or Connect

Posts by Junkyard Dawg

[quote]Originally posted by stunned: Apple makes great computers and OS. But the reality is that most of us need to use a PC for a certain software or internet application that the Mac cannot support. Sad, but true
I disagree. I think it's the exception rather than the rule that someone needs a specific Windows app that can't be found for the Mac. In most cases, there will be several software titles for a particular function...
It's hard to figure out Apple's strategy with the G4 iMac. When originally introduced, prices were ok, and it seemed reasonable that in a year or so, prices would drop to very reasonable levels. I was very surprised that Apple didn't intro the iMac with a 17" LCD option from the beginning, but other than that it seemed like a solid computer. Now here we are 10 months after the iMac's intro, and Apple has only made two changes to the lineup. First, they raised prices...
iBook: G4 CPU, 133 MHz FSB. Higher resolution 14" display. Analogue and digital I/O ports, including microphone in and line in. Titanium: PPC 970 and supporting mobo. Higher display resolution. Analogue and digital I/O ports, including microphone in and line in. iMac: Dual G4 CPUs, 133 MHz FSB. 17" LCD standard, w/ 19" LCD on high end. Analogue and digital I/O ports, including microphone in and line in. Powermac: Dual PPC 970 on all models. Analogue and digital I/O...
Just because you have to flash a PC video card's ROM to use it on a Mac doesn't mean that the AGP standard is a waste of time on the Mac. If Apple hadn't adopted AGP graphics, then it's very likely we wouldn't even be able to buy high end GPUs for our Macs. Currently a video card maker can share the R&D between Mac and WIntel cards by designing a single card and then writing different drivers for it. Other standards on the Mac help out as well. Where would we be if...
MacNN reported that in addition to Steve Jobs giving a keynote at MWSF, Philip Shiller will also give a keynote on "The Power of X". To me this sounds like Jobs has so much to cover in his keynote that he can't fit in the topic that Schilller will discuss. All that's left for updates are iMacs and Powermacs (maybe eMacs), so how will Jobs fill up a whole keynote? Perhaps the Powermac 970 introduction will be what takes up all that time? Is it even unusual to have a VP...
MacNN reported that in addition to Steve Jobs giving a keynote at MWSF, Philip Shiller will also give a keynote on "The Power of X". To me this sounds like Jobs has so much to cover in his keynote that he can't fit in the topic that Schilller will discuss. All that's left for updates are iMacs and Powermacs (maybe eMacs), so how will Jobs fill up a whole keynote? Perhaps the Powermac 970 introduction will be what takes up all that time? Is it even unusual to have a VP...
I see Apple updating iMacs prior to MWSF. Currently the iMac is the oldest Mac, followed by the Powermacs...So Apple can update all products except the towers before MWSF. Then at MWSF the show will focus on Powermacs. Why this big focus on the towers? He he he he! Within the next month: iMac update. $200 price drop across the iMac lineup: 999 17" LCD display 867 MHz G4 Geforce 4 MX 32 MB CDRW 1299 17" LCD display 867 MHz G4 Geforce 4 MX 32 MB Combo 1499 17"...
This is one thing about Apple that really infuriates me. After wasting precious R&D resources on developing their silly ADC feature, Apple STILL lacks a convenient way to display images on a television. What about Apple's efforts to portray Macs as the prime computers for digital video editing? What about iMovie? Obviously it is neither difficult nor expensive to put S-Video ports on Macs, since the iBook has S-Video out. Most, if not all, video cards used by Apple...
I think the real problem with Apple now isn't so much price as performance. People don't mind paying more for superior performance, but Apple can no longer claim to have a performance lead in ANYTHING. Even $600 Wintels are faster than all but the most expensive Macs. The sooner Apple has the 970 the better. Then they can pimp out the Towers with real performance, and the consumer Macs can use the fastest G4s without treading on Powermac specs. Until then, Apple is...
17" widescreen Titanium. Wow. Apple could sell two variants of the Powerbook, a 17" and a 15". If they get ambitious, they could go for three variants and offer a sub-notebook at 12". I guess it would be a bit difficult to fit everything in the Ti into a 12" laptop, though.