or Connect

Posts by ash471

Apple can't charge $600 for an iPhone in China and take any appreciable amount of the market.  I think what we are seeing is saturation of the iPhone in its target market.  Everyone that has the money to buy an iPhone has bought one.  If Apple refuses to expand its market, it will stop growing.  Apple may be fine with that, but many investors have a problem with it.   I don't think anyone really knows what Apple should do about its high priced high margin iPhone.  Do you...
Apple can't go private.  The market cap is way too high.  Who could possibly afford to buy it?
After hours trading is very light.  I think we'll see the stock come back most if not all of that 10%.  I think Wall Street knew revenue would be light, which is why the stock has been pummeled for the last few months.   I think what is really going on here is people that bought the iphone 4S can't upgrade for free until 18 months or more.  The device isn't enough better to justify paying full price.  I think Apple will continue to sell throughout the year as...
Facebook has no clue what will make money.  They should have been touting the "Nearby" feature that came out a month ago.  At least that app has the potential to serve up ads that are relevant to commerce.  Someone searching for pictures of their dog isn't going to produce click-throughs on advertising.  The decisions coming from FB remind me of Steve Ballmer. They just don't make sense. 
Agreed.  And the reason Graph Search is shit and will continue to be shit is that it doesn't have any click throughs.  The way you make search good is by having 100,000 people click through the wrong links so that you can quickly figure out what people are looking for (and serve up the right links to another billion people).  Facebook is a bunch of dumb shits.  After 10 years of Googling, they don't even understand what makes Google successful.    Every time these monkeys...
In what way is it messed up?  It works great.  Last time I checked, the US has the most robust entrepreneurial environment in the world. The purpose of the patent system is to encourage entrepreneurs.  If anything I think what is messed up is how the media castigates the patent system when it has no clue how the system works.  How can people who know so little about the system think they know whether it is messed up?     There is a lot of ranting and raving about how much...
Actually it makes perfect sense.  See post 28.  The patent office and the courts have different standards.  The different standards sometimes lead to different outcomes.  There are good reasons for having different standards, but the explanation is complicated.
This absolutely false.  No patent lawyer would ever try to improperly influence a patent examiner.  You cannot even talk to an examiner unless you schedule an appointment and put an interview summary in record saying what was discussed. Going to lunch is beyond preposterous.  Both the patent attorney and the examiner would get fired for offering/taking free lunches where there is a pending case between the two.     There is a lot of corruption in the world, but U.S....
What?  Apple didn't have to patent this.  If all they wanted was to prevent people from patenting it, it could have just released its product (i.e., made it public).  Secondly a person copying the iPad can't sue Apple unless they themselves obtain a patent.  If they are copying, they can't get a patent because the invention would already be public, else how could they copy it?  Your argument is illogical on its face.   Apple should patent anything novel and non-obvious...
hmmmm, the new york times publication can be used as prior art in a reexamination proceeding, but I don't think the discussion at the conference can be a basis for the rejection. Ex parte reexamination is only based on patents and printed publications (See MPEP 2258 and 37 C.F.R. 1.552)   This does illustrate why we have many different procedures and why the patent office can't be expected to find everything.  How in the hell would an Examiner know if someone showed a...