or Connect

Posts by v5v

You're in your twenties, aren't you? People have been trotting out this trite argument for over a decade now... the internet will soon be faster than light and infinite bandwidth will cost 6 cents a year and WiFi will radiate from manhole covers so there will be no need for internal or external storage. Despite there being no sign of any of that being any closer to reality now than it was 10 years ago, someone will share that enlightened vision of the future every time...
 According the article to which we're responding, no, it's not. The whole point of the discussion is the assertion that Windows sales are up while Mac sales are down. The gap is widening, not shrinking. Since OS X is SOOO much better than Windows, one is inevitably led to wonder about Apple's sometimes arguably "questionable" hardware offerings as the culprit.
 I call bullshit on that. You do so know people who buy discs. You even buy the odd one yourself from time to time. Everyone does. I still buy lots of discs and so do my peers. Reasons? Prices for new releases on the iTunes store are 25% higher than Amazon. I can rip the disc and have an unencumbered file I can play anywhere, whereas if I buy from the iTunes store I wind up with DRM headaches. Finally, the image quality of a Blu-Ray still kicks the living crap out of an...
 I'd like that to be true, but I don't think it will be. Cook talked about new products coming at the end of 2013 and in 2014. I think we're looking at next spring before everything gets a refresh.
 True, but neither are the prices immune to standard rules of supply and demand, as evidenced by what happened to hard drive prices after the tsunami and the overnight through-the-roof jump in RAM prices this month.
 I get your point and zero in on this only as an aside: I don't get why people are so hung up on "Retina" everything. Sure, it's pretty, but it's not so much better as to be a deal-breaker in a side-by-side comparison, requires WAY more horsepower to operate, and with apps that aren't yet "optimized" it actually looks WORSE than a conventional display. I get it, it's nice, but I think the desire for it far exceeds the actual benefit. Makes me wish I had a feature like that...
 Sorry, was just trying to illustrate a point. You and I know that an EQUIVALENT computer of another brand will cost almost as much as a Mac (less ~15-20% for difference in profit margin). That's not what a "typical" user will look at though. They see a shelf full of HP and Toshiba laptops for $500 while Macs start at a grand. The Mac might be a better computer, just a like a Mercedes might be better than a Toyota, but the "typical" crowd don't care. To them the Toyota is...
  I understand what you're saying, but I get his point, too. We gotta remember that forum readers like us are not typical computer buyers. The average schmo has no idea what a Thunderbolt is or why he'd need or want one. On the other hand, he DOES know that the shiny box at SuperStuff has a slot in the side so he can play his movies, which seems like it would be convenient (and as recently as yesterday new release movies from Apple still cost 25% more than physical discs...
 Not really relevant to the point of the article though, which is that PC sales are improving while Mac sales are declining. Regardless of what's happening with tablets, people are still buying computers but they're not buying Macs.
 You don't need to respond because I've learned my lesson with respect to peeking into the bozo bin, I just want you to consider how your zealousness has led you to the conclusion that I am anything but excited about the new Mac Pro. I will probably buy one if I can afford it. You may want to ask yourself how you came to the conclusion that I'm "hostile" towards it. There are many shades of gray between "Apple's attitude towards my business is poor compared to other...