or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

calling a Mini a Tower is a bit of a stretch, figuratively and pun intended ;-).   Apple has always tried to make it's buyers 'feel the pain' of buying up.   And, why not buy an iMac and replace your mini?a 21" 1080p display is sort of weak sauce comparatively.
Real CPU performance improvements is likely a delay until Broadwell.  Like stated in other threads, 10% CPU performance improvements isn't a reason for an upgrade (you could get more, but you'd lose the heat/power envelope that the Mini is exploiting now with the lower end chips). Unless it's a 'everything else' upgrade (Graphics, MB, Memory, TB, Networking), I doubt Apple would spend the engineering bandwidth for just a CPU perf upgrade. I'm holding out for a totally new...
SSD made all the difference.  for $200 getting a 500GB SSD is a no brainer (although I torqued my DVD drive installing the drive... @#$#). yes.   I've got an 'old farmstead' inside a small city.  4 outbuildings, and lots of 'shadows'.   My new camera setup will 'come alive' on my mac if detecting motion on any camera... I get a notification now for any of the 4 current cams (4 more on the way with 150' IR range for my perimeter, now I'm just watching the buildings).  I get...
Since the chipsets used by the MBP and the MM are different, I think this rumor bears no bearing on the mini. And for memory use...  any memory use during an 'early' beta (e.g. anything less than RC2) is not an indicator of production release memory demand.  and using 5.5 of 8 is, by every respect is 'wasting' 2.5GB;-), especially with the current memory management (I've found that with an SSD, my 2010 Mini with 8GB performs well at 7-8GB in use (Safari is my most violent...
on the other front.   Use of an 'AC' friendly chip will be very nice. I'd love to move to 'n'/'ac' only in my house, and AC and a couple airport Extremes should get around all that plaster/lathe interference I have and still give 100+mbps speeds (now that I've got Cat 6 between my servers and my timeCapsule... I'm loving moving around 15-45MBytes/sec via 'n' and 'ac'... movies just play, and backups are done before I even notice them)   If 'ac' is in the '6', then one...
Di-Lithium-Licksoxide  the colloquial term for: 2(5)6 dilithium 2(:)l diallosilicate 1:9:1 heptoferranide The rare substance that powered Steve those last years (it wasn't a just liver transplant,  a small plasma engine was installed, generating the necessary energy to supplement his vegan diet with adding meat or dairy). Normally found in crystal form,  it's the basic catalyst of all trans warp space travel in the future.   The Apple Campus 2 is really an NCC starship.
no.my guess is that the initial manufacturing setup expense (CapEx) is higher due to either a more capacity needed (more SqFt + more production assembly tools) and/or more expensive tools (FoxBots).   Those are up front costs that amortize several quarters after purchase...   'development' is typically classified as going from prototype to product candidate, which is the cost of 'designing the manufacturing process'  Manufacturing Setup(CapEx) and Parts are not part of...
125% compound annually.  (this was the 90s through 2010).  Typically, "write your 1000 lines a code a week, 0 defects"  Next year... 1500/0 + tech docs... year after 2200/0 + tech docs + teach a team in India what you know, year after... supervise team code quality of india team on top of your coding duties (read, you're doing 2nd shift work). IBM managed services is amazingly expensive, but IBM can through in millions of dollars of "free services" which if timed right,...
It would be something.... stupid. This is a classic risk avoidance strategy... IBM is taking on all the risk.  This is no different than Apple buying a chip foundry.   Building an running a enterprise sales and support organization is really hard, and integrating with enterprise cruft that's out there is a black magic that requires a lot of hand holding...  We don't want a 3rd rate genius bar organization, Apple execs not minding the store but making sales calls to 'close...
I've sat through those presentations for years.   ObjectVision, Java, AppCelerator,  I'm getting good at it. Almost as good as  'client centric solutions and synergies[sssssss]'