or Connect

Posts by v5v

Right. I definitely DON'T get it. That anyone tolerates such BS is amazing to me.
 I know, right? By now users should KNOW that Apple is utterly CLUELESS about how to manage product updates! They should know that just because Avid and Adobe and every other software vendor they deal with manages major rewrites without screwing their users is not a reason to expect Apple to have any competency whatsoever in that regard. Apple forges its own path, and when it comes to major software revisions, that path involves stripping features and functions until they...
 Partly playing logical nitpicker, partly Devil's advocate, but we don't really know that. A few people in my peer group have found that Apple no longer represents enough of a value proposition to justify the fairly hefty (okay, "enormous") cost premium and have purchased Windows machines instead. Apple's numbers don't reflect how many people have simple said "Screw Mac" altogether.  Actually, there *is* some evidence that Apple is sliding compared to Dell or HP. The...
 Oh, you don't wanna go down THAT road. Wanna talk about a device called iPad?  I strongly disagree, and have given specific examples of how and why. Your argument has no validity without similar support. Saying "Yes it does! Yes it does! Yes it does!" does not make it so.  Not necessarily. Apple has been late to the party before, and other companies have had tremendous success with products Apple doesn't make. Apple is not omnipotent or infallible.
 Skil, no one is doing SHIT with their phone one-handed with the possible exception of dialing voice calls. Don't take my word for it -- go outside and LOOK. Spend just ten minutes on any downtown street corner at noon. Ride a transit train. LOOK AROUND. Apple is restricting usefulness for web browsing, text messaging, video viewing, game playing and EVERY SINGLE OTHER USE OF A SMARTPHONE just to make it slightly easier to dial a voice call with one hand? I'll go out on a...
 Nobody is FORCED to make anything, just like I won't be "forced" to buy a phone that isn't what I want. Apple does what they think is best for them, I argue for what I think is best for ME. Maybe what's best for me is also best for Apple. Maybe those of you who say a bigger phone is a bad idea are the same people who said a smaller iPad was a bad idea. Oh wait... YOU ARE! I still don't get why you so vehemently oppose the very suggestion of any device that doesn't fit...
 And yet I'm the only one who thinks that Apple is putting form over function? Seems to me that if the design makes using slower, less effective components desirable, there's a problem with the design. Who thought it was a good idea to add a screen with 4x as many pixels while also making it more difficult to use a powerful GPU? It's like doubling the weight of a vehicle while reducing the engine horsepower, lowering transmission capacity and shrinking the gas tank. It...
 Ipso facto, the fact that the bizarre move is made by Apple doesn't automatically mean it's NOT idiotic. Absolute REFUSING to discuss product roadmaps does not make a company mysterious and enigmatic, it makes them difficult and annoying. It also makes the company management SEEM arrogant and conceited, which may or may not be true. Thankfully there are excellent productivity tools available from companies that are NOT a colossal pain in the ass to deal with.
 I respect that too. Avid was in a similar situation with Pro Tools -- users were demanding certain features that Avid said would require a complete rewrite of Pro Tools. Users screamed at them to quit whining about how much work it would be and JUST DO IT!!! And that is where the similarity between Apple and Avid ends. Avid began involving partners the second they had a handle on how the rewrite was going to change the hooks between the host and third-party products. They...
 I mean no disrespect when I say that the video you link struck me as an awful lotta feathers, not much chicken. It's long on HOW a transition to FCPX must be managed but way short on WHY one would bother. It states that FCPX is upside down, putting an asset manager on top of a timeline instead of the other way around, but there's no explanation of how that's supposed to be better than any other approach. It also describes the rather ordinary concept of host editor with...