or Connect

Posts by nealg

Biggest problem for RIMM, from the reports I have read, is that they put out an unfinished product at premium prices. It could have worked if there wasn't any other tablet around but the iPad has been around now for 1.5 years and people aren't going to pay a premium for something that appears unfinished. The other thing that I don't understand is the production runs that these companies have ordered for the launch of their products. Why come out with a substantial...
Tim Cook is no longer the COO as mentioned in the last part of the article although maybe he was at the time he gave the quote
As an Apple shareholder, it doesn't matter if the iPhone is considered "cool". As long as the sell through is hot, that is all that matters. Nuff said
The sample size is small and the article doesn't mention how they were picked so randomization may be an issue. But the interesting thing for me about this is that all of the developers that were on both iOs and Android thought that iOs was easier to develop for and monetization was better with iOs. It means that Apple is doing the right things as far as developers go which is good for Apple and the platform in the long and short term. I don't think there is too much else...
The video cutoff about 2/3rds of the way through the presentation so I am not sure of everything that was said but I am thinking this was just the formal presentation for public consumption. The more significant issues will need to be dealt with in a more behind the scenes manner. I am thinking there are going to be reports on what this will do to traffic in the area and what kind of enhancements to the streets that will need to happen. Also, I am sure environmental...
This is interesting for me because the last Sony DVD with a digital copy that I tried to download to one our Macs in the house, I wasn't able to do it. Sony had it locked down to its own devices or a PC. Maybe Apple is trying to use this as a bargaining chip to get Sony to open up and allow its content from a digital copy to play on a Mac. Maybe for Sony, what goes around comes around. Not quite sure how I feel about all of this but I will wait until I hear the full...
Sony is a company that is trying to find it's way back to prominence, IMO. I hope that this new device is one of the first steps, although I have my doubts. My recent experiences with Sony have not been good. My wife had bought a DVD with a digital copy but you could not download it on a Mac. It really is something that should be simple to do but left me with a bad feeling about Sony. Neal
However, as many have pointed out here, there are many conditions attached to this statement. How many phones have actually made into the hands of consumers? How many are in inventory? Why is MSFT reporting the numbers in this manner instead of the number of activations which would end the doubt/discussion of the numbers? Has MSFT incentivized the OEMs to build the phones? Are they subsidizing the cost? How much in advertising did they spend over the holidays to sell...
I see now what you were asking. AI used the term earned when they should have used something related to revenue. You are correct on this. And the Apple fiscal year does start with the holiday quarter. This is something that gets confused as well when writers don't specify if they are talking about calendar vs fiscal year. As a society, I don't think we write as well as we used to and we don't read as carefully as we used to. I think things will get worse with all the...
Apple's fiscal year starts in September and ends in August of the following year. The holiday season is the first quarter of Apple's new fiscal year. My take on it is that from September 2009 until August 2010 Apple did 3 billion in revenue in China. Then from September 2010 to December 2010, Apple did 2.6 billion in revenue. In my opinion, this is the most important info from the CC call because this is where a lot of Apple's growth could be coming from in the coming...