or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

it's heavier by .52 lbs.  and uses .2A more power.   and it's about 40 cubic inches 'bigger' but practically no taller than the old unit was wide     new:(http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/specs/) Dimensions: 3.85 inches (98 mm) by 3.85 inches (98 mm) by 6.6 inches (168 mm) Weight: 2.08 pounds (945 grams)1 old (http://support.apple.com/kb/sp20) Length: 6.5 inches (165 mm) Width: 6.5 inches (165 mm) Height: 1.3 inches (34 mm) Weight: 1.66 pounds (753...
dots...  connect... the... dots...   Apple doesn't release a 3 4K screen capable MacPro without a display to exploit that capability   And once that capability is in the OS, Every Mac can take advantage of it.  Every Mac.    And once you build a 4K 'monitor', a $99 AppleTV could enable it for Airplay mounted on your wall.  And if there was a 'iTV' app (like an iRadio app), that munged all the MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL (I wish), Hulu+, Netflix, iTunes, and made it 'easy' for...
I'm a computer pro.   The fastest computer I physically worked on had the same basic design...  the Cray XMP.   circular, custom aluminum heatsink in the center, power supply at the bottom, pull through cooling.    The most expansible computer I worked on... IBM ZSeries... you had to add a chassis or 10, but the high speed FICON cabling made that a snap.  I could connect as many disks and tape drives as I wanted, and interconnect with other Zseries computers, comm...
expansion... for the most part, having local HDDs will evolve back to Thunderbolt expansion chassis... this shrinks the chassis,the power supply, and the air/cooling requirements of the base unit... in the Extreme Programming parlance... YAGNI (you aren't going to need (all of) it). Better to expand as needed. Also, In a NAS/SAN world, it makes more sense to have one data farm than lots of local storage, so this actually fares well in the corp office environment. For...
'Monster"?     It's 6.6" tall... about the same height than current AE width, with a current AppleTV footprint.   So volume wise, it's what, 20% larger than the the current AE.  hardly monster... just different dimensions for the same innards.
Apple's usually pretty good on their battery life predictions...     9 hours for me is good enough.  I need to get up and do other stuff a couple hours a day...
effectively this.   There is no more macbook.  the MacBook Air is the center of the Mac Portable line now.   It's the all day everyday computer. The iPads are below it, the Pros are above it.      The thing about portability is not how much you can put into it, but how much you can leave out.  the MBA is minimalist, yet, faster, more storage, and assuming the same weight, almost a full day battery life.   Retina is a great option, but it cause too much compromise. a 15"...
I really do think  that 256GB is overkill in the new cloud data model... If for nothing else... put your old laptop over in a corner, and build a VPN so you can tunnel in and mount the drive as your 'offline' data.  Otherwise, most of your 'nearline' working set can live in dropbox/icloud.     Again, for most non-power users, 128 should be plenty.   That said, I can't see anyone buying a 4gb model;-) All the OS improvements in the world can't replace the need for the...
my guess is will be the density of Video Airplay going on in your home, coupled with end device antennas.  If you got only one antenna, and you're blasting out 60fps of 1080p from a internet source, you're probably taxing an 'n' network.  Now add 2 more active devices, (like that new MBA Airplaying to an AppleTV connected monitor), Time Machine backups, etc., more antennas would be a very good thing, if for nothing else to split the bandwidth across multiple spectra.
I think for the vast majority, if you a recent AirportExtreme/TimeCapsule, most won't need to upgrade given the current functions of the box or of the other participants.   My guess is that I'll upgrade next year (I just got a new TC last year... it fixed all my coverage problems in the house)... by that time, i'll probably have at least 3 AC devices in the house, and a 40Mbps link to the house.  if all 6 antenna are 'ac' in the new AE/TC, that's a 2-4Gbps of...