or Connect

Posts by ash471

Hopefully big companies like Apple will lose more cases like this to motivate them to support the patent system. We need to stop the war on non-practicing entities. It is destroying the patent system. If we don't change course soon, China will soon be a better place to protect your intellectual property. I know it sounds preposterous, but that's where things are headed right now. China gets better every year and the U.S. Gets worse.
This is happening because the software industry is anti-patent. And Apple lets its defense lawyers trash the patent system just as much as any other big tech company. I've been complaining about this for years. Nobody likes to pay royalties on patents, but you can't have it both ways. You can't expect the courts to apply one standard when the innovation comes from a non-practicing inventor and apply a different standard when it's a big company. Courts don't play favorites,...
I've been preaching for years that the anti-patent movement is a bad thing.  What goes around comes around.
Great idea!  And build a version that only allows a Korean language version of the OS.  Then they can sell them below cost without risk of the product polluting their other markets.By the way, price wars on home turf is exactly how some other industries threaten their competitors. Tech companies don't do this much because patents are a better option...or at least they used to be. 
Sounds similar to cold-spraying to form metal parts, but in this case you spray a liquid metal instead of accelerate a nanoparticle at high velocity to fuse it to the forming substrate. Spraying liquid metal is probably much more amenable to use in 3D printing than cold spraying. This could be really interesting for 3D printing. Not sure how it benefits Apple....
Most of you anti-patent people are naive about what is really going on in the IP world.  You are pawns to giant corporations who use litigation and public sentiment to avoid paying a small inventor for their inventions.  Yes there are a few bad trolls out there enforcing patents that aren't legitimate.  But many of these patent litigation cases are legitimate and are unfairly attacked.   Large companies are bastards to small inventors. Facebook bought 500 million dollars...
By the way, the fact that Apple paid 8 million for a license suggests to me that Apple may have been complicit in this litigation.  That amount is just what the company needed to enforce its patents.  And the company out suing everyone for patent infringement on podcasting benefits Apple, since Apple was providing a licensed product.  I'm willing to bet Apple strategically paid that 8 million.
The patent was filed in 1996, 5 years before the iPod and the "cottage industry" that developed.  I haven't reviewed the PTAP decision and I'm not familiar with the facts of this case, but it looks to me like a classic case where a small guy invented something and everyone infringing the patent couldn't be bothered with paying the inventors a royalty and the inventors sold out to a litigation firm.  I hope they have other patents that they can enforce against the f'ing...
Yes, if they get deleted from the cloud, they will be gone from all of your devices.  When you sign up for Photos, Apple tells you to backup your photos yourself.Photos is an improvement over iCloud Drive.  If you delete a photo, Apple puts it in a deleted folder where it remains for 40 days. It will even tell you how many days left until deletion.But trust me, that's not a substitute for a legitimate backup.  Last fall I had all my contacts deleted from iCloud. Poof....
Agreed. I think the solution is to use Photos and Aperture for the near future.  iPhoto has always been a POS, so no heartache losing that.