or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

Because pundits only see wins and losses... they don't see goals and achievements.  either way, when you're at the point when you need 100+million chips a year, considering a newcomer as a 'sole source' is grand fantasy.  Samsung can print out 100Million custom chips in it's sleep. oh, and you forgot about this musing http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/24/rumor-tsmc-inks-deal-to-build-20nm-a8-chips-for-apple-starting-this-year which even implicates an Apple Intel...
I think the opposite it true.  The 'demise' of Samsung's chip deals with Apple have been sung for 3 years, and each iPhone release, you see another Samsung foundry stamp on the A chip.   The crux of the issue is Samsung is getting out Samsunged in China. Apple is in business to make money, and while the ASeries chip is full of great IP, it's not anything that is revolutionary as far as chip logic goes.  So partnering with Samsung, and now, with others (lowers business...
 I've read the reports both ways.   But the direction is clear... Apple is not sole sourcing 'custom' chips, and is hoping that TSMC can step in and handle the bulk of the work.   Whether this is punitive, or just good business (two suppliers... pricing race to the bottom, and lowered risk in source issues), Samsung will feel the effect.  Most of the reports I read is who is 'lead' in development, not who is 'sole source' in development. There's a difference between being...
Recap: Chitika tracks ad data on web pages iOS in particular and the smartphone market in general is more and more app centric Less web page ad hits relative to 'smart phone usage' (navigating in apps, including the webrowser usage)   ergo, their stats have very little to do with how 'well' iOS devices are doing in the marketplace, except for the selling web ad marketplace.   And you can infer the same for all the other phones...  people are moving to...
No.   proof the iWatch/iTime/WristPad exists and will come in 5 colors... and PLAID...  And will be on the arm of every golfer in the Rider Cup. sheesh. Back on point.  It's now necessary to have a social media director.   I don't think they needed it 8 years ago, but they do today.And Apple, being the hugest consumer retail company in the universe (okay, the solar system),  you don't get a student intern and thrust them into the job (anymore).   This is a person who has...
this is pretty close...  In general I agree, but I would argue it's more 'sweat equity' of making the @#$Q%!$ things work, you feel that you've 'earned' the right to say, 'it was a hard horse to break, but now that I've done it, it's the best horse ever!' There is also the concept that Apple hardware is expensive and time is free, especially if you're getting paid to supply time (paid to be the hero). The fact that the Surface was not going to be cloned was a critical...
and still their profits were down.... Amazing. Their Legal department must love attending strategy meetings, Either they are gluttons for punishment or just enjoy the blood lust of courtroom battle.
err   I think you got it backwards.... getting what you pay for, as a consumer, for _is_ net neutrality.   Paying for 100mbits/second, but if you choose apple content over netflix content, and are limited to 40mbps because netflix gets 'priority' within an ISP's routing mesh is not 'getting what you pay fore. True Net Neutrality would put ISPs and MSP's at the disadvantage of needing to provide better bandwidth management schemes in place, and likely going to capped...
CDNs are typically one way streets... all data all the time from the CDN into a region... I mean, Joe User doesn't send his photo stream to Apple via Akamai.  With Apple in the ISP, they can, and get more consistent performance uploading and downloading.  Apple can basically have every ISP that peers with them set up a 17.*.*.* route and bypass the mid levels peer exchanges and jump directly into Apple's Routing mesh. Currently, there likely parts of Apple's 17.* network...
One thing not mentioned is if net neutrality goes away, Apple is dealing directly with the ISPs for content delivery rate contracts