or Connect

Posts by bsimpsen

Unfortunately this is wrong. Perfectly elastic collisions release NO heat. The durability of a material has nothing to do with its elasticity. Tungsten carbide is much more elastic than steel, yet shatters on sufficient impact. Mar resistance is dependent on many things, including surface hardness, texture and substrate resiliency. This explains why silane coatings on polycarbonate (think scratch resistant eyewear) are more mar resistant than the highly polished stainless...
The speed with which a thing becomes ubiquitous has no effect on trademark retention. As you note, it's up to the holder to be diligent. So why is there this sudden presumption that Apple will somehow let iPad slip away, but not iPod? I suggest it's the result of fuzzy thinking on the part of one person, followed by thoughtless parroting by people wishing to appear... thoughtful.
The iPod has been out for more than a decade, has market share greater than most expect the iPad to have in eight years and the trademark is still holding. So, why is there no worry over the iPod trademark? Could it be that pundits have collectively lost either intelligence or eyeballs over the last decade and will now grasp at straws?
I haven't run mine flat yet, but I expect the charging time to increase in proportion to the battery capacity increase. Similarly, one should expect the thing to run warmer than the iPad2. The battery is 42WH compared to the iPad2's 25WH, but it lasts the same time. So the power dissipation (and therefore operating temperature) must increase.
Yes, that's how I read it.
Your patent would only prevent others from using YOUR finger on Apple devices. I think there are already sufficient legal protections in place for that.
The young lady states that we could argue that "retina display" is more about perceived image quality than specs. But as the specs are based on human visual perception, she's wrong. What you can argue about is viewing distance. Whether that argument will have any effect on sales is another issue entirely.
A first-hand account by one person which, when fact-checked by "This American Life" revealed that some of his observations did not comport with the facts. The creator of that show also did not observe and report on working conditions for farmers in South China. I certainly hope for improvements in working conditions at Foxconn, but you must remember that China is dragging itself into the 21st century from the 19th. It won't be pretty.
[QUOTE=jragosta;2029170]Patents used to have a lifetime of 17 years after issuance. This was later (1995, IIRC) changed to 20 years after application to be consistent with most of the rest of the world. I haven't followed the story, so don't know if the issue dates of the patents in question have been revealed. It's possible that patents for ideas created during the joint venture were not granted until years later (current issue latency is about three years). It's also...
If you recall Steve's introduction of retina limited viewing, he explained that the required PPI depends on the viewing distance. For the average viewing distance of an iPhone, that worked out to about 300+PPI. For the average viewing distance to an iPad, 264PPI would likely well qualify as retina limited.