or Connect

Posts by ash471

How is it revenge? MS wrote it. I think Gatorguy's nailed it. The edits serve MS's current purposes. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if MS planted the story. Emotions can change rather quickly when a new common enemy enters the fray. Everyone is ganging up on Google because Google has the largest market share and is an easy target. This reminds me of the game Settlers of Catan. Without fail, half way into the game someone will appear too powerful. That person NEVER...
Nice Gatorguy. You can pat yourself on the back for that.
I'm not sure I agree. If Google ends up paying a per handset licensing royalty and they have 38% of the market but 36% of that market is crappy handsets, Google ends up paying the lions share of the royalties on handsets that make no money. By starting a patent war, Apple killed the free software market. The only reason Google has 38% of the market is because they were giving away Apple knock off software for free. Now that they can't give it away for free, they need a...
Actually, the Kearns situation doesn't happen today because we now have a market for these types of patents. The patents get bought up and enforced by "non-practicing entities" (aka patent trolls). I like the more descriptive term "patent litigation investors" rather than Trolls. Everyone thinks trolls are evil. However, I think they are a necessary evil created by a more evil and sinister corporate America that tried to subvert the patent system. On several...
Palm was one of the first companies working in this space. I recall seeing a Palm patent that covered using a light sensor to dim a screen. I don't know whether Apple has a license or not, but that gives you an idea of the firepower that might exist in the HP portfolio. Google on the other hand has a pile of patents related to snooping around in people's emails.
Very true that RIM has plenty of cash on hand. However, they don't have the ability to spend it in a way that will give them an advantage in the market (Maybe they could partner with someone????). Cash is important, but it can't solve everything. Warren Buffet has more cash than RIM, but no one thinks he could win the mobile computing war. If a company doesn't have the right people, the right skills, and the right connections, they won't succeed. RIM's business has so...
I don't disagree that QNX could be a good product. The problem with RIM is that phones and tablets and laptops are converging with regard to their software and hardware. RIM already exploited there niche (push email) and their niche is evaporating quickly. RIM has no distribution channels outside of phones and no real ties to anyone else that does. They have no experience making PCs and they are laying people off. They don't have a chance. The only question is how...
Very interesting. I think you're right, HP could be the strongest competitor.
RIM doesn't have a spot in anything and certainly not the Enterprise market. No business person is going to buy a tablet that doesn't have push email. Seriously, RIM's device was dead on arrival. I agree, HP is positioned to compete with Apple, but will get beat up from the bottom (i.e., Android malware).
I think Apple took a hit on profitability in the hopes that they could make it up on volume. The winners in the PC wars were the volume sellers. I think Apple decided to try it with the iPad. Volume pricing is a really hard thing to do with a high end product and even harder with an allegedly new category of product. Volume pricing is usually a strategy to take with an established market starting with the bottom up. The reason Apple was succesful is because they knew...