or Connect

Posts by TheOtherGeoff

This is the interesting tech thought… typically open/free/competitively-multi-sourced are considered the baseline for commodity business stuff, such as cash registers and the whatnot. I do think that 'secure,' 'supported,' and 'solid' (reputation, construction, architecture etc). are key words now.   The price point for support of an iPad is a lot lower than an OEM (or integrator) building a device out of Windows and 'a reasonable set of motherboards, power supplies, and...
2. The nice thing about NeXTSTEP kernel was that it DID run on most of those platforms you listed;-), and was pretty full functioned as a microkernel.   It moved up to OSX nicely, but it's still there.  Moving to ARM and then building a new UI on top of that (not using OSX's APIs and forcing it into a small 1/2GB RAM footprint.  It may have not been designed for smartphones, but it was a microkernel from the CMU days, and therefore wasn't like an NT based solution (or a...
 Think bigger.  PadBookAir (13" retina touchscreen, SSD,  Thunderbolt, LTE, 'ac',  iPad and integrated keyboard/trackpad, TouchID). I agree the AppleTV is a platform that can use more power… but… an ARM iOS laptop… no Intel (and that $100+ tax on their chipset), and no Samsung. Sell it with either Mac OSX or iOS on it.    ...and everything Surface wanted to be but couldn't  (you want desktop or mobile OS… Or even dual boot/emulation… yeah, we got it.)
The C is being targeted as a more flexible mid range device… maintains apple's target margin, and allows the carriers to make money on the sale of the device (about 30% of the subscriber fee… before data/usage fees)… And Apple users use more bandwidth (I've got 4 phones on my  plan, running a 6gb plan (and we had overages last month… a lot of time on the road)… which again is more profit (if you don't want that overage… you overbuy… and there are no 'rolloverg GBs'...
 In a month, AS THE ARTICLE STATES, the developer has the choice to support iOS6 32bit AND/OR iOS 7 32/64 bit from the same xCode kit.    In other words, don't blame Apple, blame the developer.   This would be no different from a change in an API/SDK that is not in iOS6.  The developer could decide not support those not upgrading, or they fork the code and build 2 apps… one for the left behinds, and one for the current state. Technology marches onward.  Every once and a...
 and what phone does Sir Mix a Lot use?
 In the future the 'belts and suspenders' will be there for those who need it.  If nothing else now the 4 digit pin (and a lowered lockout - 5 tries) becomes useful again.   A thumbprint and a pattern (that's my password…. I really can't even tell you what the characters are unless I look at the keyboard).   3 factor authentication  agreed.  The use case for this is the stolen/lost/unattended phone/ipad… and 'stealing passwords' via social engineering, or just good optics...
 It is however, the bellwether iPhone.    and in the stock market 'bellwether >> flagship' the 5s charts the future course, but the 5c is the 'financial workhorse'   (alliteration not intended).    Sales of the 5c, (whether ever reported directly, or how they contribute to 'total iPhone sales' and ASP) for the next quarter will be the primary worry of wall street, because the it's the $100 and $1 phones that sell the most, and in the past drag down the ASP.   If you read...
Agreed.  Not only do they not control the IDE,  the IDE doesn't have a clue on what architectures are coming out next week (in theory), and if they did, they'd have to compromise across the 20 odd HW variations to make them all work. The key on making binary architectures work, is to control the software, and design the hardware to exploit it.  And then Visa Versa.  Apple is doing that in spades.   Microsoft… maybe in 20 years.  
 well my electrical engineering glasses were on when I read this and the referenced articles and the fact that the a7 chip has both 64bit and 32bit cores makes 'compatibility mode' somewhat spurious.  Obviously you need better glasses, as you don't see the basic architecture of the a7.   Out of the box,  if it was compiled in 32bit, you run in 32bit.  and obtw, the next run through Xcode, create a universal binary, send to AppStore, and you're running 64 bit.   Apple's...