or Connect

Posts by ash471

What? What does Saudi Aramco's size have to do with Apple's doom? You make zero sense. Besides, what do you know about Saudi Aramco? First of all, the Saudi government formed Aramco by nationalizing western oil operations in Saudi Arabia. This hardly the kind of thing that bears any indication on the size or success of Apple. You might as well argue that Apple is doomed because the moon is bigger than the state of California......so what.
Why would anyone pay $50/month to tether? I bought a t-mobile 4G hotspot that gives me 2GB of data for $20/month and I can use it for my iPad, macbook air, iPhone, and iPod Touch. And I get a separate battery so it doesn't drain my phone. Real world download speeds are 8 Mb/sec, which is almost as good as my home DSL line. Anyone paying ATT for more data than they have to to get the phone is getting screwed.
Intel and Microsoft have the same problem Kodak had back in the 80s. It is really hard to let a new segment of the company destroy the part of the company that is currently generating all the revenue. Kodak knew the digital camera was coming. In fact, Kodak was one of the first to build and market a digital camera. What made Kodak fail was their inability to compete with themselves. Microsoft and Intel have this same problem. You have to be forward thinking and...
I find it puzzling that so many people still argue that Apple sells overpriced products. Why is it that others trying to compete with Apple in the 10 inch tablet market and the ultrabook market can't seem to compete on price? Apple may not sell $300 laptops, but that is because Apple doesn't care to sell a piece of shit computer. That doesn't make Apple's products over-priced....it means Apple doesn't sell shitty products.
You may be right, which is why I paused to think. However, the link you provided doesn't answer the question. It only discusses that harder materials scratch softer materials. We all know that. The question is whether a softer material can scratch a harder material. For example, can a sharp soft material scratch the planar surface of a harder material. Clearly at some amount of force it can. At the point of atom bombardment, soft materials can clearly scratch a...
The first iPhone I bought I dropped it face down from about 18 inches while getting out of my car. It hit a rock and shattered the whole face. I had only had the phone 3 days. The Apple employee felt bad for me and replaced it for free (I buy a lot of apple products from the same apple store). It occured to me a case wouldn't have prevented that damage. I don't use a case because it helps remind me to take care of the phone. The only people I know that have dropped...
Of course there are many companies that have profited greatly from Apple's success. Any good business person knows that you have to leave something on the table for someone else if you want to get business done. However, Apple's negotiating position is why Apple makes a lot more money than any of its partners.
Exactly. And that is also why Corning is catering to the "PC crowd" by saying they will be the first laptops to get Gorilla Glass. I'm sure the reference to laptops isn't a coincidence. This probably has to do with the fact that new Apple laptops are scheduled to ship until after the PC laptops. My guess is the new iPad will be the first product to have Gorilla Glass 2. However, it wouldn't make any sense for Corning to tout that at CES.
You raise an interesting point. Can a material with a hardens of 6 scratch a material with a hardness of 7? I had to pause and think about this. However, I think it can. It depends on several different factors like the geometry of the contact surfaces and the force applied. An easy example that shows you don't have to have a harder material to etch a surface is the fact that steel can be cut with a high pressure water stream. Water has a hardness of 0 on the mohs scale.
umm.....don't put your keys in the same pocket as your phone. Even my slate floor in my entryway will scratch if I took a key and etched the stone. Gorilla glass isn't diamond, but that doesn't make it fragile. Everyone should know that you don't put your keys in the same pocket as your phone, just like you don't throw rocks at your iPhone. I've had three iPhones now and I don't use a case and I don't have any significant scratches on any of my phones.