or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

the comparison is made on a guess of this year and last year's whole numbers.  and it's an Estimate based on an Estimate (It's not even Gene's numbers, but his interpretations of NPD's numbers).   It's not a real decline until apple posts numbers.   What sort of bizarre logic is apple stock price have to do with consumer purchase?   I've heard that in the past by the corporate sales Microsoft/IBM FUDdie duddies  ('Don't buy that, they'll be out of business next year'),...
 agree.   I'm currently consulting at 2 organizations just starting their Win7 conversions.  Over 40,000 desktops switching to Win7.  Win8 is still early adopter hell for corporations.  and of course, the only reason you would choose windows at home is because you're used to it at work or like what you have... neither of which is a reason to upgrade to Win8.   My guess is OSX will eventually support iOS apps, but the UI will be distinctly OSX/touchpad.  and Mac apps will...
Personally, I think this is Thurott trying to get some advertising hits on his site.  He becomes irrelevant when Windows becomes irrelevant.   I think he's realized that any anti-MS  posting he makes drives his revenue up...;-)   That said, I would have predicted sales to be low, for one and only one reason... iPad.  
  MLB.tv appears to be the model... just build a channel/app and stream HD.  NFL, Basketball and baseball are no brainers... Colleges/Leagues can sell streaming rights.  the delivery system is there.   the subscription service is there.  What isn't there is the motivation to break non-exclusivity and/or closed delivery  at this point.     And I forgot to note another reason why... no one wants to give up the demographic information on the subscribers, as that is backend...
post again speeds Jan 3.  My guess there will be a bit of 'erosion' of peak speeds as the bandwidth gets absorbed by upgrades. (5% of US phones upgrade during the holidays)   I just don't see the backhaul keeping up.   It's one thing to build a network for devices that suck 4mbps each... it's another for a device 8X faster.
  +1  after living through the lack of backhaul in downtown Minneapolis (I was literally on the wrong side of the building, but I was getting a tower that happened to server the 35W/94 area in South Minneapolis.  Literally shut down at 3:30pm-6:30pm.   Now I work in the hinterlands of ATT on the north side of town... toying with switching to the VZN.... but... as you noted... there is no lesser of the evils here.
I agree on both counts (although I don't use a cable company for internet).   The key on the latter is convincing the media owners that they shouldn't create their own CDNs (Hulu).   They constantly stalling on these decisions primarily to cut better deals with the cable cos. and the Cable cos then lock them into multi-year exlusivity for 'non-DVD' impressions, and then the cable customer who watches 'The Office' has to pay .10/month so Weeds isn't distributed quickly to...
It's 2 phased... but it all drops into content delivery... Yes, I've said in the past that tying apple TV to be your cable 'navigation guide' is a smart thing, but you still need to integrate into the (myriad of) cable encryption/signalling system(s).  In the US there are several dozen, I can only imagine the net-net of counting Asia  Europe, Australia, Africa/MiddleEast.   It'a about content delivery.  And Live (sports) streams with HD quality.   Personally, I think the...
  actually, I think all of apple's history is 'you guys got it all wrong... here is how to do [personal computing|graphical computing|networked personal computing|personal music players|mobile computing on a phone|tablet computing].     The key here is navigating and selecting your 'personal content' to be delivered to you via a large screen in your home.  They have the hardware (appleTV, iPad), for internet delivery of content... the question is do they want to be...
personally, the disconnection of public transit directions to other apps is neck snapping... i prefer the old maps interface where I could enter start and destination, and compare driving to public transit in one app, as opposed to keying it up in 2 different apps (transit for me).