or Connect

Posts by ash471

Amazon is in a much different position than other handset makers. It has content and cloud storage. They have a legitimate business position to sell phones. I think they made a mistake by incorporating too much tech in the first iteration. They should have focused on the camera and cloud storage and rolled out the high tech stuff after they started to build a reputation and had some developers. They also should have made the hardware improvements something that app...
Good analysis.  However, I think MS actually needs to be much much more aggressive in letting people go.  They need to shrink by like 90%.  You can't reinvent yourself with 50,000 employees.  Most companies don't have the guts to let the people go if they have the money to keep them. They just keep the ship sailing as long as they can. That's certainly what happened at Kodak.  In order to have the Apple scenario, the company usually has to be in dire straights (i.e., run...
Agreed.  We need some metric for measuring how many people are using macs.  I have a 3 year old MBA and a 6 year old Mac Pro and I keep thinking about upgrading but they work just fine.  And when I do upgrade, they will be passed on to others in the family, not thrown away.  Apple's true market share could be several times the number of sales.
I would bet against Tizen all day long. Admittedly, I haven't used Tizen.  However, I very much doubt it will succeed as a platform.  I have enough experience selling consumer products to know that change is very hard.  There are only three things that cause change 1. price, 2. desired technological advancement, or 3. branding/trends/culture.  Samsung isn't going to accomplish any of those three.  Price doesn't matter (nobody charges for the UI).  Tizen doesn't produce a...
Disagree.  From the litigation we know that Samsung recognized right away that copying was the only option.  It wasn't dumb luck. They knew exactly what they were doing. And their math was correct.  They made a lot more money copying than the rest of the competitors combined. How's that not good business? I'm no Samdung fan, but I recognize good business decisions when I see them. 
Totally agree.  Remember when all the pundits said that the iPhone would be a paper weight and that Apple had no business getting into the smartphone market?  Remember how they all told us that the business world would never use a phone without a physical keyboard?  Remember how everyone said the iPhone was just a "toy."  Remember how the iPad was just a big iPod touch?In patent law, commercial success and copying are two important indicia of non-obviousness.  I've always...
What makes Samsung good business people is that they recognized there wasn't time to develop a platform from scratch.  Wholesale copying was the only chance they had.  I'm not condoning the copying.  I'm just saying that Samsung is a better-run company than Microsoft, Blackberry, Nokia, etc, because Samsung recognized the path to success.  And it wasn't just because Samdung has a culture of copying and companies like Microsoft don't.  Quite the contrary, Microsoft has a...
Good point. Three quarters of decline is not good.  However, I think the success of the Samsung mobile is so great that the management team has a lot of room to fall. Samsung's huge success is still emblazoned in the minds of its shareholders. Samsung may lose to Apple, but they beat Google-Motorola, Microsoft, LG, HTC, Sony, Huawei, Nokia, and Blackberry.  These companies all lost money trying to compete with Apple.  Samsung is the lone successful competitor.  Samsung...
Sounds easy on paper, but I think Tizen would be a disaster.  Samsung customers are like Microsoft customers.  They didn't care about performance to begin with, which is why they chose Samsung (or Microsoft) in the first place.  Once they learned how to use their shitty software, the worst thing you can do to them is make them learn new shitty software.  Look at Microsoft XP customers. MS can't get them to upgrade over a decade later. Every new MS OS release is followed by...
Samdung had one strategy....100% pure replica of Apple device.  Apple is now focusing on software services and integrated hardware solutions that aren't easily copied. Software services work best on a non-fragmented platform.  Apple's CPU, graphics, and motion chips also require a non-fragmented platform and require long lead times in planning.  There's a lot of irony in Apple leapfrogging the industry in hardware design.  They were criticized when they bought PA...