or Connect

Posts by ash471

You and Apple don't get it.Most of the critical documents in a new company are drafted by lawyers. Contracts, operating agreements, NDAs, employment agreements, supply agreements, distribution agreements,financing documents, intellectual property, etc.A business has to be able to receive and edit documents from their lawyers. Since lawyers can't use Pages, most businesses have to use Word. If they already have Word, it makes no sense to Pages and the lack of features...
Business is what drives adoption of Word processing. If businesses don't use iWork, the youngsters will switch. My kids all have Apple devices but use Word because that's what I use for work and I buy it for my home computers so that I have compatibility.
iWork is still useless, because Pages doesn't do paragraph numbering (and no, number lists don't cut it). Lawyers have to have paragraph numbering. If lawyers can't use Pages, then businesses can't use Pages. If businesses can't use Pages, then anyone working at a business that creates documents is going to use MS word at home because that's what they are familiar with. I've been bitching about this for years. Why the F'ck can't Apple add F'ng paragraph numbering to Pages.
Or Apple may be betting that Tesla is going to be stuck with a giga pile of batteries with old technology and Apple will be making batteries that are lighter and more powerful.  Everybody thinks there is a first mover advantage in technology, but Apple always seems to prove the advantage is to the second mover (probably because they watch someone do it wrong).   
I bought iCloud storage before I realized that iCloud doesn't let you share folders with other people like DropBox does. (i.e., you can't set up a shared folder and let people with other accounts add to or delete from the shared folder).  In other words, Apple is not even attempting to take on DropBox.  They need to make that clear to users.  iCloud is simply "online storage" and syncing between your own devices.
I'm not sure why you think Apple has iCloud right. Most of us bitching in this article are probably like me and have 10's of thousands of dollars worth of Apple hardware and recognize good products when we see them.  iCloud is $hit.
Agreed.  I think a recovery system is critical to any cloud storage system. And so is file sharing with other accounts. And that is exactly why Apple has their head up their a$$.  Why don't they just copy DropBox. How hard can it be? A college CS dropout could figure this out.  Why can't Apple with its 40,000 employees and $180 billion in the bank figure it out.   Dropbox is not confusing.  There is no need to make it more simple. Just copy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  
 You are correct, it makes no sense.  But it is Apple that has (or had) things screwed up, not me. Apple decided that since the contacts are already in the cloud, contacts didn't need to be part of the iPhone backup.  The idea was to save space in the backup. Trust me, I had plenty of iPhone backups.  iPhone backups do not include backups of your contacts.  You can test it if you want. Delete your contacts and then restore your phone to an earlier date.  I dare you to do...
Directly connecting is a lame ass way to access files. It requires that both computers be on and connected at the same time. Dropbox and AeroFS are a decade ahead of Apple. How can a company so good at hardware suck sooo bad at software. It's not rocket science. F'ing copy DropBox. That's what AeroFS did. And it works great.
Except that you're wrong. iCloud does not back up your contacts, or at least it didn't in December 2014. I got to a very high level in Apple technical service and the guy acknowledged this was a problem. Contacts aren't backed up because they are an iCloud service. The backup only backs up the data not on iCloud.And yes, of course I tried to restore from backup. Duh.To be fair, we don't really know how the contacts got deleted. The syncing with the new device is just a...