or Connect

Posts by v5v

I'm sorry Crowley, but I think on this one it's not a matter of opinion, you're just incorrect. "He" as a default is in no way sexist at all, it is simply a grammatical convenience and is a formally recognized correct usage. (BTW: Saying "In modern usage it is often replaced by…" does not necessarily endorse the replacement term as "correct," it merely reports that people use it. Lots of people say irregardless, but it's still wrong.)  I can't speak for anyone else, but...
  At the risk of sounding repetitive, I don't understand why you object to something you're under no obligation to use? If you prefer a smaller, lighter iPad, buy a smaller, lighter iPad. If I'm prepared to accept greater weight to get a bigger screen, how would that affect you? Why would you care? That's all I'm saying. EDIT: To be clear, I'm not necessarily saying I do or do not want a 13" iPad, I'm just wondering why anyone would object to buyers having more choices?
 Just out of curiosity, not that it really matters, do you know off the top of your head which style guides say DON'T use "he?" The ones that say "do" are journalism-oriented, Associated Press and… can't remember who publishes the other one. My English Professor former acquaintance would probably say "Shut up and go away!" and tell us we're all idiots for arguing about it instead of going outside to play! :)
 At the time, reports were that work on iOS6 held up completion of something else -- was it Snow Leopard? -- and later that iOS7 interfered with work on Mavericks. If true, it's possible that there's only so much Apple can do at once.
 So because you prefer blondes, all brunettes should be executed? I don't understand why you object to something you're under no obligation to use?
 I hope we don't adopt the ridiculous Facebook model of using "they" because English lacks a singular gender-neutral pronoun. It's wrong and makes this stupid language even stupider by adding even MORE ambiguity to perceived meanings -- like, trying to figure out just what the hell the judge meant when they said "100% of the time." (See that? I not only made the point, but brought the discussion back on-topic!)
 Hm, okay, maybe I'm reading too much into her remarks. My concern is her comment that Apple never claimed Siri would work "100% of the time." Am I wrong to think that was opening the door to misleading advertising? "Hey, our ad said you can drive around in this car, but we never said the brakes would work '100% of the time!'"  Most "experts" say the exact opposite, that "he" is the accepted pronoun when the sex is unknown. The group of writers right outside my door tell...
 Obviously some forms of "stretching the truth" are more egregious than others, which is essentially what the judge said. I just think she might have thrown in a little "gotcha" in her decision. Saying that consumers should EXPECT advertising to be bullshit, thus possibly tacitly protecting an advertiser's right to lie, strikes me as bad legal precedent. The rest of her points about the plaintiffs failing to provide the most fundamental evidence made me wonder who was in...
 I'm saying it's not encouraging for consumers when a judge throws out a lawsuit on the grounds that people should not expect truth in advertising. That opens the door to ads making false claims with the tacit protection of the courts. A commercial tells you that a new wonder drug will repair your heart while you sleep and will for sure NOT kill you if taken with Aspirin. When it DOES kill you the lawsuit is thrown out because you should know better than to believe what a...
 The similarity of that to my own recent experience makes me wonder if the problem is something other than Siri. I recently entered an appointment into Calendar on my Mac and pointed it to an address in Contacts. When I called up the appointment it had made up its own address that bore no resemblance to the one in Contacts. I then asked Contacts to show me the location of the CORRECT address and Maps came up with something that pointed me roughly 50 km (30 miles) in the...