or Connect

Posts by synp

What this is supposed to measure is the brand value, not the company value. If Coca Cola could no longer use their brand and were forced to sell clear bottles or white cans with a sticker that says "cola", how much less would they sell as compared to now. In other words, how much extra sales is the name worth. IBM makes a lot of sales to businesses, because IT departments love to work with them, and the brand generates a lot of extra income. Sure, 14 year-olds don't...
Writing "period" does not make what you say any truer. iPad consumers did not, in fact, buy the iPad because of the ARM vs Intel, and they didn't care much about OSX vs Windows vs iOS (three different operating systems btw) But when they bought it, they did realize several things:That the battery would last for many hours. This is not possible with any current Intel processor, so while they don't care, Apple's choice does affect their value.That it would not run MS-Office,...
For example, this. Apple makes more money in smartphones, because their two models sell in large quantities, and they can use economies of scale. Samsung and HTC and the others sell a lot more models, each with far fewer sales, but they are bound by Apple's prices - the market won't bear significantly higher prices, hence low profits, even though taken together they sell more phones than Apple. With tablets, Apple's domination is even more pronounced, accounting for most...
With the possible exception of Samsung, none of these companies can make any money on Android tablets. I'm guessing that they will not introduce any more Android tablets, and hope that they can later make money on Win8 tablets. Phones are pretty much the same thing. All profits are going to Apple, RIM, Nokia, Samsung, and HTC, RIM and Nokia are shrinking fast, and very little is split between Samsung and HTC. No telling how many phone manufacturers will stay in the...
Sure it's possible. If you have an administrator account and try to drag the Terminal to the Desktop, you just get one of those authentication dialogs (just like you would get if you tried to use sudo in the terminal.
1 line of code... Are we talking IEFBR14?
Lots of software requires changes between OS releases. Anything with a kernel driver. So Mac OS releases tend to be released to developers several months before general release. The release to developers is usually an WWDC in June. It didn't happen this year, so maybe next year. So a general release, think September '11.
Because to get it to be "nano" enough, you are left with an unuseable touch screen. There are other vendors who sell tiny phones for cheap. I don't see how Apple can do anything remarkable here.
-23 hours and 40 minutes to go
I thought so too, at first, but I changed my mind, because the iPad is such a poor laptop replacement. The iPad is a peripheral of exactly one regular computer. It shares some files with it. A worthwhile laptop replacement should be able to synchronize with more than one computer. If it did, I could have a computer at home, a computer at work (both desktops) and an iPad. As it is, I am either prevented from putting music files from home on the iPad, so it's not very...