or Connect

Posts by Hodar

I share a cube with an Apple 3GS user. His phone was part of the reason that I made the switch from Verizon to AT&T. He can not only reliably make calls from my cube, he can surf the net at 3G speeds. Now, we both have about the same number of bars when the phones are lying on the desk - but when he picks his phone up, he doesn't lose service. I do.
Field testing is fine, it's a good thing to do. But, any RF Engineer knows that touching an antenna is NEVER a good thing - it introduces parasitical resistance (you can work with that) and a 10-40 pF capacitance (Very Bad). The capacitance issue is what will de-tune your antenna. This is why adding electical tape really has a minimal impact - you need distance between the antenna and your body - just a few millimeters is all it takes. Apple opted for cosmetics over RF...
Assuming that the product cost is indeed $180 as you suggest. Let's take that as the unmitigated truth. Now add the logistical costs of labor to this and you have a budget of $120/phone. Customer A goes to store, talks to AT&T employee for 15 minutes, ordering replacment, getting temporary phone - then we have yet other employees who track the replacment phone (which costs something) and the tracking that goes along with it. Now we add the logistics of new iPhones going...
This is a design defect, noob. If you have an iPhone, it works great around Mommy and Daddy's house - oh, goody for you. Now travel with it. You will soon find that your shiny new iPhone will drop calls in areas where there is not a tower around the corner. This is why it's a HARDWARE DEFECT. Guess what, if you have an iPhone - you too have the problem - you just are not smart enough to realize it yet.
Do you have a iPhone 4? If not, I suggest you STFU. You have no skin in the game; you are background chatter. Somehow, I think if you had put your money where your mouth is, you'd be singing another song. Some of us paid money for a defecive product, some of us face fines (re-stocking fees) and will then be forced to take another unwanted AT&T product for the remainder of our 2 yr committment - so having an ignorant Apple fanboi telling us to return the product is not...
If this were a TV that dropped TV shows without warning whenever you entered the room; or a car that randomly stopped while being driven - would you expect anything other than a re-call and the produce repaired? I paid an early termination fee to leave Verizon - that was my decision, based upon the belief that the 4th Generation iPhone would be a solid product. I then ordered my iPhone through AT&T, because Apple's website was woefully inadequate to handle the demand...
Firmware will NOT fix a design flaw. It's pretty simple, actually. In an area with poor reception and you decide to lay the iPhone in your palm, you drop the call. Touch the iPhone and you go from having bars - to "Searching". Now, if there is a software or driver error, that's one thing. We are talking about a 'new' TriQuint chip after all. The proximity detector essentially 'works' but it needs some tweaking. Firmware should fix that. But the antenna is another...
Jeez ... I don't have cancer; therefore there is no such thing as cancer. Here's a brief introduction into analog RF communications. If you are somewhat close to a tower, you may take a tin snips and cut off your antenna. You may even be able to rip the wires off of the PCB and STILL get great reception. You may even be able to lift the PCB traces off of the board, right up to the leads of the chip. There may be enough signal such that the internal traces on the chip...
You mean, um ... like the 2008 Apple Time Capsule that they recently acknowledged? So, what about the people who had one of these lemons go out on them 6 months ago - and rushed out and bought a new wireless router - because they may actually NEED them .... as in ... oh .... today? Sorry, putting your head in the sand for an unspecified period of time and ignoring the problem is NOT the way to solve the problem.
When I was in DC, I was unable to replicate the Grip of Death. The DC metro area has great coverage. But, here at home, if I dare to touch the phone - even hold it in my palm without the case - I cannot complete a 5 minute phone call without dropping the call, and then the dreaded "Searching". So, as long as you stay in a coverage area with full bars; you are fine. But, go into a basement, tunnel or a more remote area and you too will discover the joys of dropped...