or Connect

Posts by Cpsro

What work? he's accomplished diddly.
Bromwich is clearly over his head and charging far too much money for his "services", since he's unable to get the access he says he wants.
Whether Apple helped or not, the NSA required physical access. As for Android, I'm sure the NSA doesn't need physical access. Android is like Windows--designed and built for malware and surreptitious monitoring.
As depicted in the film at least, the story is tedious, ponderous, and for the most part pointless.
Fanboys can be strange and myopic. I am an Apple zealot extraordinaire, but I don't let that get in the way of expressing my needs and disappointment in the direction the Mac Pro has been taken. Sorry, folks!   Repeating... I don't need or want GPUs (at least at this time), hence the lack of GPUs in my custom configured linux system which has twice the performance (where I need it) compared to the least-expensive 12-core Mac Pro and for about the same price. I could have...
The least-expensive 12-core Mac Pro is $6,499 plus tax. Dual E5-2697 v2 processors with dual-processor SuperMicro motherboard can be had from newegg for $5500. That leaves $1K for additional components, including two CPU cooling fans, a case, a high quality power supply, and a cheap graphics card. Edit: oops, I forgot to consider the cost of linux. Edit 2: even if it winds up being a little more expensive than the least-expensive 12-core Mac Pro, Apple doesn't offer...
What I'm likely to do is skip the Mac Dysan, use my MBP for a graphics workstation (with dual external monitors) and build a dual-processor (24-core) compute server (linux) for about the same money as the least-expensive 12-core Mac Pro, then add 128 GB RAM for another couple grand (or 256 GB if I can find another two grand). I can always add one or more GPUs later as needed. Much of this will be funded by retiring old Mac Pros that Apple refuses to support any...

Scientific compute servers (from Sun, HP and Dell) have supported 256 GB and more for over 10 years (albeit at a hefty price). In 2013, a fully redesigned Mac Pro handles only 64 GB--just double that of a 2006 Mac Pro. For professionals who don't need graphics computation, it would have been far better to include a second processor to reach 24 cores (48 hyperthreads) and more DIMM slots, while ditching the superfluous second graphics card. As indicated above, I for one am...
4 DIMM slots in a $10K computer is ridiculous. Tell me how to fit more than 64 GB in this Dysan today without emptying one's retirement account.Limiting a dual-processor-capable CPU to just one CPU is ridiculous.This thing should have an option to ditch a graphics card for a second CPU and 4 more DIMM slots.