or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

So this chip and this OS are basically being developed in vacuums and it will be up to the 'integrators' to make them work together.   Who is invested in Performance? (Integration is a 'time to market' problem.)  I say all this in the vein that CPUs and OSes and Compilers have cycled back to the 70's and 80's when and have learned from their mistakes as well. 1) You don't design long term backwards compatibility into your chips.  You design forward compatibility into your...
Never say never....  I think that model will be scaled down for the mini.  without the need for a DVD player and the the eventual elimination of the spinning drive (and/or the continued used of 5400rpm 2.5" drives).  the footprint of the mini will likely morph into either the Airport Extreme or the Mac Pro forms at 1/3 or 1/2 height. BTW, in terms of 'small' and powerful... the Mac Mini (4 core 2.6ghz i7) is nearly 60% more powerful (GeekBench3) per cubic inch than the Mac...
but the lithium licks are still in the staff cafeteria. There is no benefit to being beholden to  sole source provider of your technology core.  Intel was a necessary evil as they moved off PPC, and in a 10 year run, not a bad show.   Intel is now running into problems.... not the least of which is maintaining 18 year old compatibility  modes.  the iOS/OSX core technology is chipset independent.  And now with even more skillz applied to LLVM/CLANG swift/objC, the migration...
 I assure you, Intel is being reminded every week by Apple of the time when Apple switch from the POWER series to x86.  Just like you're reminded that mosquitos may draw a couple drops of blood from you from their incessant buzzing. But from Intel's perspective, it's just a flesh wound, not fatal, if Apple leaves the fold.  At least in 2014 frame of reference it is. (POWER didn't die, and Apple is still a small player in the total x86 based PC/laptop market, itself a just...
#1... I agree with.   Just like the iPad Mini, the market defines the form factor #2... I don't... totally, agree.   4 reasons1)  _MOBILE_ phones are pocket/portable devices.  there is still a premium on small/capable:1 handed grab and use mode.* 2)  I don't see Apple trying to have 3 form factors in a device.  In every space they've evolved to 2.  (RIP 17" MBP).  Too many choices. 3)  4.7 may be 'big enough'  given Apples' glass quality (sapphire), and small enough (in...
5s and 5c had significantly different internals. Given that we've never seen a 4.7 and 5.5 set of parts side by side, I'm inclined to think that one of them will have lower specs.   I strongly sense that the larger one will be that lower specced device, and will have a 'c' set of colors.  And I don't think Sapphire for the larger screen.   I think the 4.7 will be the flagship, and the 5.5 be the replacement for the 'c' series, and there be a 4.0. version fork for a couple...
These and most of the others point out that 'memory' is an important aspect of our smart device experience. I think instead of having a memory for each app on the system, a common 'recents' place should evolve for persons, places, services.   Since iOS really revolves around 'communication,'  'recents' in the phone app seems logical.  I'd like to see 'recents' expand to - recently searched places/services- recently mapped locations- recently called- recently...
Do you worry that your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/lover/secretary/workmates/wife/children/dog observe you?    ​If you do, why are you posting on this website?  You've just added your computer, your router, the ISP, the MSP, the AI firewall, the AI server, and just about anyone who cares to infiltrate your inner being.   Siri on a Mac is what we all want.   Skynet is what we all fear.      Something in the middle is what we deserve.
But for teachers and school districts coming from a PC background, Chromebooks and Google Apps are most of what they need.1) distribute reading material  (PDF, HTML, HTML5 reader of book formats)2) distribute assignments3) retrieve written assignments4) take canned tests5) communicate grades back to students (and parents). That's about it.   There is some really cool stuff out there, but for 80% of the classrooms, that's about it. There is one thing an chrome book is a lot...