or Connect

Posts by ash471

What do you mean when you say, "the patent system is broken".  In what way is it broken?  Is it broken because it issued a patent on push email.  I think we can all agree that would be a stupid argument.  The patent system should definitely be encouraging innovation for things like push email.  Or do you think the patent system is broken because the NTP patents are invalid?  If you think that, please explain to me why you think they are invalid.  Have you read the claims...
What??? What makes you think the patent system is broken?  The patent system isn't broken.  What is broken is the mentality of the computer industry.  Where do you all get off telling a patent owner that he or she is "a troll" for enforcing a patent.  A troll is someone that charges to cross a bridge that the troll doesn't own.  NTP bought and paid for the patents.  They aren't trolls.   Large U.S. corporations are to blame for the high cost of patent litigation.  Instead...
Couldn't agree more
I understand that iWork probably can't break into the enterprise market.  However, since Apple is making a product, why don't they make it suitable for business.  It just seems odd to me that Apple would purposely keep selling an inferior product.  It isn't that iWork is a bad product...it is an incomplete product.  Why won't Apple finish it off?  Give us features like reviewing and compare documents and better paragraph numbering...etc.   They've got 100 billion...
Great, because I have no plans to buy Office 2013.
Ouch!!!!  That's a quip to remember. BTW, isn't the Big Bang Theory the funniest TV show ever produced?   Very true.  I've often debated why Apple won't make a real Office Suite.  Look at the current situation.  Apple hasn't upgraded iWork in any significant manner since 2009.  The question is "why".  Apple isn't stupid.  It recognizes that people want them to make a competitive office suite.  Obviously Apple is choosing not to compete.      I've thought of many possible...
What you fail to consider is how easy Apple made it for software developers to write software for the iPad and iPhone.  That has resulted in a drastic reduction in cost in software for the iPad and iPhone.  Apps cost $1-$5 instead of $50-$300 like OS-X and Windows apps.  Apple is succeeding in training a whole generation of new programmers.  And, the limitations of iOS are diminishing every year.  With Apple's upgrade cycle, there is no reason why Apple can't keep its...
Very true.  I've often debated why Apple won't make a real Office Suite.  Look at the current situation.  Apple hasn't upgraded iWork in any significant manner since 2009.  The question is "why".  Apple isn't stupid.  It recognizes that people want them to make a competitive office suite.  Obviously Apple is choosing not to compete.      I've thought of many possible reasons, but the one that makes the most sense to me is that Apple doesn't want or can't get Microsoft's...
Well done on the Xbox analysis.  With regard to declining PC revenues, I would add that even if MS doesn't lower their price, there will be declining profits.  From a performance standpoint, there just isn't a compelling reason to spend money on new computers.  The upgrade cycle for desktops is going to stretch out to 5 years and beyond.   
If the recent rumors are correct, we are going to find out if Amazon can break into the smartphone market sooner than any legislation could be passed to require sales tax.  I also think Amazon did a better job than anyone else in the tablet market of creating a reason for user's to buy their device.  MS and Google just throw up some hardware specs and say "buy me because I'm for sale."  Amazon is creating an ecosystem and has the customers to do it.   Don't get me wrong,...