or Connect

Posts by ash471

It really isn't clear why AAPL is behaving the way it is. Personally I think the biggest problem with AAPL is its market cap. Large institutions can only have so much of single stock because of the principles of diversification. Take for example that the NASDAQ 100 index had to readjust its weighting of AAPL earlier this year to bring it down to 20%. Let me say that again "down to 20%". Do you see the problem? AAPL is making such a large percentage of the profits in...
You are only half right. Most companies, including AAPL have stock that is "on the shelf" and can be used by the company at any time to serve its own purposes. For example, shelf stock is often used to compensate management for doing a good job. And yes, the stock price will have a direct impact on how the recipients of this stock are motivated to stay with the company or wait out the period of time necessary for the stock to vest. If you subscribe to the theory that a...
Couldn't agree more. The poster that was complaining about financial news on an Apple fanboy site must not realize that many of us here own substantial amounts of Apple stock (in my case tens of thousands of dollars and I'm sure there are others with hundreds of thousands or more). I read this website as an indicator of the market segment and AAPL in particular. I already know most of the information in the article, but it is certainly an appropriate and good article...
LOL. That's how they do it in China.
Everyone keeps talking about ridiculous tax breaks. Please tell us what those ridiculous tax breaks are. If property taxes were reduced in this small town, it looks like it worked out for them. Oh and by the way, have you been to China lately? I was there in April. I can assure you that the Chinese Central government is all about ridiculous tax breaks to spur local growth. If anything the U.S. needs more of these "ridiculous tax breaks" if we want to keep jobs in the...
I think Amazon Fire has the best shot. Amazon has two things going for it: (i) price and (ii) content. Consumers respond very well to price. $300 is so much cheaper it will absolutely have an impact on the ability to compete. It doesn't matter that the device is inferior, there is a huge percentage of the market that will find it to be good enough or that just simply can't afford the more expensive device. The second item, content, is also critical. Content is...
Duh...of course LED is thicker and uses more power than OLED. No need to be upset. Current OLED technology sucks. You can't see anything in direct sunlight. If the brightness is turned up, the OLED polymers get bleached out. OLED may be a reality someday, but for now it sucks. The new IZGO panels will be exciting because they will reduce power consumption and thickness with improved performance.
I think the high resolution will be a very important component of the success of the iPad 3. Super resolution is one of those things that people don't realize how much they will enjoy or how hard it is to actually do. The hard part is getting software developers to use the resolution. Apple solves this problem by doubling the resolution rather than incremental increases. High resolution will certainly be an important factor for locking up the Chinese market. Have...
You are missing the point. I think futuristic toys should be developed. I just don't think the Google play room is the right place for it to develop. To keep with your World War II era analogy, no I don't think it would have been very helpful for a bunch of succssul 1940s entreprenuers to sit around brainstorming how to make the world wide web. The world wide web was hatched at the right time and the right place from people working on real products that needed another...
I think a dedicated lab to making futuristic gagets is a waste of resources. If Sergy Brin wants to dabble in the unknown, he should use his own money, not shareholder's money. It doesn't matter if it isn't a very big percentage of revenue. The principle of waste not want not is more important. I think that companies should take risks when making products. However, the innovation should happen within the realm of a product that the company intends to market and...