or Connect

Posts by ash471

Interesting, the Internet started at PARC?  Funny how culture works. You would think this would be widely known; like the GUI being invented at PARC. I was just talking to a colleague who used ARPAnet in the late 70s. He was an engineering grad student at the University of Utah, which was one of three schools on ARPAnet. He said the first full resolution picture sent over ARPAnet was a naked lady.  It took forever to transfer. (brings new meaning to tantalizing). My...
The bend test was pretty cool.  I wish we could see a side-by-side comparison with gorilla glass. You might be surprised how flexible glass is when it's thin.  One thing is for sure, if Apple uses a sapphire display, it will be better than gorilla glass.  Apple doesn't use gimmicks. If the material doesn't have a real world benefit, they wouldn't use it. 
I'm afraid that creating a good seal for helium in a consumer electronics device is totally impractical.  Helium atoms are tiny and non-charged, which means over time they will diffuse through almost any material, especially a flexible membrane. What might be interesting is if Apple set up a helium recharging station in the Apple Store where people can come in and just recharge the helium for free. The sales from increased foot traffic could easily pay for itself.   
Agreed. Internet is lagging.  The problem is the structure of the industry and pricing.  Internet is like a utility because it has to be wired to your house, which means competition is low. Secondly, it is very difficult for customers to know what they are actually getting.  The industry sells "up to X speed," which mean they can deliver literally any speed and technically meet their end of the deal.  There are practical reasons why this system exists and is allowed....
I'm a shareholder and I prefer that Apple does what makes shareholder's the most money over the long term.  I don't think Apple likes Samdung anymore than any of us.  Obviously, Samdung must be the best solution for high quality low costs parts. More to the point, Samdung copied UI and design features from Apple, both of which can be obtained by simply buying an Apple device.  So switching suppliers for semiconductor fab doesn't help prevent copying at all. In fact, it...
By the way, the Supreme Court got this one right (surprisingly).  Congress amended the copyright act with the intent of covering retransmissions of public broadcasts.  Don't bitch to the Supreme Court, they were just enforcing the law.
This case is complicated.  You aren't going to understand this case unless you've read the briefs and understand the finer details of making copies, the public performance right, the transmit clause, compulsory licensing in broadcast TV, the prior SC decision in Fortnightly, the 1976 revisions of the copyright statute, etc.      The vast majority of the comments in this blog were clearly based on misunderstandings of the facts and the law. I suppose it is still...
Making your own recording using EyeTV is fine because you don't retransmit it to anyone.
As a consumer device Google Glass is a failure, but there are many niche projects where Glass will succeed.  For instance, I think some version of it will end up in hospitals providing info to docs.  The reason is that doctors need access to information and if they have sterile gloves on they can't touch screens or other things outside the sterile field. Another example is the group that used Google Glass for giving deaf people information in a museum.  Obviously Google...
Scalpel blades aren't reusable.  No need to make the blade last longer.