or Connect

Posts by nealg

You are correct. http://www.forbes.com/sites/timothylee/2012/05/03/target-pulls-kindles-off-shelves-in-retaliation-for-showrooming/
  If you take a look at the numbers they provided for last year in the same category, the 59% number is down from 71% so, to me, it doesn't appear to be spin.
I just remember this from the judge in the US   http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/14/samsung-lawyers-also-struggle-to-tell-ipad-and-galaxy-tab-apart/   The article as it presently stands, as far as I could see, does not mention if Apple has the right to appeal or not but says that Apple will have to advertise in newspapers and magazines as well as on their own website in the uk for 6 months about this result. I would include a link to the macrumors article or a...
Interesting how long it took for Apple to finally get this to market. Even for the iPhone. Possibly 3-5 years. Yet after Apple introduced the iPhone, all of a sudden every other phone manufacturer had a design that was similar as well as an OS that tried to be similar. Same with the iPad for the hardware but it has been harder for the competition to get the tablet. 10 inches of screen real estate for the iPad was too hard to optimize right off the bat. Much easier to do...
The patent system is a mess but it is the system that is in place to protect people/companies that innovate. Unfortunately, it also protects some who really haven't and needs upgrading to cover things that take place in the modern economy.   That being said, if Apple has truly innovated and others have copied, Apple deserves to be able to call them on it. If you are really being honest and not being beholden to a platform, you would have to admit that Apple with its...
Horace Dedieu's estimate on the number of phones sold by Nokia/MSFT   http://www.asymco.com/2012/07/13/how-many-lumia/   His number is 330K. Even if this number is low as some in the comments section have mentioned, this is the reason for the price drop. Not surprising since the phone was obsoleted just after being announced and cut off from much of the new upgrades coming in a couple of months. And being MSFTs partner, Nokia had to know about this. They wanted...
Is it possible that the announcement of the Surface tablet by MSFT may have the unintended consequence of causing consumers to hold off on buying a new machine until they get a chance to check this thing out? When the surface was announced, there seemed to be many MSFT people who seemed to want to buy this thing when looking at the comments section of some of the articles that were written.   I know they wanted to try to prevent some people from going over to Apple...
There are points that can be argued several different ways on what will affect what. Was battery life and or processing power holding back the sales of laptop pcs to this point in time? Are people waiting for Windows 8 to upgrade, especially since they were burned in the past with upgrading machines they thought would be able to take the new windows system(was it vista?) that really couldn't be upgraded? Are users, outside of the tech crowd, really looking forward to...
No one will be buying Nokia phones. My guess is that they will most likely give them away. It will be interesting to see if MSFT chips in to help pay these bills. It might have been a tactic for MSFT to get to give these phones away to increase their market share. The other thing they could do is make sure anyone who buys this phone and gets any apps gets the app upgrade for free when they get a WP8 phone. Otherwise, you are right. New(as well as old)buyers will be mad.
Nokia had to know what was coming because they had to be in the process of developing for WP8 when they came out with the Lumia series. So essentially, Nokia was forced my MSFT to develop a new line of phones that would be obsolete in less than a year and they knew it. That is the reason why Nokia gave such poor guidance going forward. They knew this was coming. The more I read about this, the more that I am leaning towards thinking that maybe this was all intentional...