or Connect

Posts by ash471

Nice....LOL   My distain for MS products comes from using Vista.  About once or twice a month my computer screen would start flashing and 5 seconds latter the screen would turn blue and then text would appear that said "Dumping RAM" and then the computer would crash.  I scoured the internet for solutions and hounded my IT guys, but nothing worked.  Eventually I figured out that if I hit control save in the 5 seconds before the RAM got dumped my work would get saved and I...
I wasn't using "upgrading" as a joke and it doesn't make me feel better or clever to use it.  The fact is, many people that switch to Mac call it an "upgrade".    I think it has caught on because of its accuracy in meaning.  The word "upgrade" connotes an improvement (i.e., a grade above), which is exactly what switching from Windoze to Mac is.  It has nothing to do with "fandom" or being a "fresh convert" or "abhorrence of Windows".  The word "upgrade" is simply a...
You are exactly right.  The management at my company is like 50-65 years old and they just don't have any experience with tinkering in the computer arts.  They have no experience setting up their own networks, setting up a RAID, setting up a home server, etc.  When it comes to IT, they give total control to the IT guy who has them fooled into thinking he is necessary and competent.  I am by no means a computer guy.  My training is in chemistry.  However, there are plenty...
Who made you the arbiter of lexicography? It is perfectly fine for me and others in this forum to metaphorically refer to "upgrading to OSX" when we toss a PC and buy a Mac.  I saw your earlier posts and despite your comments I intentionally chose the word "upgrade."   I and others on this forum know what that means in this context.  At the end of the day, language is a means of communicating.  Adapting words to new situations is quite useful and is the reason there are...
The vulnerability of Windows XP is was what made it successful. Everyone needed anti-virus software and an IT department to deploy it.  From Windows XP was  born the modern IT department where fear drives everything and avoiding catastrophic infections was the ultimate objective of their existence.  There was a band-aid to fix everything and all the band-aids created a fragile system that requires an army of IT people.  If anything went wrong, the IT department could...
Agreed.  For example, I have a 2002 Dell with XP running a Shimadzu high performance liquid chromatography system.  The Shimadzu HPLC requires Windoze and a 32 pin serial connector.  I didn't want to buy a new computer so I just used my old Dell.  To make it run faster, I don't have anti-virus software running.  To avoid getting viruses, I don't connect it to a network.  I know others that have a similar setup.   By the way, if anyone is interested in writing OSX...
I was an early adopter of Vista and I upgraded to OSX.  I was so pissed at Vista I swore I would never buy or use a MS product unless forced to do so.  I buy my own computers for work.  I have a MBA and thunderbolt display.  Works great. The HP computer provided by my corporate IT is sitting in the corner of my office collecting dust.  One of my co-workers decided to copy my setup last month with the 2012 MBA and a thunderbolt display.  The 2012 MBA handles the larger...
I actually have a 5 year old Mac Pro running Mountain Lion.  A year ago I upgraded the boot drive to a flash drive.  With the flash drive It feels about the same speed as my 2011 Mac Book Air.  The only difference is that it weighs about 80 pounds instead of 2.
LOL! Nice one
Agreed.  If anything the barriers to making a clean break from Windows is the challenge.  People want into Apple, not out.  If corporate IT departments gave people a choice, it would be game over for MS.