or Connect

Posts by ash471

Let me help you out here. You are correct, the claims require two gestures using a different number of fingers. None of the claims cover just single finger scrolling of a frame. And yes, I'm a patent attorney. This question is so simple there is no way the Supreme Court would grant cert.Whether the claim is broad or narrow is in the eye of the beholder. If the consumer wants a user interface that provides different scrolling functionalities using a different number of...
If Apple sues and wins and wants to get a permanent injunction they will easily get one because Apple is selling in the market. Permanent injunctions use to be automatic and are still the norm. The compulsory license is a recent invention and is only relevant in cases where the patentee is not a market participant (e.g., the so-called alleged "troll"). In fact, if Apple were to get really aggressive, they might be able to get a "preliminary injunction". These are...
I suspect the plan was to collect from Apple all along. Why would Lodsys want to have to sue and then collect ongoing royalties from tens of thousands of individual developers, many of which are marginally solvent. That's crazy. No, Lodsys is after Apple and Google, but they can't sue them directly because they have a license. Apple doesn't want to litigate this. What if they lose the lawsuit and can't do in-app purchases? Talk to a patent lawyer and they will tell...
Well I've read it, or at least the claims section, which is the relevant part. And no, it is not well drafted. In fact, it is a POS patent. These kinds of patents are often the best to litigate because no one has any idea what it means, which means the patentee can say it means whatever they want to. Apple almost certainly did not analyze this patent when they took a license. Only the patent owner could concoct the idea that this patent was meant to cover in-app...
What? You need to learn to read. I don't have rose tinted glasses. Go read my post again and pay attention to the fact that I didn't disparage Android at all. I said Android is the OS of choice for pieces of shit hardware. The statement has nothing to do with whether Android is a good OS or whether there is good hardware running Android. My point was that there is a market for POS devices and Android will always have that market because the OS is free. Apple refuses...
Nothing Apple could do would kill Android. Apple produces products for the mid level and high end markets. It makes no attempt to compete in the market for piece of shit devices. Android is free. It will always be the OS of choice for POS devices. A lot of people think Apple killed Symbian. I would argue that Google did. Some people were surprised when Nokia joined with Microsoft instead of Google. It didn't surprise me at all. I think Nokia recognized who their...
If Apple is serious about iCloud, your personal widgets settings should be synced between iPad, iPhone, and OS X devices (but of course customizable for a particular device). I predict we will start to see a lot of things between iOS and OSX look alike and be synced. What makes the iPad and iPhone so successful in business is Active Sync. Without it, Apple wouldn't be selling anything in the corporate realm. Moving to the cloud is all about having your information...
I agree. And with the file management they also need a micro SD card slot in future versions of iPad. I've often wanted to transfer large files with collegues and I don't want to go through a network. Also, storage for video and photos and the ability to transfer those videos and photos easily would be nice. Apple could make it operate like an external drive and not allow itunes to play music or videos from it. An SD slot is so useful, Apple should figure out how to...
Whether anyone switches will depend on whether the OS actually works as advertised on real hardware. The Mango OS looks pretty sweet, but so did Vista when it was announced. Microsoft has such a spotty past, I wouldn't dare predict how good this OS will be until we have the chance to use it in the real world. The question is, will Mango be a "Vista" or a "Windows 7"? As for the "cool new features" I doubt they will be a compelling reason to buy a Mango powered phone. ...
There is no reason to start off by suing Apple. Apple probably has the resources to crush the patent holder, regardless of the merits of the case. These guys want a quick settlement. The way you do that is harass the Apple developers who have almost no resources to fight a patent lawsuit. My guess is that many of these developers would be better off getting a default judgement against them and filing bankruptcy rather than fight a patent infringement suit. Of course...