or Connect

Posts by bsimpsen

The best solution depends on the individual, but in general, tilting the keyboard up at the back increases stress on the carpal tunnel. So one might expect this product to cause or exacerbate that condition. Splitting the keyboard and raising the center at the G-H split brings the hand's pronation more into alignment with the rest position. That's clearly not an option for a laptop, but flat layout of laptop keys is better than most desktop keyboards, which tilt the wrong...
Are you sure the "improvement" in typing ergonomics isn't placebo effect? Tilting a keyboard up in the back is not an ergonomic improvement. Let your arms hang at your sides, relax, and note the position of your hands. To maintain that same rested position while typing, the front of the keyboard should be a little higher than the rear, opposite "conventional wisdom". Look at Microsoft's "Natural Ergonomic Keyboard" which comes with a lift for the front of the keyboard....
Google "liquid metal electrical conductivity" for proof that radio-transparency is a myth. Liquid metal is prized for its electrical conductivity.
As chadbag reveals, 1704x906 is a typo. To retain the HD aspect ratio of the iPhone 5/5c/5s, you'd need 1704x960. Someone swapped the last two digits.
You'd be surprised how much silica/mineral grit ends up in your pockets, even if you never visit a beach. If you drive on the freeway with a window open, it's blowing into your car, and onto the iPhone on your passenger seat. Drop your keys on a wet sidewalk and you're likely to transport a little bit of grit into your pocket. Get that grit between your iPhone case and the iPhone itself and you've just created a bit of sandpaper. I don't think there's much sapphire/diamond...
"Each Foxbot can complete an average of 30,000 devices per year, meaning a release of 10,000 would theoretically yield 300,000 iPhones if tasked to that production line."   That 300,000 should be 300,000,000. But that conflicts with the later statement that Terry Gou predicted 1 million robots online by 2014 (I recall that statement from years ago). Either the Foxbots are far more capable than the robots originally mentioned by Gou, or some of the numbers in the article...
The method used to determine heart rate in the Apple video measures the instantaneous changes in reflectivity/absorption of the fingertip with each heartbeat. Even down in the capillaries, the change in blood pressure over each beat of the heart causes a measurable change in the absorption spectrum. This method used on exercise equipment and purpose built heart rate meters using only a red LED, a single photodetector and some simple, mostly analog circuitry. The change in...
Anyone doubting the difficulty of doing baseband (for technical and legal reasons) need only look to Intel to get a head-check. Even after acquiring Infineon's baseband group, Intel's baseband business is still 1/10th the size of Qualcomm's. The ratio is far worse if you narrow the focus to LTE. http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/intel-mediatek-broadcom-and-nvidia-try-catch-qualcomm-lte/2014-01-10
While this acquisition would give Apple more control over the driver technology, and eliminate one level of margin, it would not allow integration of the driver into the SOC. The number of interconnects is simply too high. LCD driver chips are generally mounted on the LCD itself. For a 640x960x3 display, you'd need a minimum of 2880 conductors leading from the SOC to the display edges. It's more space efficient to carry the video stream from the SOC to the LCD serially.
I don't think Moore's law has flatlined just yet. Speed may have hit a wall, but other aspects of processor design have gone around it. Look at Geekbench marks since 2002. My current iMac scores 6x higher than my first Intel iMac, seven years later. That's 2x every three years instead of every 18 months. That's not much worse than the benchmark improvement rate in the middle of the 90s. Transistor count growth is actually accelerating. And I designed a 200MHz StrongARM...