or Connect

Posts by ash471

MS didn't get caught with their pants down.  MS tried for a decade to get in the consumer market.  What about MS Zune? Windows Mobile Phone? Windows tablets?  MS tried and failed at these and many other consumer projects over more than a decade and billions of R&D.   100% of the success of MS is from corporate IT departments.  These people are rabid MS fans and can't fathom anything else. Unfortunately, in the 90s, businesses bought the majority of computers.  Consumers...
You are correct that MS problems are marketing.  I would also add distribution to their list of problems.  MS is going to find out that tablets don't sell well through Dell and HP.  The surface will end up on a shelf at Best Buy next to the iPad and it will look like a piece of crap.  Corporate users, who could benefit most from the Surface's MS Office suite, don't make impulsive computer purchases at Best Buy.  MS won't reach the critical mass it needs to get into other...
Wow, I didn't know there was anyone in the computer industry that actually supported intellectual property rights.   Good for you!
I disagree. Combining a touch pad with a PC is fundamentally flawed.  A touch pad is optimized for consuming content, not creating it.  It needs to be as light a possible, have as much battery life as possible and provide as much screen area and resolution as possible.  Adding keyboards and CPU power for doing desktop work will force compromises.   The kickstand exemplifies the problem.  It detracts from the touch pad experience and doesn't come close to providing the...
Short sighted?  Did you read post 114?  The premise of my argument is that Microsoft doesn't have a suitable marketing strategy. MS sells its wares through Dell, HP, and Acer.  I assume none of them will sell the Surface.  So where is MS going to sell this thing?  If MS sells to retailers like Best Buy, it will be targeting a consumer market, yet the most attractive feature of the device is that it runs full versions of MS Office and has a powerful processor (i.e.,...
I don't need to wait.  The product isn't the problem...the business strategy is the problem (see my post 114).  They have an enterprise device that at best will be sold through consumer channels (if at all).  There is no way in hell Microsoft can compete with iPad from a manufacturing, marketing, and distribution standpoint.  It will be about as successful as a 12 year old selling warm beer at a lemonade stand.    Sorry, but the business strategy is screwed up.  I don't...
LOL, this is a fine piece of commenting.  Seriously you made me laugh out loud three times.  You get one LOL for the "HP flew the TouchPad straight into the ground." Another LOL for "some people will not be happy with a tblet unless it requires antivirus scanners....".  However, the loudest LOL comes from the statement, "no wonder there's a keyboard in the cover: how else are you going to get this 'tablet' to boot into safe mode when you can't press f8".  That shit is...
Exactly.  The downfall won't be the keyboard cover or the OS.  It will be pricing and distribution.  Microsoft doesn't have the partners and connections or high volume to get good deals on manufacturing.  More importantly, they have no way to market the device to the most likely buyers (i.e., enterprise users). I don't think Dell and HP are going to be pushing these devices.  Does MS really think corporate IT departments are going to reverse their policies about allowing...
Very good point.  The article was flawed from the beginning. It is a tough job to determine the validity and infringement of a patent.  It costs tens of thousands just to understand the technology, prior art, and patent well enough to say something intelligent about validity and infringement.  That means anyone can say anything they want.     Patent litigation is often a fight between big and small.  Small companies and individuals are often the ones that invent and end...
Ya'll got some free legal advice today.  Do me a favor and stop beating up on the patent office so much.  They know more than you think.