or Connect

Posts by v5v

In 1984 we really only had two choices: A Mac or a 286. The Mac did layout well with minimum fuss and cost a lot. The 286 did the same task but not as well and with more hassle but cost much less.   The new Mac Pro doesn't exist in a world in which there's only one other choice. We now have a whole spectrum of choices with varying degrees of capability, ease-of-use and price, so people won't necessarily line up in droves for an expensive device, even if it IS very,...
  That's a right handy feature. Thanks, Dick!     The way I read that, it appears to be saying it's a high-ppi version of 1440 x 900. That means handles and other control elements should actually be slightly LARGER on the 15" then. Hmm. Still less working area than the 17' 1920 x 1200 of course, but none of the issues with small controls I was worried about.   So I guess the only trade off is a little more scrolling.
    That's a commonly misunderstood statement, in my opinion.   Ford was right. His customers were not forward-thinking or imaginative enough to envision the automobile. They did express what they wanted though, and Ford listened.   Customers didn't care whether or not they used horses. The operative part of the phrase was "faster." They didn't say "cars" because there was no such thing. Ford came up with a way to give them "faster horses."   The quote is often presented...
YES!!! REDEMPTION!!!   I'd sell my CAR if I could get a 17" version with modern quad, fast busses and USB3, Retina or not.     He's not alone. I haven't purchased a new Mac for myself since it was discontinued. (I got a non-retina Pro for my wife and a mini for the living room, but nothing for ME.)   I'd take a 19" if they made it!   A few people have noted that you can now cram more onto a 15" screen than I can on my old 17", but it's all really SMALL. The precision...
  Thanks for the explanation. I wish TS would say what he means instead of just posting vague contradictions.   For the record, I wasn't trying to be disingenuous or misleading. The impression I get from articles and comments on this forum are that the rMBP was not nearly as well received as Apple expected, and that there was more to it than just a shrinking of the PC market overall. It is my understanding that the Air has managed to weather the slowdown quite...
  You gotta check out the One. It really is gorgeous.   I recently had opportunity to speak very briefly with someone who just bought one. He said he's accustomed to the iPhone so it was too early to decide whether any objections he had were related to the product or having to learn a new system.   That said, he said the OS isn't too bad if you're willing to dig around in the settings, but the defaults are not productive. We didn't have time to get into what he meant by...
  Maybe I missed something. Weren't both the price reduction and inventory surplus the result of sales being much slower than expected? Doesn't that mean buyers are not as enamoured of it as they are other Apple products?   Seriously, I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here. We often read the argument that the design of the iPhone is obviously ideal because they sell quickly and in enormous quantities. Is the converse not also true, that if something does not sell quickly...
  Wait, what?   Is it not equally possible and likely a sign that the person writing the response is being rude? The tone of the reply does not necessarily bear any relationship to the content of the original remark. One can be a dick in response to an inoffensive post, and one may reply politely to someone who's being an asshole.     What a world you would have to live in to believe that people with different views, beliefs and opinions are "misleading" others and must...
Yesterday Slurpy asked me what's keeping me from buying a new MacBook Pro, so I've been giving it some thought. Among other things, I realized I've succumbed to "anticipation paralysis."   First it was waiting for Lightpeak. Then we all knew the NEXT model would have USB3. Of course, it would have been crazy to buy right before ac-wireless was added. And now, it seems prudent to wait for the better battery life of Haswell and obviously Thunderbolt 2!   Are there...
    Jeez 'Zoob, I love you too...   I didn't say they're not up to snuff. I said *I* don't like 'em. There's a WORLD of difference.   You will note that I ALSO have acknowledged here that many of Apple's products sell as fast as they can make them, so obviously the majority of buyers don't share my views, and that's fine.   Feel free to disagree with everything I say, but knock off the bullshit about me just being contrary for the sake of it and my opinion being invalid....