or Connect

Posts by Junkyard Dawg

[quote]Originally posted by moki: My read of the article is that it has to do with helping customers get their custom-designed chips to market using IBM's new fab facility in a more efficient manner. I don't think this has anything to do with the IBM-designed PPC 970... In any event, sure, Apple has had prototypes of 970-based machines for a while... that's how it works. Prototypes always exist long before products do, the same way novels exist in unfinished...
Hopefully Apple stays away from 1280x1024 for their next LCD lineup. That res is so fugly, I don't understand it. Why not use 1280x960, which maintains the proper ratio so that images aren't distorted? Odd.
Another Moto practice to consider is that they normally don't publicly disclose the speed of the parts to be used by Apple. For example, even now the 7455 is listed with a top end of 1 GHz. Could IBM be doing the same with the PPC 970? Disclosing specs of a low-end PPC 970, while supplying Apple with a much higher specced PPC 970?
That's a cool little homage to the Nutcracker in 2112 overture, right at the end. Rockin' album! Thanks for reminding me of it, I'm playing it now... EDIT: to stay on topic...It seems like this development is too late to have much impact on the PPC 970's development, but then perhaps this was in the works since Apple and IBM began courting. Something tells me that Apple's got a PPC 970-ready mobo in the bowls of their skunkworks and that it's been in testing...
Sure the slow G4s hold Apple back. I wouldn't doubt for one second that if Apple's low end was a 1.5 GHz PPC, and their towers were all dual 2+ GHz G4s, then Apple would discover a way to leverage that sort of power in a unique way. But I also think Apple's management shares some of the blame for not getting this PPC 970 off the ground sooner. I don't know what transpired between Apple and Moto, but it seems like Apple stayed in the sack with Moto a bit too long and...
Interesting! Is that Rush, 2112, in your sig? I really dug that album back in high school.
[quote]Originally posted by TJM: I know it seems silly with all the "killer processor next week" rumors we've been seeing for the last year and a half. That's why I didn't post it earlier. It's just that I read what seem to be credible reports of a new chip that has been sampling since April (never actually identified as the 970), and then the line in IBM's financial report about how the new Fishkill plant is already or nearly up and running, with production...
Should have been $99 from the start...much more fair to early adopters.
I've got a RAID Cassette tape drive setup: 4 cassette tape recorders circa Commodo Vic 20, and all in a striped RAID array. Blazing speed, and I can even play Oregon Trail again!
I like OW best. Yeah it's rendering engine isn't as good as Chimera's, but it has far more features, and IMO better features. My favorite OW feature is that it supports OS X's spell checker. I don't understand why other browsers don't, but for a bad speller like me, a spell checker is a must. Based on what I've read, OW 5 is going to kick ass. The rendering engine promises to be the fastest of any OS X browser, and tabbed browsing will be implemented.....the only...