or Connect

Posts by ash471

I'm not sure why you think Apple has iCloud right. Most of us bitching in this article are probably like me and have 10's of thousands of dollars worth of Apple hardware and recognize good products when we see them.  iCloud is $hit.
Agreed.  I think a recovery system is critical to any cloud storage system. And so is file sharing with other accounts. And that is exactly why Apple has their head up their a$$.  Why don't they just copy DropBox. How hard can it be? A college CS dropout could figure this out.  Why can't Apple with its 40,000 employees and $180 billion in the bank figure it out.   Dropbox is not confusing.  There is no need to make it more simple. Just copy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  
 You are correct, it makes no sense.  But it is Apple that has (or had) things screwed up, not me. Apple decided that since the contacts are already in the cloud, contacts didn't need to be part of the iPhone backup.  The idea was to save space in the backup. Trust me, I had plenty of iPhone backups.  iPhone backups do not include backups of your contacts.  You can test it if you want. Delete your contacts and then restore your phone to an earlier date.  I dare you to do...
Directly connecting is a lame ass way to access files. It requires that both computers be on and connected at the same time. Dropbox and AeroFS are a decade ahead of Apple. How can a company so good at hardware suck sooo bad at software. It's not rocket science. F'ing copy DropBox. That's what AeroFS did. And it works great.
Except that you're wrong. iCloud does not back up your contacts, or at least it didn't in December 2014. I got to a very high level in Apple technical service and the guy acknowledged this was a problem. Contacts aren't backed up because they are an iCloud service. The backup only backs up the data not on iCloud.And yes, of course I tried to restore from backup. Duh.To be fair, we don't really know how the contacts got deleted. The syncing with the new device is just a...
I don't want the ability to connect directly. I want iCloud to handle the syncing, but not store the data. Does Back to Mac do that?
Another thing Apple could do is build a syncing service similar to AeroFS (or acquire AeroFS).  AeroFS makes a syncing service that is just like DropBox, but there is no cloud.  The syncing is just between your own devices.  Apple could add limited iCloud storage to AeroFS and users would still be able to sync all their photos to a personal device.  
Agreed.  The problem is nobody knows how iCloud works.  I found out the hard way that iCloud doesn't back up your contacts.  iCloud stores your contacts, but it doesn't back them up. A family member added an iOS devices to my account and replaced my 10 years of contacts with the blank slate from the new device.  iCloud propagated the blank slate to itself and all 5 of my other devices.  Apple had no way to get it back.  It never occurred to me that I could lose my contacts...
The best solution would be for Apple to allow unlimited storage of the photos that are on your iOS device (which has limited storage to begin with) and then provide a syncing service with limited storage (for anything including docs, photos deleted off iPhone, etc).  If iCloud syncs your photos to another storage location, it can delete the copy in iCloud as you run out of iCloud space.  The only time you would need a warning is if you don't have it saved anywhere else....
What don't you like about Yosemite?  Is it spotlight? Ever since I updated to Yosemite, Spotlight never returns a search result worth looking at.  I have to search the particular application where the document is found (e.g., Mail).  What's up with that?