or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

Less about death, and more about market saturation and stagnation...  Even if Android isn't making money in the market, it's soaking up potential buyers.  Same with tablets and PCs.   Apple is making money hands over fist, but it can't make 'more' money, because the market is not growing (faster than the population rate).   The past 4 months have all been about market manipulation in the general sense (all markets are manipulated)... the combo platter of Euro debt crisis,...
Publicly held stock is great when it appreciates or pays a reasonable dividend. Dell does neither for buy and hold owners. taking a stock private is done when the stock is believed to be under appreciated by the Market... When does Apple do the same? Then all those stock manipulators won't have Apple to kick around anymore ;-)
Except the people buying the phones.
Piling on...   The Mini, and eventually the 'entry level Mini'  (last years model) coupled with LTE/3G support in world wide markets is the iOS entry into the 'OLPC' world (especially for OLPA - one laptop per adult).  As the LTE enabled price approaches sub $250, and connectivity to carriers approach $10/month, it's becoming affordable for those who can justify cell access.   If you assume that WiFi will be the more predominant than cell coverage, then the price drops...
  For 80% of the world, I think 'any file _I_ want'  is covered. and 'any video I want' is limited only by the video content owners deciding whether or not to participate directly (iTMS) or indirectly (Apps) in the iOS ecosystem.   Agreed, Off Net use is the primary requirement met by PCs and laptops.   However, the gap between On and Off Line is narrowing.   The computational model is reverting back to 'always connected' (ala pre-PC days).  But the transition is having a...
Size?  It's not size.   The key things for the iPad in _ENTERPRISE_ business has been  1) the difficulty in jailbreaking them and their implicit encrypted and sandboxed data and memory management systems. 2) the ability to do enterprise software distributions 3) the existence of enterprise management software (Enterprise IT can audit the things and quickly isolate those  4) Apple licensing ActiveSync for Exchange   The last 2, replace RIMMs BES, which...
Your quote... faster horse vs car...  You quoted me in that response.  It was where you pulled me in.   no, I'm not.  and your arguments for that are orthogonal from your iPhone vs Note vs iPhoneX You need to break these down into 2 different arguments 1) people are buying big phones 2) there is an unimaginable capability if we put a supercomputer with infinitely fast GPUs, an amazing battery, and a superior visual presentation.   For 1), you numbers don't factor.  120M...
  Piling on.... old thinking to me is using a phone in a single modality (audio only).    iPhone's are a multi-modal device.   Talk and surf (not while walking, at least not well) in a connected world is the norm.   iPads are perfectly capable of multi-modal phone calls.   The limiting factor now appears to be carriers, and/or the ubuiquity of multiMbit/sec WiFi.
I think you're thinking I disagree with you on the rest of the iOS stuff... it may be a English vs Portugese implicit communication.  and somehow you're thinking I'm anti-Apple.  I'm not.   I am arguing the primary point.  An Intermediate screen size does not define a untapped niche of untold riches for Apple to create yet another 300 SKUs (2 colors, 1-3 cell bands, 100 countries), that your same modifications can't provide in the current form factors.     I agree on the...
This is your 'car' analogy?   Sorry, you're now working your way back to the 'Car vs Truck' analogy, and you're asking for a truck that handles like a car.    Enterprise doesn't want a bigger phone (I sit in that space).  Enterprise wants singular platform to manage.  iOS is that.   Colleges don't want phones.  iPad for them.   Business... other than some yet undefined road warrior, I see no $20Billion/year profit niche for a larger, faster, 'phone'.     What is missing...