or Connect

Posts by bsimpsen

For applications written in Cocoa, a Rosetta type environment wouldn't be necessary. Recompile for ARM and redeploy. Rosetta would only be required for old binaries. When Apple switched from PPC to Intel, very few applications had been written in Cocoa and so could not be retargeted easily. Times have changed.
There's something missing here. I'm sure Apple ordered far more than 5 million iPad2 batteries for the quarter. They did more than 9 million in the previous quarter.
Cue would be correct.
This continues to baffle me. But then this same "don't bother to do the math" problem, applied to something much more expensive, resulted in the housing debacle, didn't it?
This same disconnect occurred for Pixar movies. Just prior to each new release, the "experts" would remind us all that Pixar was bound to produce a dud, as the "law of reversion to mean" is unbreakable. What they failed to consider was that the law of reversion to mean doesn't actually exist.
One thing I expect Apple (and Pixar) University to do is teach management how to hire the right people. My first few professional years were spent dying in a stodgy bureaucratic large company. I finally jumped ship to a small company that felt like a family driven to do great things. The CEO hated MBAs and never hired one. He wanted people who were inspired to do great work and gave them the leeway to do so. If you screwed up you took responsibility for it, your mess was...
This is, I think, somewhat at odds with Steve's believe that what you don't do is as important as what you do. I suspect there are already numerous skunkworks projects within Apple that we never hear about, and those are carefully winnowed. Apple University has probably codified this way of doing, and not doing things. If we start seeing big changes in the way Apple is run, it may be time to head for the exit.
The iPhone 4 physical design is like nothing else on the market. It's worth keeping around and I'm glad Apple didn't release something that looked like a tiny iPad. Moving from glass and stainless steel to aluminum would, to me, be a step backwards.
Just as the iPad2 was an incremental improvement to the iPad and is doing reasonably well.
There's been a lot of case imagery floating around, some of it convincing enough for me to think the cases are real, and plentiful. This is not to say that they'll fit anything Apple will introduce, but it appears significant money has been spent to make cases for something which is clearly not an iPhone 4S.