold it through their broker ("street name").  Unless you get a letter directly from Apple and not through your brokerage , your stock ownership is proxied.
'cutting corners'  is  a harsh term for 'making hard design decisions to stay inside the performance envelope'  And anything Apple makes with a battery is gonna always be short on raw performance to make sure it hits the battery life window, which is the primary dimension of the portable envelope (battery life x weight x performance).   I think you'll be underwhelmed by a 4K laptop no matter the rev, unless you strap it to a 4K 30+" monitor. I think Apple's 'half rev' of...