or Connect

Posts by Junkyard Dawg

It's one of the first Apple computers built, but far from one of the first computers ever built. Get a copy editor!
I like the dual LEDs, that could make for a pretty useful flashlite.  
Totally agree on the iPad 5.  If some of the rumors are to be believed, it may weigh as little as 16 ounces.  For a ~10" tablet that is freakin' amazing!  That's about my weight limit (including weight of a case so about 1 lb 12 oz) for extended reading at night whilst holding a tablet up in bed, so I'd go for the iPad 5 over a Mini if they hit that weight.   Your second point I must disagree with.  That idea is to crush the competition, and currently the iPad Mini is a...
Good thinking. This is one of those details that Apple could completely ignore and it wouldn't affect sales one bit. It's about doing the right thing. Cool.
  Not exactly, but Apple is being a bit vague and the W9000 have the right amount of SPs.  The W9000 supports 6 mini DP outputs versus the S10000 supporting only 4 mini DP and one DVI.  No Crossfire on the S10000 and one would hope Apple has these things crossfired.     It's likely that Apple has a custom FirePro card solution that doesn't match any of the official AMD offerings.  Probably only custom display output but anything is possible.     Also, Apple doesn't like...
    Dual FirePro W9000s are in the high end model.  We don't know what the base model will use.  And FirePro W9000s are more than $2,300 a pop, try about $3,400 - $3,700.  No matter what sort of deal AMD gives Apple, that high end Mac Pro is going to cost, but it will be worth it if reports on the WWDC demo are to be believed.   And yes, the Nvidia GT 120 found in many Mac Pros cannot handle basic OS X animations smoothly.  That's a fact.  
    You're comparing a high range i7 mobile CPU to the base Xeon CPU.  Talk about clueless.  At least add in the chipset and memory when you make the comparison, otherwise it's just farting in the wind.   It should be pretty obvious that an xMac line with a range of i7 processor options would cost less for the CPU at each level (low, mid, high) than an xMac line with a range of Xeon processors.  i7 CPUs would also use cheaper non-ECC RAM.  I don't know but I would guess...
  That's a lot of R&D money to spend on such an elaborate scheme when all Apple has to do to kill the Mac Pro is...kill the Mac Pro.  Still, your post raises a good point:  even after Apple presented their new Mac Pro, pros still have no freakin' clue about Apple's intentions.  The product is out there and Mac users are left to figure it out on their own.   I generally don't like WWJD posts (What Would Jobs Do?), but Jobs would have used the introduction of a new Mac Pro...
From your lips to Apple's Space Ship.     That's my thought ever since laying eyes on this iTube.  Both technically and asthetically it's a beautiful design, but somehow it strikes me not as a pro machine, but as almost exactly what Apple should be making as their high end consumer desktop.  A quiet and compact desktop machine for the masses.  A non-upgradable GPU is usually fine as long as it's not underpowered from the beginning, as is the case with the Mini and even...
Hint:  if you have to explain a product name that relies on a reference to a relatively unknown locale...it sucks.   Most people haven't seen the movie "Mavericks".  Most people have no idea that it's a name for a surfing area.  For most people the name conjures the image of McCain/Palin, then laughter and not the good kind.     I feel like a fool saying the name in anything but a derogatory tone, and I'm not alone.  It's a not a big deal, but it's the sort of...