or Connect

Posts by Junkyard Dawg

That's about the only solution for most Macs.  It's sort of ugly to have a hub and a bunch of wires on the desk, Ive would have been wise to design some accessable ports on Macs to pretty up the desktop.  He's really a shortsighted designer.
If we're talking soldering RAM to the logic board, then that probably won't be an issue.  The rMBP has plenty of RAM, but will Apple do the right thing with a sub-$1000 Mini?  Probably.  The current strategy of offering base models with paltry amounts of RAM is designed to force purchases of RAM from Apple, but when RAM is no longer an upgradable component, Apple will be motivated to include enough RAM so as not to tarnish the image of OS X.     Also note that...
Only chumps and fools buy RAM through Apple.  I can't believe this is even a discussion.  
It may be different, but TB cable costs will be a huge adoption barrier.  Even if production advances cut cable costs in half (not likely), consumers will be faced with deciding between expensive TB peripherals and cables, and cheaper USB 3.0 "super speed" that is nearly as fast.  For 95% of all consumer uses, the USB solution will be just as good.     Apple's TB display is a desperate attempt to push TB on users and will very likely fail.  It offers few advantages over a...
  So you believe there is no ergonomic difference between plugging a flash drive into the front of say, a Mac Pro, versus plugging it into the back of an iMac?   Interesting.             My point was regarding the purchase of a new display.  If the feature set is the same, but one is slightly thinner, what is the advantage to the consumer?  The new TB displays promise to have less glare, which is a good reason to wait for one.  Waiting because they're a bit thinner is...
Maybe I misread the original question, I thought it was regarding the advantages of a desktop computer with an external display versus an all in one design like the iMac.   Of course many of the advantages apply to using a Mini with an external display, that was the point.  And yes, the hot components glommed onto the back of the iMac's display do indeed affect display longevity.  iMac displays lose their ability to calibrate correctly over time faster than dedicated...
  Yes, because these days it's hard to find a peripheral that doesn't require Thunderbolt, LOL!   TB at this point is just Apple marketing.  There are plenty of alternate solutions that are as good or better, and many that are as good are also cheaper.  With USB 3.0 SuperSpeed or whatever it's called debuting, TB may well die a quick and painful death anyways.
 640K ought to be enough for the mini.
  1.  More display choices.   2.  Ability to share a display with the xMac mini and another computer.   3.  Longer display life without all the iMac's hot components. 4.  Ability to upgrade drives without a complete teardown (assuming Apple pulled their head out of their arse when designing the xMac mini).  5.  Ability to upgrade the computer without throwing out a beautiful 27" IPS display.   There are probably other advantages, but those are off the top of my head.  
Who cares how thin it is?  I'd rather have a better screen, more TB lanes, and USB 3.0 than "thinner".  When you're using the display it's impossible to know whether it's 1" thin or 2" thin anyways.   Also, I'd appreciate it if Apple stopped hiding ports like USB in hard to see and reach places.  On my Dell I can insert a flash drive without moving from my chair.  On an iMac/TB display, I have to give the display a reach-around to do the same thing.  This is another...