or Connect

Posts by ash471

What makes everyone think that creating Word documents is the definition of a personal computer.  The iPhone can create all kinds of content.  Calendar entries, pictures, videos, emails, texts, tweets, social network entries, video game play, etc.  Why does all this content have to take a back seat to Word and Excel spreadsheets?  I think the content created on an iPhone or iPad creates more value to its user in terms of enjoyment than Word and Excel spreadsheets. Your...
Netbooks were just used for internet browsing. So why were they computers and an iPhone isn't? If anything, the iPhone and iPad gets used more than a netbook because the iPhone has millions of programs that are used for more than just browsing the internet.   The naysayers are defining a real computer as "a device that is used to create word documents."   That's an asinine definition. I use my iPhone and iPad to do just about everything except create word documents, which...
No, it is a fair comparison. Internet data shows that iOS users actually use their devices as real computers. (Like me writing this post on an iPhone). The evidence suggest otherwise for Samdung devices.
Says who? In fact, the comparison is even more appropriate than this article suggests since Apple sells all those devices by itself and Microsoft has legions of othe companies designing and selling computers
Depends on how much they have to pay for each panel. I'm sure the $578m is prepayment on build out of the facility, not COGS
Again, what you are failing to understand is that the handset market WILL get commoditized. When that happens, extracting value from services will be the name of the game.   If Apple doesn't drop its prices it will dwindle to extinction.  I will bet you any amount of money that phones will not cost $650 dollars (inflation adjusted) in 10-20 years from now.  If Apple charges $650 it will have about as much market share as the ball point pen manufacturers selling $300 pens...
The computer market is not like auctioneering services.  The computer market is going to be commoditized. Any fool can see that.  Apple has done a nice job of delaying the commoditization and extracting value.  It has been a great strategy, but it is time to change. The long term play in handsets is services.  You can't dominate services unless you have a platform.  You can't have a platform if you only sell to the high end of the market.  I'm not saying Apple needs a...
Unfortunately you are wrong. A Samdung galaxy whatever is a substitute for an iPhone. If a user picks a Samdung they don't pick an iPhone. That isn't true for choosing between the Super Bowl and the rose bowl. Those are different markets and you know it. To keep with the analogy, the enterprise server market is like the rose bowl. Apple doesn't have to compete there if it doesn't wasn't to.If Apple doesn't compete in the handset market, the low end and mid tier will erode...
Are you fucking kidding me? You think the mobile phone market could be like the iPod market? Want to place any bets on that? I predict the mobile phone market is going to be like the indoor flushing toilet... It's here to stay FOREVER.Everyone has a mouth and an ear and they run them more frequently than their urethra, which is serviced by the toilet.And I agree Apple's next big money maker is probably a service. However, they need to use their pile of cash and great...
No I'm not expecting a new product. I think that idea is horse shit. Apple needs to grow its platform. Start competing more on price and take market share. Yes that hits margin, but Apple can make up for it on services. It will sell more software and apps.A bigger platform would allow it to dominate the mobile payment landscape. Hell, Apple could be a bank with its cash pile. It can't dominate mobile payments if it becomes a niche product.Apple should be acquiring more and...