or Connect

Posts by ash471

Well done on the Xbox analysis.  With regard to declining PC revenues, I would add that even if MS doesn't lower their price, there will be declining profits.  From a performance standpoint, there just isn't a compelling reason to spend money on new computers.  The upgrade cycle for desktops is going to stretch out to 5 years and beyond.   
If the recent rumors are correct, we are going to find out if Amazon can break into the smartphone market sooner than any legislation could be passed to require sales tax.  I also think Amazon did a better job than anyone else in the tablet market of creating a reason for user's to buy their device.  MS and Google just throw up some hardware specs and say "buy me because I'm for sale."  Amazon is creating an ecosystem and has the customers to do it.   Don't get me wrong,...
Read the patent claims.  This patent isn't going to stop anyone from selling products.  The claims are simply too narrow to have any effect.
  With regards to "patent trolling"... anyone who thinks a patent owner shouldn't enforce his or her patent can go F!*# themselves.  It takes a lot of work to get a patent (like $20,000 worth of work).  Why in the world would a patent owner not ask to be compensated when someone infringes a patent?  Nobody is making a company go out and sell new products that infringe patents.  If a company isn't willing to pay a reasonable royalty to patent holders, it should just keep...
I don't know how many times I've posted on the website......THE PATENT IS DEFINED BY THE CLAIMS.  Apple could have published a big smiley face in the disclosure and it wouldn't matter.  The patent only protects what is claimed.  If you take the time to read claim 1, you will see that this patent is anything but "broad".       
This patent doesn't appear to be very broad.  Claim 1 requires retrieving a photograph from the mobile device and verifying the user's identity using the photograph.  This patent is nothing to write home about.  I haven't seen a boarding pass app that even uses this technology.  Since Apple has a patent on this, I assume others won't bother implementing it.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Lenovo sells a lot of low margin devices in Asia.  It doesn't do much good to have 50B in revenue if you only make 50M in profit.  PCs will soon be a commodity like corn.  HP recognized this problem and considered selling its PC division a year ago (note that it is the world leader).  It isn't very exciting to be a PC vendor these days.  
  The iPad is the elephant in the room.  MS isn't going to die tomorrow, but 5% decline every year will eventually lead to death.  Microsoft will either change its business model or be irrelevant in 10 years.  I'm tempted to blame MS's future failure on ego and bureaucracy.  However, maybe there really isn't anything that MS can do.  The MS business model uses corporate IT departments and compatibility with MS Office to strong arm the rest of the world into using Windows....
You and MS just don't get the tablet market.  95% of us don't want or need to use it as an input device.  When I go on trips I take my iPad and my MacBook Air.  Some things are just better viewed and navigated on a touch screen and some things are better created with a laptop.  The reason the market will not adopt the Surface is because the keyboard and the screen need to be connected with a swivel so you can change the angle of the screen depending on what you are doing....
MS didn't get caught with their pants down.  MS tried for a decade to get in the consumer market.  What about MS Zune? Windows Mobile Phone? Windows tablets?  MS tried and failed at these and many other consumer projects over more than a decade and billions of R&D.   100% of the success of MS is from corporate IT departments.  These people are rabid MS fans and can't fathom anything else. Unfortunately, in the 90s, businesses bought the majority of computers.  Consumers...