or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

And Apple always needs a 'We can always take our business to Intel...' plausible negotiation ploy.      As for Intel 'stealing' IP and putting into the x86 line... 1) most of the An series IP that is magical/secret sauce, is so optimally tied to iOS and/or the rest of the HW in an iPhad, it wouldn't assist Intel in any other ARM or x86 line specifically... HOWEVER, 2) if Apple could nudge the x86 line to be more power efficient, more GPU optimized for OSX, that would be a...
  so your refutation is 'you don't know' but people who also don't know have guessed in the past that apple currently doesn't use their own hw in their own brand new data centers to power their nacent iCloud offerings, therefore you argue it's not possible Apple is designing this sort of hardware for their own internal use for future products?   Were these the same people who felt that Apple would never use a custom developed ARM chip to power an iPhone or iPad?   If...
agreed.  I think if Apple ever makes a 'mass market' phone, it will be on the 4s frame...  In the 4 year obsolescence curve, the 4s will be 2 years old this summer, and will have 2 years left, and has working componentry that will drop in price.   The fact it has enough guts to operate Siri, makes it the base bottom for Apple in the long game (3-4 years from now).       Given that the 4s is slated to be the '.99cent' phone this coming fall for subscriptions, I'm curious...
  This aligns more with the classic 'Spring is for business, Fall is for consumers" tick tock.   The fact that the out of sequence iPad (the 's' model) came out last fall, was more the 'for those who want one adapter to rule them all (Lightning) which would be a consumer driven decision.      I wouldn't be surprised with a blow the doors off lineup of iPad, then Macbook(retina0) and Mac Pro this spring in a series of announcements.   And all the hardware lining up for...
I think you are assuming Apple is software biased when you say 'all.'   The beauty of a cloud environment and some truly massive data centers where you own(lease) the rackspace is that you can put your own hardware solutions into particular layers of your service offering (e.g. google).   Apple is not NetFlix (a software company, that sees computation bandwidth and content as 'commodity').       I see Apple building some 'secret sauce' components of their data centers,...
+1  figure a 2TB fusion drive for $900 or less (by release date).   Only the biggest of the big data pounders would want performance/price of a true SSD (100% random access across multi-Terabytes of data with ms access).   Now spinning the 1/2 grain of truth a slightly different direction.... .... Large SSDs can decouple highly volatile (many write many read) active cashes from RAMdisk and to the storage fabric for a less complex shared store. .... As you move in to...
two words: sun glasses   two more: lazy eye (scroll up, oops, scroll down... oops, leaning to the left... damnit FOCUS!)   And people thought Siri was a loopy interface.   Don't get me wrong...I think it will eventually happen... (I read Craig Thomas' "FireFox" and believed thought-controlled fighter jets (if you thought in Russian/Cyrillic) would be just around the corner), it's a little early to consider this a lock on an UI 'improvement'
  15% of worldwide smartphone sales.
only when there is one controller that can drive the TV, the Sound System, the cable, and the AppleTV, and integrate all that into one onscreen menu.      There is a middle ground.  An 'Apple TV Aware'  set of Home Theater Products using HDMI-CEC (or ethernet?) to drive controls to the devices.   Pair a device up with an Apple TV, enable the CEC, then your TV and AppleTV are 'one' through the Apple TV interface. Extend that for your sound system BlueRay and cable (the...
  we can sell for a loss and make it up in volume?     Meg.. this isn't an Ebay startup mode company... It's Hewlett Frickin Packard. (Compaq, DEC, Tandem, Palm etc.)  There won't be any valuation buzz on this.   $169?   Without an ecosystem,  this is just another step down the spiral 'race to the bottom' staircase.   Google owns the base ecosystem, HP needs to buy the parts from Samsung, and Amazon, B&N, Netflix will get the usage revenue.   Apple... will be nicked in...