or Connect

Posts by Junkyard Dawg

Have you ever read text on a Retina display?  It's amazing, even an iPhone works quite well as an ebook reader because of the exquisite sharpness of the text.  Of course photos also benefit from the Retina display's high resolution.     Make no mistake, the Retina display is a great differentiating feature of the iPad.  The iPad mini will sell well, and it's relatively low price will be the reason for many consumers, but without a Retina display it's just not an amazing...
Too bad Apple fucked this up, I was going to wait in line to buy one until I learned that it did not have a Retina display.     I would use it primarily for reading, so without a Retina display it's no better than my Nook Color for reading text (actually worse:  iPad is 163 ppi, nook color is 169 ppi).  Sure, it's better at everything else, but that's why I have a MacBook Pro!  Sharp text is what I'm after, and it's plenty easy to load my rooted Nook Color with epub...
You seem to think that Apple waves a magic wand and the universe obeys.  Ummm...no.     All the people using optical discs for movies or video don't care what Apple does or does not include on their hardware.  Those who have a decade or more of data archived on DVD are not going to convert their entire backup scheme because Apple changed hardware configurations.  The world doesn't work the way you seem to believe.   As for floppy discs, the idea that Apple...
Likely next screen, or desired next screen? My desire is for Apple to implement wide gamut display technology across the lineup and add hooks to OS X to enable developers to easily support the wide gamut color space.  LIkelyhood of that happening is about zero.   Otherwise the retina iPad is fine, no need to do much to the display except perhaps laminate the glass to it to reduce glare.  More pressing is the need to boost iPad battery life and do something about...
The simplist answer is that the 17" MacBook would confuse buyers.  They would be faced with the choice between an ultra high resolution 15" laptop, and a cheaper laptop with a larger 17" display.  Since volume is the key to bringing down the retina display prices, it wouldn't have served to have the 17" cannibalizing high end retina sales.     Now there's a straightforward high end:  the retina MacBooks.   Another possibility is that Apple would rather sell users a laptop...
Discs are not "dead", and it's silly to say they are.   I think you're just saying no one uses optical drives because Apple is phasing them out.  You pretty much recite whatever is in Apple's latest marketing copy.  When Apple releases a new Mac Pro, you'll be gushing about how forward thinking it is, but if Apple were to EOL the Mac Pro, you would be denigrating everyone here who is critical of Apple's decision.     Out in the real world, DVDs and Blu-ray are widely...
I don't know about removing optical drives.  What about those who use iMovie or Final Cut to author home movies to share with friends and relatives?  How does one share a high quality version of the finished product?  Remember that broadband still is not available in many places except for 3g, which comes with bandwidth caps that make streaming HQ video prohibitively expensive.     Virtually everyone has DVD players, it's a reliable standard if you want to share home...
No, better hardware in a not as pretty package that still works fine.
  That doesn't mean Apple will never again offer a 17" MacBook.   When they can offer a 17" Retina MBP at a reasonable price, I'd bet good money it returns in maybe 3-5 years. 
 I have looked elsewhere, I own a Mac Pro!  The issue is that it's overkill for my needs.     Apparently you're feelings are hurt when people don't fluff Apple's product lines.  You think Apple's product matrix is perfect as it is.  You berate and marginalize anyone who doesn't agree with you're uncritical assesment of Apple products.     You know what says it all?  You telling me to go buy a PC.  I've been using Macs since 1987, and currently own a Mac Pro, two Minis, an...