or Connect

Posts by Junkyard Dawg

Awesome news, props to Cook for making it happen.  I've been harsh on some of his decisions lately, but this move more than makes up for the bad ones.  If this production line is successful, Apple will likely move even more production over here.     Most important IMO was Cook's comment that Apple has a responsibility to bring jobs to the US.  If only more CEOs thought this way.  We have Jobs to thank for putting Cook in his place, but I don't think Jobs would have...
  So what do I do with all the Macs I own?  Three Intel Minis, a 17" MBP, and a Hexa-core Mac Pro.  I can do without the minis, but the MBP and the Hexa-core?  Anyone tries to separate me from those, and they'll be glad Apple never made an iGun.   Why not try being part of the solution?  When Apple effs up a design, call them out.  If enough Mac faithful hammer Apple over idiotic design choices, they may correct course.  Ive lost his way, but I believe he still has a few...
Maybe when the economy picks up and Apple feels they can jack the price points on the MacBook Pro line.     The lack of a retina display on the iPad mini suggests that it will be some time before Apple can offer Retina displays at the same price points as conventional low res displays.  When Retina-like resolutions are offered by other laptop manufacturers perhaps LG will have the volume needed to lower prices.   As far as losing the optical drives and soldering the...
  With SSDs there's not much use of internal RAID, if that's what you mean.  There is still a need for big, cheap storage space, and internal HDDs fit the bill.  If anything there is more need for internal HDDs now than before SSDs.  Previously, even photoshop users needed fast RAID volumes which it could be argued are preferably put in an external SAS enclosure.  For many pros, it's now possible to keep everything in the tower except for external backups.  Video editing...
Obviously it would have to be a custom solution, not simple support for a PCIe card.  That's why I mentioned that Apple and Intel would have to work together on it.   Since the OP kicked this off with an ARM-based Mac Pro, I figured this wasn't a reality-based thread. ;)
All quad-cores now, when the max for consumer desktop processors is quad-core, would contradict the purpose of the Mini.  It's not supposed to be a desktop computing solution for serious users, Apple wants those users to buy a new iMac every 2-3 years.  The most likely path for the Mini is thinner, with soldered DIMMs and SSDs, and no HDDs because thin.  Optimally it would just be a sealed slip of aluminum with a USB and Thunderbolt port on the back.  No power button,...
Last spring I bought a Mac Pro with 3 1GB DIMMs, and promptly upgraded it to 3 8GB DIMMs.  It was a "substantial transformation"!   Sorry, for me to believe Apple is doing major assembly in the US will take more than a product sticker.  Let's see some photos of the assembly operation before jumping to conclusions.  
That's certainly true about encouraging new rounds of upgrades, and it could explain why Apple hasn't upgraded the Mac Pro recently.  The new Xeon processors don't offer the sorts of performance increases you describe, and at least in my experience, SATA III isn't enough of an improvement over SATA II to make me want a whole new system.  To hear people whining about switching to windows over the lack of SATA III and USB 3.0 seems silly IMO.     There is something new...
Personally I'd like to see a physically larger iPod Classic that houses a standard 2.5" HDD.  2 TB of Apple Lossless music :P  Of course Apple won't do that, because they're about thin, and consumers don't care about audio quality.  
I'd like to see the Mini split into two product lines.    First line:  Thin.  That's it in a word.  Solder in the DIMMs, use mPCIe blade SSDs like in the MBA, and provide no internal HDD bays.  The goal here is a thin slip of aluminium that gives Ive a woody.  Offer it with only the lowest CPU speeds to keep heat minimal.  Integrate the aluminum exterior with the CPU heatsink to really get this thing THIN.  It should be a shiny bauble of the highest order, designed...