or Connect

Posts by ash471

This whole discussion about conflicts of interest with Google is ridiculous. The previous Director (David Kappos) came from IBM.  IBM has a bigger portfolio than Google.  It wasn't a problem then.  David Kappos was a way better director than the one before him (Dudas) who was a life-long USPTO employee.You need to understand the prestige of being appointed to this position?  Trust me, she isn't thinking about getting a stupid Google patent issued.  She's thinking, what am...
Of course most patents cover ideas that a qualified engineer could think of.  If a qualified engineer can't do it, then who can?  Our patent system would be seriously fucked up if we had a standard that only allowed patents for ideas that no qualified engineer could think of.  There would be like 5 patents a year.  The point of the patent system is not to reward people for inventing things that no one else is capable of inventing.  It rewards people for being first to...
She won't have any influence on an individual case. Anyone that works in management knows that you don't interfere with the work of individuals three layers down. What is more important is her personal views on the importance of patents and whether she can hire good people and implement policies that will result in more and better patents. The best thing she could do is ignore the current debate on "Patent Trolls". Playing politics will F up the patent system. The...
Intellectual Ventures actually works closely with Google, MS, and other big companies to help them acquire patents cheaply from inventors.  Intellectual Ventures is just a tool to do work for big companies (i.e., big companies have outsourced their dirty work).    The scam is really on the individual inventors who end up getting very little for their technology.  The tech world is being duped by big companies into thinking they are the victims when they are really the...
What happened to the Apple that built high quality products with minimal functionality and then added the non-essential features over time? Apple's iWork project is being run like an Android or Microsoft project.  They're starting with fancy features at the expense of basic functionality.  Who is the idiot running iWork development? We've been waiting for almost a decade for Apple to pay attention to iWork and now that they are finally putting resources into it, they...
Exactly.  collaboration is completely worthless if the software is missing basic functionality.  For example, I need paragraph numbering, which can't be done in Pages.  Collaborating is completely worthless for me since I can't create a document to collaborate with. 
Tallest Skil is correct.  However, the important thing to know is that the more complex the drawing the more appropriate a bit map is.  If you are creating a logo, which generally is made of simple geometric shapes, you should create it using vector software (iDraw or illustrator).  If you want to edit a face or a natural landscape (very complex), you take a picture (bit map) and modify the pixels using Pixelmator.  Vector drawings are better at scaling but bit maps are...
I think it would be cool to help Pixelmator design around or invalidate Adobe patents. Is anyone aware of Adobe patents that might cause Pixelmator problems?  If so post them.  I'll take a look.  Everyone is always complaining about patents from individual inventors.  Personally I think some of the worst patents are owned by big companies like Adobe.  I think it would be fun to mess with Adobe.  We could do something like dig up prior art and then file a re-exam.  
Actually it isn't odd. Word processing is by its very nature a platform software.  I'm forced to use Word because I can't do paragraph numbering in Pages.  When my 13 year old writes a school paper, he uses Word because that is what I can help him with. It is infuriating that Apple won't add some very simple features to Word to make it usable. There are tens of millions of people that need paragraph numbering.  
Good point.  I sand corrected.  How about "advanced users".  However, the real source of the problem are the people that say iWork isn't for "power user."  The "advanced users" aren't asking for "power user" features.  They are asking for very basic features.  Like with me, I need paragraph numbering.  Pages will do bullets and lists, but not a paragraph number.  (paragraph numbering requires the second line to be left justified, which can't be done in Pages).  I me...