or Connect

Posts by Hodar

If this were a TV that dropped TV shows without warning whenever you entered the room; or a car that randomly stopped while being driven - would you expect anything other than a re-call and the produce repaired? I paid an early termination fee to leave Verizon - that was my decision, based upon the belief that the 4th Generation iPhone would be a solid product. I then ordered my iPhone through AT&T, because Apple's website was woefully inadequate to handle the demand...
Firmware will NOT fix a design flaw. It's pretty simple, actually. In an area with poor reception and you decide to lay the iPhone in your palm, you drop the call. Touch the iPhone and you go from having bars - to "Searching". Now, if there is a software or driver error, that's one thing. We are talking about a 'new' TriQuint chip after all. The proximity detector essentially 'works' but it needs some tweaking. Firmware should fix that. But the antenna is another...
Jeez ... I don't have cancer; therefore there is no such thing as cancer. Here's a brief introduction into analog RF communications. If you are somewhat close to a tower, you may take a tin snips and cut off your antenna. You may even be able to rip the wires off of the PCB and STILL get great reception. You may even be able to lift the PCB traces off of the board, right up to the leads of the chip. There may be enough signal such that the internal traces on the chip...
You mean, um ... like the 2008 Apple Time Capsule that they recently acknowledged? So, what about the people who had one of these lemons go out on them 6 months ago - and rushed out and bought a new wireless router - because they may actually NEED them .... as in ... oh .... today? Sorry, putting your head in the sand for an unspecified period of time and ignoring the problem is NOT the way to solve the problem.
When I was in DC, I was unable to replicate the Grip of Death. The DC metro area has great coverage. But, here at home, if I dare to touch the phone - even hold it in my palm without the case - I cannot complete a 5 minute phone call without dropping the call, and then the dreaded "Searching". So, as long as you stay in a coverage area with full bars; you are fine. But, go into a basement, tunnel or a more remote area and you too will discover the joys of dropped...
Good engineering practice is to give the scope of your review. If you like the display, comment on that. If you like the battery life, comment on that. Take measurements. But CR went several steps too far; they said that all phones drop bars when the phone is held, and that the iPhone 4 behaved similarily. This was obviously NOT THE TRUTH - that is a lie, or a very gross assumption. Face it, CR grabbed a hypothesis from a dark and unsanitary place and plastered that...
Stupidity should be painful. I switched from Verizon, which has impecable reception and got the iPhone 4 through AT&T. I paid an early termination fee, because I expected Apple to know how to make a phone by their 4th Generation, and have found that they made a world-class screw-up. Fortunately, I have discovered a work-around on the antenna issue - turn off the 3G and stick with EDGE and you get about ~10-12 dB better reception. But, your statement about returning the...
It works beautifully for where you currently are. If you are in a heavily covered AT&T phone area, chances are you could take a tin snips and cut the antenna clean off your phone and never drop a call. But, if you travel to an area with poor coverage - you too will experience the 'Grip of Death' phenomina. It's inherent in the design. On a similar note - if you turn off 3G and 'suffer' with using only Edge; your frequency of dropped calls will mysteriously dimminish. ...
I think the iPad is an entirely NEW market. The Netbook is a 90% productivity and 10 % leisure device. It barely runs Windows, it has lousy keyboard/mouse and a crappy display with an underpowered 1 GHz processor. For movie watching, music and gaming - well, it's pathetic. If you fly or commute, you can watch a movie or play a game on it - but it's only last resort. The iPad is 80% Leisure and 20% productivity. It's amazing to watch movies, play games, surf the net;...
I'll toss this at you ... it's seeming to be ignored on this thread. I have a iPhone 4, and work in an area that has poor reception. Yesterday, I dropped 6 calls in 15 minutes. Frustrating does not begin to express my feelings. Co-worker did an experiment with his 3G iPhone. Jailbroke it, set the display to show antenna dB instead of bars and did some comparisons. With 3G disabled, he got several dB better reception in the same area, than with it enabled. He's been...