or Connect

Posts by v5v

Just yesterday we were talking about Apple immediately selling everything they make as fast as they can make it. I guess we were wrong.   The context was a co-worker and me wanting Apple to make some design changes, but feeling that it was unlikely it will ever happen because you can't argue with success. Now I wonder...   Is it possible that declining sales of certain products are NOT the result of cannibalization by the iPad, but rather buyers just not being happy...
  If we could get a MacBook Air with cellular data we could dump the iPad altogether, especially if it supported SMS text messaging. Then all I'd need is a simple, voice-only telephone (iPhone 5C?).
  Not just scientific education. INTELLIGENCE is uncool.   Correct grammar and spelling have been replaced with an indignant "You knew (sic) what I meant!" If that were true it wouldn't matter, but often the lack of language skills obscures and confuses the message.   Kids need a solid foundation in math, science, language, music, art, sports and a craft or two (welding, carpentry, whatever). How many kids get all of those anymore? By the time they reach puberty we have...
  Yeah yeah yeah, bigger badder bolder better, but so what?   No one is disputing Thunderbolt's superiority, we're saying it's irrelevant. Try to come up with examples of how any of what you describe matters to a typical computer user. Geeks like us do stuff that will take advantage of what Thunderbolt offers, but typical consumers don't.   When's the last time your neighbor installed a card in a computer? Consumers don't play Multichannel 96KHz/24bit audio files, they...
  Yup, you nailed it. For the vast majority of the population even 5GHz USB is plenty.   Moving the kind of data streams that require the bandwidth of Thunderbolt is primarily the province of those who CREATE content. By the time said content is ready for consumption by a consumer it's no longer so bandwidth-intensive so TB is overkill.
  *YOU* know that, and *I* know that, but most people don't know and don't CARE. Facebook, email, a way to get the pictures out of the camera... that's all they do with their computer. And let's be honest, they don't NEED a "high-end" machine to do that.   Apple is doing its best to get those people into iPads instead of cheap computers, but it'll probably take a half-generation or so for the new paradigm to sink in.
  Busted. I "embellished."   We didn't actually discuss tablets at all. What we really said is that the reason Android phones are outselling iPhones may be greater selection (including larger screens) and lower pricing.   I just substituted "tablet" for "smartphone" to keep the point in line with the subject of the article! It didn't change the meaning or the point, which was and is:     Despite our complaints, Apple sells everything they make as fast as they can make...
Because I want to use Apple's app and not Google's I always try Maps first to gauge progress and then switch to Google if Maps fails. In the areas I travel, Maps is frequently wrong.   This week I was looking for a location in a more affluent neighbourhood. Maps recognized the obscure name of the LANEWAY between two buildings (not even a real street) and showed its location with pinpoint accuracy.   Hmmm...
A co-worker and I were discussing Apple yesterday. While we both like Apple products, we both feel that Apple products are too damn expensive and Apple's hardware choices are too confining. We agreed that Galaxy tablets are probably outselling iPads, and it's probably because iPads are so expensive. We KNOW that our friends and neighbours buy Windows computers instead of Macs because they can get them for $600 at Best Buy.   We also agreed that nothing is likely to...
  Or Jony and his team thought the buyer of that particular model is more concerned about a pretty, uninterrupted panel surface with no unsightly panel than in RAM upgrades.   Or adding a door would drive up the cost or complicate the manufacturing process for the smaller chassis.   Or some other explanation we haven't considered.   Overall the iMac strikes me as an exercise in bad choices -- so space constrained that a fast hard drive will burn up, and sealed up,...