or Connect

Posts by ash471

Nice post. LOL.
On what basis will they be banned in public places?  Are we going to ban cameras in public places.  If you think this through, you'll soon realize just how hard it would be to ban these devices.   Is there anything that stops me from recording others in a public place using my iPhone?  What's your rationale for distinguishing between Google Glass and an iPhone recording.   To be sure, a time will come when the public will put limitations on what people can do with their...
Sorry, the AI article discusses "invalidation" in the patent office and I thought your question about "trial" was in reference to the USPTO proceeding.  (I don't read things very carefully when I'm not being paid to do it). =)   You are actually asking a very technical question.   What you want to know is whether a proceeding in the patent office after a trial will nullify or otherwise affect the judge's decision.  My best recollection is that the answer is no, so long as...
Facebook paid half a billion dollars for half the AOL portfolio.  I'm sure the worthless buddy patents were part of the portion Facebook received from Microsoft.  They probably think they are monetizing their patent portfolio. 
  Sorry if this is harsh, but your statement about disposing of the "current finding of infringement" is seriously messed up. There is no such thing as infringement in the patent office and the patent office does not conduct a "trial."  Infringement is something a competitor does once the patent is issued by the patent office.  The patent office "allows" or "rejects" claims.  "Infringement" and "invalidity" are issues raised by litigants in federal court and they are...
The fact that this is a final office action doesn't mean much.  Apple has the right to continue prosecution by paying a $1200 RCE fee. I've seen cases where the applicant has filed 3-4 RCEs before it gets allowed or is appealed.  Also, there are a fair amount of bone-headed examiners.  Unless you read the rejection and make a decision yourself, you don't have any idea whether Apple is in a good or a bad position.  Even then, a creative attorney may come up with a way to...
A good ad campaign may help, but I doubt it will win the day.  It isn't like patent examination is an easy job.  It is actually quite difficult and may be one of the mentally toughest domestic jobs in government.  So if someone offers a software engineer 20K more to work for a private company, why wouldn't they do it?   I'm sure you know this, but Einstein worked for the swiss patent office.  He did it because no one would give him a job in academia.  This illustrates my...
hmmm, good question.  I've never really given this much thought.  I assume you know that the reason these companies do this is to avoid direct counter claims for patent infringement (i.e, they are worried the defendant will have patents and fire back with a patent infringement suit).     I personally think it is a legitimate legal strategy.  These big companies are trying to isolate the liability to their parent company using another entity.  This is the very purpose of a...
WTF? You need to reevaluate your analytical skills.  I didn't use an example to make an argument.  I made an argument and supported it with an example. My Blackberry example was not the argument.  I made the argument that companies use litigation as a tool to avoid paying for legitimate patents and that non-practicing entities are a natural consequence of that tactic.  I then supported my argument with one of the most notorious patent litigation cases of our time, the...
You are correct that Congress could take away the patent system.  However...... Everyone that says patent trolls are abusing the patent system are DEAD WRONG.  Do you know why patent trolls exist?  They exist because big companies like Blackberry and Google use the cost of litigation to prevent legitimate patent owners from licensing or selling their patents to an infringer.  Companies will spend million fighting a lawsuit to not pay hundreds of thousands in royalty....