or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

btw,  Cringely has been pretty much on point on IBM strategy over the last several months...   http://www.cringely.com/2014/07/16/ibm-apple-just-big-deal/   Key point here.  IBM has a new shiny object to sell to execs... "We _KNOW_ Apple" That's all they wanted.   Apple gets a huge support partner ("hey, if you don't like the Apple Store, you can always call IBM"), and a channel, but in the end, a couple million new phones a year is almost background noise, and...
Where I've heard that before is not by clients... but by employees, typically around performance review time. The trade off for this is that most of the rank and file IBM workers are grist for the 'taking care of clients' mill.    A) Great performers [those willing to sacrifice more than 40 hours a week, family life, etc...] are moved up the chain, B) Poor performers are replaced by offshoreC) middle of the road, The 'I'm here for a steady income, doing my job' sort of...
agreed.   although all those ugly black 1900x1200 screens and black keyboards and 3 button mice with rollers... YUCK!
In the web world...  this was the control feature... in the App world, frameworks will still only live at the interface veneer, and it will be some obvious architectural choices made to generalize features or have dual logic stacks to the same end for different platforms.   My guess is that Android and WinMobile Apps will continued to be developed against the same backend (non corporation wants to be single sourced), but the 1st choice will be iOS, for obvious reasons....
as stated in other threads... the numbers of devices sold will be amazingly small given the huge consumer market Apple has achieved (and the BYOD that can be exploited).   However, the cost for Dell/HP/Lenovo to remain in the WinTel device business will increase dramatically, as that's where their only  profits are.
"Hold your friends close, but your enemies closer" IBM will be a fixture in the corporation until someone can virtualize a VM/MVS/zOS into a VMware partition that is as fast as the fastest current mainframe for less money. IBM has reinvented itself into a business consulting company that takes everything it custom builds, and makes a product out of it, because if IBM or one it's customer's has the problem, another 20 are out there looking for the same solution......
part of my comment is raw data (in our hyper aware state) is better than useless summarizations.Anything less than 1Munits/q isn't shown.  Which means there at least 22 other VENDORS out there. Amazon  (fires are 4 and 5 on top electronics sold, and Kindle Paperwhite is number 2)MicrosoftBlackberry among them. Part of this (on my cynical side) is that IDC has such fudgy numbers for everyone but apple, that it 'thinks' this many tablets were sold, but can't account for...
 The App store (especially in-app functionality purchases) are an interesting implementation of Alan Cox's  (father of ObjC) concept of the 'software IC'   where micro payments are made every unit of time you use something.  micro royalties, pay per use, whatever.   If you're paying .99 for something... would you pay less  (0.01) and use a broader set of valuable stuff.   Apply that to Siri and custom filters.  and then apply Siri coming back and saying... "I have a custom...
Exactly.   The right tool for the job at hand, but no tool excludes the use of another  The problem with hybrid on a lower power computing device is that it negates much of the benefit.     Now, if I can just get my calendars to sync all the time.
I would argue that the 'revolution' cycle time has decreased by an order of magnitude, and increased on world social impact by an order of magnitude.  10% of every man/woman/child in the world has smartphones now.  .00....01% had access to a 'computer' before 'personal' computers.  and I would argue it was never a PC thing, but a network (lower case 'n') thing, which at its root, a speed of communication thing. The iPad/iPhone is just a very convenient Internet Spigot you...