or Connect

Posts by Hodar

Ok, Noob ... the origional cell phones all had external antennas - yup they did. And those antennas had a RUBBER cover going the length of the antenna in the early phones, later phones used a carbon impregnated core with a plastic surround. The antenna NEVER served as the handle. Apple opted to use the antenna as a handle, as it's impossible to hold the phone without touching the antenna. Apple could have opted for a poly clear-coat, or better yet, they could have...
I bought my phone through AT&T - as the Apple website was broken for much of the release day, due to the high demand. AT&T states that they have a re-stocking fee of 10%, and the next phone is the phone I am stuck with for the remainder of my 2 yr contract. That's what I have been told. My point is that Apple delivered a product that does not function as promised. I'm demanding that they fix the problem and deliver what they advertized. My standards are consistent -...
I agree there is a certain amount of 'tweaking' that can be done. For example, we have a new TriQuint chipset - are the drivers that were origionally releaseed optimized? Do we need to put the 3G to sleep during a phone call? Re-calibration of the face detect feature is almost a given. But, the fact that the bar calculation has been used for EVERY generation of iPhone - and now, mysteriously this is the cause of all of the reception problems - that is utter BS. There...
Please point out the error, fanboi. Why do you think modern equipment has an insulator around the antenna? Hmmm, please share some of your enlightenment on why it's a 'Good' thing to have an exposed antenna. Surely, if you knew anything of which you speak, you could give one reason. So, please share with the rest of us the benefits of exposing an antenna to human touch. Feel free to use crayons, and maybe make a little constuction paper too. I'm sure Mommy has some...
The 'Average User' would not dial the code required to pull it up. We are NOT talking about an App - we are talking about a 'secret' code that a person could type in. Who cares if the average user would never use it!?! The average user will never use the Dianostics Port on your car - shall we rip that out too? The ONLY reason to remove a Diagnostic utility, is to make that data unavailable. Why would you intentionally hide data on how a phone is performing, unless you...
I share a cube with an Apple 3GS user. His phone was part of the reason that I made the switch from Verizon to AT&T. He can not only reliably make calls from my cube, he can surf the net at 3G speeds. Now, we both have about the same number of bars when the phones are lying on the desk - but when he picks his phone up, he doesn't lose service. I do.
Field testing is fine, it's a good thing to do. But, any RF Engineer knows that touching an antenna is NEVER a good thing - it introduces parasitical resistance (you can work with that) and a 10-40 pF capacitance (Very Bad). The capacitance issue is what will de-tune your antenna. This is why adding electical tape really has a minimal impact - you need distance between the antenna and your body - just a few millimeters is all it takes. Apple opted for cosmetics over RF...
Assuming that the product cost is indeed $180 as you suggest. Let's take that as the unmitigated truth. Now add the logistical costs of labor to this and you have a budget of $120/phone. Customer A goes to store, talks to AT&T employee for 15 minutes, ordering replacment, getting temporary phone - then we have yet other employees who track the replacment phone (which costs something) and the tracking that goes along with it. Now we add the logistics of new iPhones going...
This is a design defect, noob. If you have an iPhone, it works great around Mommy and Daddy's house - oh, goody for you. Now travel with it. You will soon find that your shiny new iPhone will drop calls in areas where there is not a tower around the corner. This is why it's a HARDWARE DEFECT. Guess what, if you have an iPhone - you too have the problem - you just are not smart enough to realize it yet.
Do you have a iPhone 4? If not, I suggest you STFU. You have no skin in the game; you are background chatter. Somehow, I think if you had put your money where your mouth is, you'd be singing another song. Some of us paid money for a defecive product, some of us face fines (re-stocking fees) and will then be forced to take another unwanted AT&T product for the remainder of our 2 yr committment - so having an ignorant Apple fanboi telling us to return the product is not...