or Connect

Posts by nealg

Reading some of the posts that were here earlier, it would seem the distinction between marketing and selling is an internal one. I think everyone has a different set point about when marketing becomes selling and vice versa, or if they are exactly the same thing.   I think the takeaway from the story for me is how much Jobs cared about Apple, its products and the image it presented. That kind of passion cannot be replaced and maybe that is the reason Jobs went to Cook...
First of all, it would be interesting to see what raw numbers they are working with. Second of all, wouldn't it have been better to see what Apple actually sold in terms of phones this afternoon than just putting up a guess this morning? I guess they are going for page views and will be putting out a correction(maybe) if the number they used for Apple this quarter is significantly different than what actually gets reported this afternoon. Lots of different stories out...
If I am remembering correctly, Apple was in talks for their tech prior to the deal with MSFT and they said Apple wanted to much control. Maybe, they were pushed for a deal by the change at MSFT.
You can't really expect Ballmer to look at things rationally and admit the errors that were made under his administration. If he does that, then the whole time he ran MSFT he would have to see himself and his time there as a massive failure. As the marketing person he is, I don't think he could ever admit to that, except maybe in hindsight in 20 years or so(it took Sculley quite a few years to figure out what had happened at Apple). By blaming the other companies, he...
The sales figures that get reported tomorrow, while important, aren't the only things that are important. What would have been interesting to know is the backlog of orders that Apple had the past few years after the launch weekend. There have never been enough phones to sell on the opening weekend of the most updated model of phone and there won't be because Apple is going to ramp production once it is clear what the overall demand looks like. What is better to report, an...
Didn't realize this. Thanks for pointing that out. Are any of them good?   The novelty, I thought, was that this is an Apple based solution that will work through a browser on Windows 8 or with Chrome. I was thinking that this was a way for Apple to move people away from Office or Google stuff and onto Apple stuff. The fact that they announced it today when there were a bunch of other things that they could have talked about on stage, I thought was significant. 
Just some quick hits.   Didn't tune in for the first part of the presentation but I liked most of what I saw. Some things will take getting used to but most of what I saw looked great, especially the way the icons sit over the home screen. Will need to see what things look like in person on our devices but the overall feeling I get that this is a big net positive and it won't scare people away from the platform but will probably draw them in.   Everybody sees...
GG,   You always seem to take the anti-Apple slant to things without talking about the negative impact on any other parties. Also, I am not sure how you come your opinion based on the information presented. You would have to explain your opinion better to not come off as purely trolling.   My basis of understanding of FRAND is this   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_and_non-discriminatory_licensing   Based on my what I am reading, as a reasonable person, seeing...
Apple has become the lightning rod for not only the financial press but also, it seems, the US Senate. Apple, because of its size, has become a target for everybody. It would be interesting to see a fair assessment of what other corporate biggies pay as a percentage of tax of their earnings compared to Apple. I wonder if that isn't something that Apple should be looking at doing?
It would seem to me that Apple has more of a perception problem. Partly because of the share price, people equate that with how well Apple is doing and haven't looked to see that the past 2 quarters were the best revenue producing quarters in its history for that particular quarter.   The perception problem is worse at Apple because their best spokesman is no longer alive. I think Cook is doing an excellent job at Apple on most fronts. On the perception front, he...