or Connect

Posts by bsimpsen

There seems to be a presumption on the part of the person I responded to, and others, that this vulnerability is as described and that Apple must respond. In fact, the vulnerability is not as described and Apple's response would have to be a mix of addressing the true vulnerability (which is the potential bricking of batteries) and educating the masses in battery pack engineering. I expect Apple to address the vulnerability but I do not expect them to address the ignorance...
You have no idea what you are talking about. The charge control hardware in a LiPo system will not force the battery into a hazardous state even if the firmware is hacked. This is a regulated requirement for consumer products carrying US/CSA/IEC certification. If a LiPo battery were to vent, the gas would be hydrogen, which is non-toxic. You can float a LiPo cell at its rated full-charge voltage (4.2 or 4.3V depending on the chemistry) indefinitely with no harm. Apple has...
I'd blame the security guy for the wholesale manufacture of threats that don't exist. The battery cannot be made to catch fire or explode (as I explained earlier), nor is x86 code stored in/retrieved from the battery controller firmware. I do believe this is a case of Mr. Miller's ignorance and self interest getting the better of himself and a great many others.
This is completely incorrect. There is NO way for a firmware failure to cause the kinds of hazards claimed here or by Mr. Miller. The agency certifications carried by Apple products (UL/CSA/IEC) require that those products be designed and tested to the applicable safety standards. In the case of a LiPo battery pack, the charging circuits must not cause undo stress to the batteries even in the presence of a single point fault. The cells themselves must be certified against...
Margins on fuel are razor thin. How much gas must you purchase to put $200 profit in Exxon's wallet? I think Apple's latest quarterly profit exceeded Exxon's. Apple still hasn't cracked the living room and they're working to insert themselves in the Credit/Debit payment processing chain ($13T in card purchases last year) with NFC enabled iOS devices. I think there's a bit of room yet to run.
Until the necessary infrastructure and licensing agreements are in place, what can you do with NFC? I know some Google phones have it, but is anybody using it? I think the inclusion of NFC in the phone is the last piece of a big puzzle.
As Apple has filed a patent infringement suit, that means Apple has a patent. That Apple has a patent means the patent office did not think the "look and feel" in question to be too general. That said, I'm sure this argument will be brought up by Samsung's counsel.
Did it ever occur to you that iPhone can already be tracked accurately via GPS? The NFC reader technology here allows the phone to read other nearby objects, and to communicate with something like a cash register using a very close proximity link. There is nothing in this technology that takes away any more privacy than you've already lost by using a cell phone.
It's easy for a competitor to dispute Apple's claims with their own tests. And Apple would be in violation of SEC regulations if it didn't tell the truth. But conspiracy theorists will believe what they will believe.
I imagine China's Founder is long dead. Maybe a living descendant?