or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

hah.  irrational exuberance. 10 Million seems like a legit number.  That's 5B in sales. note the numbers.  Fashion watch industry is a  62Billion dollar market with 1.2Billion Unit Sales.    Average selling price is $51.67. (in 2011, Rolex sold 750,000 'movements', and had 7Billion in revenues: Avg Selling price $9300: they had 11% of the revenues on .1% of the units) Apple is selling a watch that is 10X the average selling price, and requires people to commit to spending...
Any AG since Nixon's Mitchell would have voiced the same concern.   While holder's worth to you is debatable, this specific reason isn't a differentiator. I sat in an Interop presentation and watched Phil Zimmerman 'explain'  why DOJ/FBI/ATF were at all the exits (because 256 bit encryption was considered in the same export class as plutonium to the GHWBush Administration) as he explained his plans for PGP public key rings in 1992.The Gov't was concerned that non US...
  I figured a 20% YoY increase.  28% is huge Next quarter.  That's a run/sell/deliver rate of 700,000 a day.  The only way I see that happening is if they plan on cannabalizing  the iPad Mini line (and/or don't upgrade it next month). Obviously about 30% of that is 5s/5c  sales.  Stocking stuffers, and mom/dad switching from android to a 6P and dragging children along with a .99 iPhone 5c.  I'm confident the low end will move... I may get 5s for my wife when I get a 6 for...
two different problems. 1) we are a global economy with multiple taxing jurisdictions.  Local, State, Country, and in the EU's case, Extra-Sovreign. Taxes are an expense of doing business.  Just like salaries, health benefits, workman's comp, (those first 3, anyone complaining about the price of an iPhone because it's made in China?) sales and marketing, etc. When you're talking billions in revenue, the difference of 35% to 5% is serious enough to build an Double Dutch...
My guess it would cost less than if you tried to build a system on your own.   Given Apple's bump on memory on iPhones, my guess is that the Macs will also see a new top end memory option. But if you have to worry about the price, then it's not the system you want.
If it were just a chip in a unit, then yes, it's an upgrade.  But adding TouchID is a big deal, and the A8x may drive huger comparisons that Apple will like to control the message.  And there is a bunch of other stuff.  5 minutes:  Opening.   Apple is doing great... Oh, did we tell you we just released a phone? 10 minutes iOS 8 impacts on the iPad line a couple apps here, a couple testimonials there 10 Minutes on the new Mini and Air. ( doubt they split the...
your last points basically undermined any logic you had in the first part. Samsung is already rumored on a future chip... it was discussed as the A9, but the 8x could be it.  However, given the enormity of the iPhone 6 Every release is larger and larger, dual sources of the same/similar die is critical for risk reduction. This is a serious "hard to predict" release.  with the increased screen size, and getting back 'switchers' from Android who bought only due to screen...
you want to keep your suppliers hungry. Think of this benching your star, but lazy, player.   "you'll get minutes when TSMC is tired" If Samsung can cut another 1-5% off their unit price (or increase yield, or have better quality numbers), then they get 60% on the A9... Then TSMC decides if they can undercut that by 5-10% on the A10. You guys play this as a revenge play.  It's not.It's:"Business. Always Business."  (The Greek (who's not Greek): The Wire)
I'm not in the know... but some simple sleuthing points out that  3dMark V1.2 was last compiled for iOS 7.0, and the current version 1.3 was compiled for 7.1.    My guess is there is no 'metal/scene/sprite' optimizations in the executable (calling the old frameworks).  
err, when it comes to delivering chips... they can be trusted.  TSMC whiffed on building Aseries chips a couple of times now.Sometimes you have to take the losses with the wins.   the iPhone 5s couldn't have been made without Samsung. As for the USA... you're barking up the wrong tree.  Corporations feed lobbyists, lobbyists feed congress and the WH, Congress and the WH set the trade agreements to make sure our corporations make a sh*tload of money, by paying the absolute...