or Connect

Posts by ash471

Here is the most succinct way to explain this: The Aereo system allows an individual to record their own copy of a tv show using a rented antenna and hard drive. When you play the TV show it is your recording and you only play it to yourself, therefore it is not a "public" broadcast. The copyright laws purposely didn't cover transmissions from your own antenna to yourself or else everyone watching TV from a house antenna would be infringing. This isn't just a technicality....
Yes they have separate antennas. I think they are smaller than a dime. If I remember correctly they achieved that small size by tuning the antenna to a specific frequency. They had a bunch of patent applications publish in 2012. You can read all about how they do it. The second circuit opinion explains it all.
It makes perfect sense. Read the second circuit opinion. The rationale is that an individual has the right to put out an antenna and record the stream and play it back later. The person should be able to rent the antenna and recorder. The 1970s legislation on broadcasting specifically addressed the arbitrary distinction between one person doing it themselves and a company doing it. If the rebroadcast is to ones self, it doesn't infringe. That is why Aereo has thousands of...
Cook is absolutely correct that the cost of litigation is the real problem in patent law. It raises the price of patents which raises the stakes so high that only the wealthy can participate. The large non-innovative companies are clearly the source of the problem. They are the ones that rip off IP and then pay an ARMY of lawyers to build a litigation wall. The courts try the best they can, but the resources are so lopsided it is a lost cause. The licensing companies are...
I have a Blu Ray player and watch them regularly on an HDTV.  Red Box is almost always out of Blu Ray before DVD. That said, why does it matter if the iMac has a Blu Ray drive? I rarely used my DVD drive in my 2000 Dell computer.  I have a 2008 Mac Pro with a DVD drive and I use it like every other year.   It makes perfect sense to take the optical drive out and let the few people need one to attach an external drive. An external is actually better because you can share...
Vista was garbage, but windows 7 is good. I assume 8 is on par with 7. However, I think MS's problem is windows upgrades are irrelevant. Nobody gives a shit. I only use windoz because my IT guy built our firm's data structures around it. Apple OSX is superior for about 90% of the tasks performed on a laptop for probably 90% of the population. If it weren't for Word and the installed base, windows would have single digit market share.
My 2011 MBA has a hard time running a Thunderbolt Display without cranking up the fan. I've found that I have to avoid flash and MS outlook if I have other apps running. Also my battery life has degraded some. Nevertheless, I'm holding out until next year. I'm banking on a performance boost with Mavricks to tide me over.
Looks like you've been many places other than Asia. I've been to Asia and work with Asian associates regularly. They're nice people. However, the culture is waaaaaaaay different than Europe or U.S. And yes, cheating in business is much more acceptable in Asia. In China it's often expected. To avoid getting screwed, you need a personal relationship.Samsung's recent altercation of obtaining evidence under a protective order would be unthinkable to a large US company....
Exactly, it needs to be enterprise worthy. It need better paragraph numbering and markup.I've often wondered if Apple has lingering contractual restraints for the deal Steve Jobs made with MS in the late 90s.Another strategy would be to buy an engineering platform like Solidworks and/or autoCAD
 That gets the post of the day....LOL.